1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding FIXED: Tornado to Rheobus? But what went wrong in the first place?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lchyi, 18 Aug 2003.

1. lchyi

lchyi New Member

Can a Vantec DC 12V Tornado Fan (80x80x38mm) start up using a rheobus? And can the wires be stripped on it to connect it to a three-pin header? I did this and this is the only fan that's not starting up on my computer.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2003
  2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Check it's wattage. If it's too high for the rheobus then you might blow the rheobus channel it's on.

And if you want to use a 3-pin connector to hook it up to your motherboard then I'd advise against it since it could well blow something on your board.

3. lchyi

lchyi New Member

FIXED: Well after many long minutes of deliberation, my friend and I just looked at the head we spliced onto the Tornado. The only thing we found on it that the other different working fans on the rheobus didn't have was the yellow tach wire on the third pin. It was just cut off really short, but still in there. I though the tach couldn't possibly have anything to do with the reason why it wouldn't work but we took another 3-pin header with two wires and spliced it onto the Tornado. Perfect, works like a million bucks. At 2200RPM the Tornado is nearly inaudible and has the same cooling effect as a 5000RPM Tornado. But the option's there so that's nice. So now....

Why didn't it work with a 3-pin header with three wires? I don't understand it. The third (yellow) wire, wasn't connected to anything, it was just snipped off.

Btw: my rheobus supports 20w on each channel, that's more than enough for a Tornado I think. Well, at least it hasn't blown a channel yet, and I've been running it at 2200RPM for a good 12 hours now.

4. NiHiLiST

No idea why it didn't work. Maybe a loose connection or something? Yeah, 20W is plenty for any fan. The highest powered retail computer fans I've seen are just below 9W.

5. tok3n

tok3n New Member

Don't forget to make sure the current the fan draws is within your rheobus specs.

6. NiHiLiST

Read the thread please tok3n.

7. bee2643

bee2643 New Member

perhaps your +ve and -ve leads were wrong, and when u rewired it u switched them again and it worked
    there is absolutely no reason why a wire that isnt connected to anything would be the source of the problem...wire the old plug back up the same way u have the current one set up...the only difference in the other plug is that the fan_spd wire is abit longer...poses no problem
    my money's on incorrect wiring :)

8. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I've seen the yellow/blue (sensor) wire kind of fold over and short out before :)

9. tok3n

tok3n New Member

I did. I'm probably confused but I meant you also should make sure the current in amps used by the fan is within the specs of the rheobus, in addition to the watts used by the fan.