1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Flip video cameras to be axed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat New Member

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

This is crazy. Me and a bunch of my friends train gymnastics and freerunning regularly and out of a group of 10 or so, I'd say that 6 own Flip cams, 1 a full camcorder, 2 point and shoots and 1 DSLR. Everyone has a decent camera on their phone as well (at least 2MP) which is never used.

3. Saivert

Saivert New Member

meh. who cares.
    There will always be manufacturers of cheap portable and small video cameras like this.

Cisco just doesn't seem interested.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

I have on of the Flipshare Ultra HD cameras, fantastic little thing. Shame to see it all go, but at least I already have one :D

5. tyepye

tyepye Active Member

This seems a very strange decision. I know the market has a few of these style cameras out there, but the Flip brand would surely be worth something to Cisco?

From what I can remember the Flip cameras usualy came out on top when compared with other similar devices so you'd think that they would still be profitable. Me and my girlfriend have been looking at buying one once we had some money to put towards it, but I guess now I will have to go elsewhere.

6. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

Sanyo and Kodak do alright in this market too, so their sales will probably increase as a result of this.

The cameras on phones don't always fit the solution. I mean look at schools, they buy Flips. They're not going to give kids mobile phones to use instead of dedicated cheap cameras (or expensive camcorders) - this type of camera fit the bill perfectly well.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Upset to see this news....was sorely tempted to get one....

I would have thought selling off Flip would have been a better idea than just shutting it down?

8. mjm25

mjm25 New Member

^this

9. alf-

alf- Member

not to surprised, with video quality on camera phones and digital cameras getting better and with actual proper camcorders getting both smaller and cheaper, it was only a matter of time for this to happen.

10. lacuna

lacuna Member

I have one and its excellent. I had noticed that the range hasn't really changed for ages though so I guess that explains why

Tags: Add Tags