1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flaming PC *Finished* GF+PC pics up

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BadKarma, 17 Dec 2004.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys for all the compliments. I finished the touchups today and the back of the case that did not get covered well with black and was a little spotty. I will take some pictures soon of the *before* shots before i clear coat it and start the buffing etc. I also did the face plates but they could use some minor touchups where the colors mixed, but that wont take more then a few min. I think i will just finish this guinness, do the final touch ups then try and throw on a clear coat before it gets dark here. So later tonight pictures should be up :D

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

you got to clear coat it, i didnt one time and the paint just fell off. as a matter of fact, i still havent fixed that case...

3. BadKarma

i am, I am finishing my guinness first!!! lol

4. mattthegamer463

lol. howd you get the red paint to splash into the yellow like that? it looks great and i would like to know so i can tell my friend who is making a flame case.

5. BadKarma

well after I masked it off I spraied a layer of Red down over all the flames, normaly I would have done primer and then red but I was out of primer. After that I took the orange and went from the tips foward incresing speed and distance from the case as i got closer to the red using very light touch to build up the orange fade. then I aimed the can and spraid the circular parts inbetween the flames to create an outward burst of orange all of this is visiable in the pictures of the case b4 the tape was removed

after the orange the same process was used with the yellow but to a lighter degree because I only needed a tiny ammount of yellow to make it look like flames. Its hard to see what the flames will look like before the tape comes off so you have to rely on the tech. of fading it slowly, you can always add more red and start over. I did it a little too much and ended up running the paint and thats why I had to sand etc again but light coats work wonders.

On a side note I think I will give the touchups around the buttons and drive bays the night to cure a little, the longer the pain cures before the clear coat goes on the better otherwise it can rewet the paint and cause it to run which would completly ruin the paint job and I dont really have the time or patiance to start over again lol. I did not paint the floppy drive cover because It is recessed and might get a lot of wear, I think a sharpie will take care of it well and will last longer than paint and the drive is barily visiable so it should not be a problem

I will still however post pictures soon tonight of the case as it is now before the clear coat. so check back in a few.

6. mattthegamer463

cool. thats quite complicated. came together great for you though.

7. BadKarma

I found some more pictures my friend took when he was over of me painting etc. so i decided to post them

Here is me painting the base red flame color on the case

[​IMG]

Here is me waiting for the base color to dry before I went back out to go paint the orange and yellow fade. notice the drives and drive covers sitting on my desk and ignore the guinness draught in my hand. Beer is my secret to modding success :thumb:

[​IMG]

Here is the case all touched up and ready finally for the clear coat tomarrow morning

[​IMG]

notice their are now no longer any white spots and the buttons on the face are now done as well which brings me to the front of the case, it took some effert and hand painting but the front now looks pretty nice and simple color design, putting small bits of tape over clear parts like the HDD led and power LED in the center of the power button paid off at this point

[​IMG]

and then I took these last 2 pictures to show the current reflectiveness of the case.

[​IMG]

you can see how glossy the red is allready, and no I have no idea how a Ski resort "trails Merge" sign got into my room.

this picture shows the reflectiveness of the black, this side btw is the side i messed up on and had to respray black though you cant tell any more :D
    [​IMG]

so thats it for tonight, tomarro its time for a clear coat and some rubbing compound and hopefully it will be finished later tomarrow night

leave me some comments or suggestions as once I put my clear coat on their is no going back.

8. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Thats really cool....Looks really good. You didnt have any problems with the paint adhering to the plastic? I have a Dell (well my mom's.....maybe I should Mod it lol)

9. BadKarma

no not at all, the secret is to said the crap outta the dell till it loses the orange peel texture then prime with light coats and the paint should stick fine.

10. BadKarma

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

on my second layer of clear coat i sprayed to heavy and it started to run :waah:

my solution was to chase the running down the case with more clear coat so now it is supper glossy and i can only hope that it drys right, at least its only on the side i allready screwed up lol i think i know what side will be facing out haha

so that still has about 15 min till its dry and i bring it inside

after that I am getting some rubbing compound and buffing it to a nice finish I hope :sigh: should be done by tomarrow.

11. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

So, tell us, how was it?

12. BadKarma

Welll from what it looks like now it should turn out well with the over spray of the clear coat mostly not noticable and leaving a glass like shine to the case. I will take some pics soon before I go out for the night. Tomarrow I will be getting rubbing compound and finishing it off then putting all the parts back in and making sure it works, so tomarrow I guess is my finish date. but we will see how that works out

13. BadKarma

Ok so i decided to take pictures right away....

here is an angled shot of it still a little wet.. remember it is still going to get a good polishing etc when it drys... but look at that glossy shine!! its a mirror lol

[​IMG]

14. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

That's getting better and better :) On the top I still see some whiteish glow, but that's probably just a little light reflecting on there. My compliments!

15. mattthegamer463

nice! its really glossy, like a burning mirror... i need to clear coat my stuff, its all chipping, like my gunmouse, its more blue plastic than the grey it was. also, how do you change the thread subject? i need to know for my project log and i cant seem to figure out how.

16. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

That one puzzled me at first as well. It's a simple as editing the title of your first post to the log. So simple yrt it stumped me for a while.

17. BadKarma

After seeing how glossy the *bad* side came out so glossy i did the other good side and the top with another coat to get it near the same glossyness with out running. I will buff it in the morning and it should be ready to go

18. mondriaan

mondriaan What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far. :clap: :clap: Even with the *bad* glossy side.
    I don't see the difference.

Wish I could paint like that. :wallbash:

19. BadKarma

Go skiing... post pics..... go skiing.... post pics..... use my new $1,300 worth of skis to go sking... or post pics.... hmmmmm I think I have an obglation here, thats ok bc i still have to get rubbing compound and assemble it anyway, but it has to be finished by today anyway so. post with some pics later tonight

20. mattthegamer463

ya i just looked around for it and i found it.