1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Football Manager 2011 Pre-Match Interview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I get the feeling this will be a minor update year in many ways. The shift towards a conversation-based game is definitely a good move, but it will take another year or two I suspect before the transition is completely finished, with it covering injuries, press, training, team-talks, transfers, board meetings and so on all in the same manner. Getting there though, can't wait until it's completed.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Nov 2010
  3. Tr1p0d

Tr1p0d New Member

I used to love the CM/FM series but it's become so detailed and so accurate that it's really lost that quick pick-up-and-play aspect. I know it's a sim, but having to deal with every aspect of set pieces, training, adapting tactics every 10 minutes during a match etc., just gets boring and tiresome. I still play CM 01/02. Basic, fun, and if you have a spare 15 minutes, you can get a couple of games in and all you have to worry about is the fitness of your players, and your team selection.

I've always hoped they would give you options as you start a new career which would allow you to disable or enable certain elements (kinda like easy/medium/hard), so if you did want to fell really stuck into it you could adapt and change everything but when you just want to have a quick fart about then things would be much more simplified. I still wait....

4. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

hey all

snootyjim, board meetings are already conversation-based in FM11, but I can see your point - if it gets rolled out into other areas, that'll be great.

Tr1p0d - try the FM11 demo and you might be surprised. The GUI-based tactics and set-piece creators are really easy to use, and there are some very helpful explanations in the game now to get you up and going quickly.

5. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Well I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight as my copy arrived in the post today!

I've been playing it since the first release in DOS and have bought it every year except for the 09 version; where I wasn't given the option of opting out of the data collection. I am happy for them to collect the data, as long as I have the option to say no.

I am still against the advertising on the ad boards, but thankfully I can block that with my firewall.

I really hope that they have improved the press conferences. I got so sick of the repetition in FM10 that I just selected the Ass Man to go to them all.

I quite like all of the extra detail in the game. It can be a pain setting it all up, but once done, it's pretty easy to keep on top of. The default settings are pretty good though, so if you don't want to go into it in depth, you can still play.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

my opinion also when champ man moved from 2 -> 3 it lost its basic charm for me, i still think Premier Manager 3 is the best football management game ever (despite a couple of bugs)

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I can't get into Football Manager 2010 theres too much going on, the last management game I played propely was Championship Manager 01/02. CM4 was too big a jump for me and so didn't play a management game until I got FM2010 in a Steam sale.
    Seeing Hereford United fail to score for the 7th game in a row is demoralising.

8. Hakuren

Hakuren New Member

Hmm... I don't know. I used to love CM, but for me last playable version was CM03/04. Still have the CD and playing. Every next CM put too much steam into the whistle and too little into work. I will never tolerate 3D and all that useless graphical rubbish.

New FMs are far too complicated, annoying (interface), heavy and slow. First played some CM clones on C64, new FM are nothing like that. CM/FM family took wrong turn somewhere in 2005. Disinterested with the series unless it move back to good old days, when it was fun, playable and addicting more than heroine, LSD and nicotine put together.

9. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Dude...Dude soccer? Cmn now

10. ruffruff

ruffruff New Member

I reckon the FM series has sort of evolved from the more mainstream footy games like fifa by giving the player more of a RPG sense if that makes any sense. Much like the sims, FM i reckon, depends alot on the player's vested interest in the sport: it's history and culture to fulfill a good gaming experience.
    Personally having followed the series since the earlier versions, there has been a clear and obvious attempt to distinct itself as less of an " immediate feel good game" but more of one with more forethought, planning and strategy required. This i feel, sets the game apart from all the other 'manager' styled games.
    What i dont get is people complaining about how the game has changed. There are obviously other games which cater to simpler audiences. FM is obviously for people who love the 'beautiful game' in a more intellectual capacity.

@Siwini, the whole world plays FOOTBALL and America stands as the lone sullen kid who refuses to join cos he wants to be 'special'. Get a clue already.

Tags: Add Tags