1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Fonts in Windows 7 look awful

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cupboard, 22 Jun 2009.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Hello! more computer problems, sorry.
    Up until Windows 7 I have avoided ClearType like the plague because, for me, it makes text less readable and I find fuzzy round the edges. I prefer my computer experience with it turned off.

On installing Windows 7 I went to the options and turned off ClearType as the fonts looked awful, and turning it off made them go from horrible to bordering on un-readable, especially italics which seem to have pixels missing. The lack of ClearType makes all the text really weedy.

So I decided to give ClearType a chance - and I did for a week. And I still hate it, for example the thin red line between the u and n of un-readable really should not be there. Nor should the fuzzy halo round each letter. Most pictures look fine, the notable exception being the bit-tech smilies, and the screen is at is native resolution. I have gone through the ClearType options and looked at all the different preview boxes and none of them are any good.

I was wondering if Windows might think the my pixels go RGB and they actually go BGR or something odd like that.

Suggestions?

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I have cleartype switched off because I'm using CRT's and seven looks fine for me, it must be a setup error or dodgy driver.

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Somehow you have the settings messed up, yes. It's not supposed to be the way you describe.

It really could happen that the subpixels on your screen are BGR as opposed to the default RGB, but you said you've checked all the options in Cleartype setup. It's in there.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

It does have a tweaker, but I haven't seen a "wrong way round pixel" option so I will look a bit harder for that. I think that is unlikely seeing as other bit-techers have the same screen as me (24" Yuraku).

Thanks for all the replies :)