1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Football Manager and the Fun of Failure

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Mar 2011.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I agree that 01/02 was the climax of the series, people forget that champ man was made by SI back then, Si now make Football Manager which is the true successor to the original Champ Man....the current Champ Man series limps on under a well known publisher.

FM11 is really very good, it takes a bit of getting used to, but can definately be as easy or difficult as you want, the tactical overhaul did a fantastic job.

2. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Its a bloody awful simulation then!

The more recent instances of FM have, imho, been too reliant on form. Which might explain why your season has fallen apart for no reason.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It's awful because it's hard? I don't think so, sorry.

A simulation is awful when elemental parts (physics in a flight simulator, ball physics in a football game, transfer system in a manager simulation, ...) are flawed. This is obviously not the case here. It's "just" a case of investing time or not.

Sure they could have made things a bit easier by not making the game so hard in the later stages but then you'd have hardcore gamers (the true fan base, the people buying the latest version each and every year) complaining about that. I agree that finding the balance isn't easy and I'm not saying they did it right but there will always be people who find it to hard/easy.

In my opinion a simulation should be so hard as to boarder on the frustrating. Else it's arcade or casual gaming.

4. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Cheers perplekks, I must admit, I did get just a little carried away with it all there! :)

I've never actually got around to reading any Lord Dunsany, though I probably aught to, (he's one on a very long 'to-do' list, including the likes of Robert Burns). So many writers, so little time...

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

By the way, I agree that simulators shouldn't necessarily be easy, as that's not really the point of them. The sense of satisfaction and achievement on winning something difficult is magnified untold times when compared to something which you simply do first time out.

And let's face it, winning the Premiership is difficult.

Just ask spurs... :)

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A little, yes. ;)

Add Arthur Machen & HP Lovecraft to the list. Well worth the read. :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags