1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster flexible light bar wiring?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by highgeere, 16 Aug 2008.

1. highgeere

highgeere Not quite there.

I was looking for an LED strip for a project I'm working on, and I ended up picking up a couple of these flexible light bars. It wasn't until I actually got them that I started thinking about how I was going to power them. In retrospect, I should have just picked up something more suitable from a modding site. Anyway, the suggested method of powering these is using one of these 12V power supplies with a two pin adapter. However, I want to use the light bars in a mod project, and I don't really want to have to deal with another power cable just for the LEDs. So was wondering how reasonable it would be to wire something like this to a 4-pin connector, or if that would even work. Am I missing something obvious here, or are these light bars just not meant to be used by noobs?

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Theoretically you could just wire it up to the 12v and ground on a molex and it'd work, but I'm rubbish with electronics so if you want a circuit diagram ask someone else:p

3. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

It should work just fine off a Molex connector.

The spec for them says 12v DC, so that's the Yellow and Black wires in a Molex (Yellow=+12v and Black=0v).

Not had a good look, but I really can't imagine how it would overpower even the weakest PSU, unless you buck todays trend for massive overspec of your systems PSU.

4. highgeere

highgeere Not quite there.

Yeah, I think I'm going to give that a shot. The strips have a two-pin connector for every three LEDs, so you can cut it into three-LED sections. I can try this for one section, and if it doesn't work I'll just be out one section. Thanks.

5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Bannage coming up?