1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Flat screens mountage in the lounge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skutbag, 7 Nov 2009.

1. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Here's one for those of you with desktop PC's in the lounge.

I've got a decent old tower PC that I want to be able to use while sat on the sofa in the lounge. Step one- replace massive old CRT with a 22" flat panel. Step two- find/make a suitable bit of furniture to mount the flat panel on so it can be swivelled into and out of the way.

As I write this I can feel my neck starting to seize up because I'm looking at the monitor at a funny angle- maybe only 10-20 degrees from central but this is no good for prolonged usage. I thought a laptop would be an okay solution but you're still looking down at it all the time, right? Also I was about to upgrade the desktop so I'm loathe to chuck it out.

So I guess that's the question- something that lets you use a desktop on the sofa (like a laptop) but gives you a proper viewing position like a desktop monitor. Before I go ahead and shell out a hundred or so for a desk+mounting arm I'd like to hear if anyone out there has done the same and what they'd reccomend.

The only thing I know so far is that the arm should hold 5kg+ and if possible not have to be mounted to a wall. Also any reccomendations for monitors that are good for mounting- I'm sure some have stands and bits that can't be removed- or maybe all the cables come out in the wrong place.... blah blah blah!

Cheers y'all