1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Fixing Dodgy TFT! Help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DrunkenSlob, 14 Jun 2006.

1. DrunkenSlob

DrunkenSlob New Member

Hi people,

Im new to these forums :clap:

Recently, my laptop screen for my pc gave up on me. It used to flicker and turn it self on.. again and again.... till finally it would let you win!

Now the screen is really dimm! I think it may be to do with the backlighting element within the enclosure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have taken it apart and found a few pcbs. I think the trouble maker chip is a TDK TAD658 EA02658T as it has "high voltage" on a chip.

My TFT monitor doesn't have a brand name and I was hoping someone could tell me if i am right or could point me in the right direction

any replies grateful, thanks.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It may just be loose cabling within the sockets, try refitting them tightly

3. mandy_modded

mandy_modded New Member

if the flickering is like a flourescent tube that is old and failing then maybe you need a new ccfl backlight.

last week i found a supplier link in another thread on these forums, and finally my laptop screen is back to working order (5 days from order to arrival, usa to australia, so super fast.

http://www.lcdpart.com/index.html

They have a listing by the CCFL dimensions, so if your not sure of the brand then you can still search.

4. DrunkenSlob

DrunkenSlob New Member

The connections are fine.

Hmmm... just got the the 2x 2ccfls.

Is 4 normal? Also how do i test them... i.e. how much voltage should i apply across it to check??

5. DrunkenSlob

DrunkenSlob New Member

Just realised. If the ccfls are broken the resistance will read infinite. right?! doh!

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I'd take the oportunity to replace the ccfls with an array of leds.... by gosh will your battery life shoot up....

7. Starman97

Starman97 New Member

about 800-1200V :)

otherwise they are 'open' ie not ionized.

Look at the ends, are the blackened, that could mean the tubes are worn out.
    They only have about 5000 Hour life.

8. DrunkenSlob

DrunkenSlob New Member

thanks for the help guys :)

I wont do the LED option becuase Im inexperienced with electronics.

Ive ordered 4 ccfls off www.LCDpart.com.

Ill post any complications!

Cheers!

9. phil de fer

phil de fer New Member

Met the same bug

Hi,
    i met the same bug with a TDK module (exactly the same part number) on a Mitac 15" LCD screen.

As i can see my backlight inverter module, i can understand that a condenser has been melted. I went to the LCDPART web server (as showned in your posts) asking them for a new backlight inverter.

I just reveived their answer today... :waah:

TDK TAD658 is the correct part number, unfortunately, we do not have it in stock.

So, maybe there is another part number to do the same, but, if you don't mind replacing it by yourself.. :dremel: ..i think you can buy another screen (or just send me your TDK module, i'll get the condenser from your electronic module to repair mine.

Sorry. / regards