1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding on Win7?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Tim S, 28 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Out of interest, has anyone done any Folding testing on Windows 7 - I'm wondering if there's a performance boost or loss on there. I'm considering upgrading my work machine to Win7RC when it's out for the productivity increase, but I'm wondering if it'll hit my Folding productivity.

I may look to run the SMP client via VMWare going forwards, too after DocJonz's mention that it might improve PPD further.

2. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

From what I recall of my brief foray with Windows 7, it didn't make much of a difference either way on my HD3870.

3. bigtoyota479

bigtoyota479 What's a Dremel?

I've been running Win7 since it became a public beta, and I can say that it's just like folding on Vista. No real advantage or disadvantage when it comes to points. That means no points boost either, unfortunately.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

+1 on that, I folded a couple of WU's whilst I was running the 7 beta and saw no instability or noticeable loss/ gain in PPD.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

That's good news... I think I'll go ahead with the upgrade :)

6. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Post removed by user.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2010
  7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You're not alone, someone asked in this thread as well. It's a distributed computing project that uses hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide to complete complex simulations on the behaviour of proteins in the human body, namely how they fold and misfold. It's distributed as a client (program) that you install on your computer and after being configured correctly it downloads and processes work units using your computers spare CPU or GPU clock cycles.

You've probably only noticed it appear recently because the Bit-Tech folding team was amalgamated with the Custom PC team when CPC joined the Bit-Tech forums. Folding teams are teams of different users that compete against each other to complete as many work units (which are awarded point values) as possible and obtain a higher world rank.

8. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

So its still not as fast as XP then!