1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice For a £400 upgrade, would I benefit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boscoe, 20 Mar 2018.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Hi all,

I've been out of the PC space for a few years now and I'm surprised how things have flown by, I don't know what anything is anymore! I have an 1156 CPU and some RAM kicking around, I couldn't believe it when I saw it was 8 years old! Then I looked at the age of my i5-2500k, 7 years!

I fancy upgrading for the reliability, because I'm moving all my tech into a 19" rack (plan on going from mini ITX to mATX) and, you know, because I can. However, I don't have any problems with the speed of my PC and so I wonder if spending £400 on CPU, motherboard and RAM I would see any benefit in my day to day? I use my PC for electronics work so programs like Eagle which are quite lightweight, Fusion 360 and Quartus.

Part of this thread was to demonstrate my age perhaps! But I am interested, I can't believe my PC is that old and still going fine.

2. adidan

adidan Avatar is in season. See it while stocks last.

Depends, does it still do what you need it to?

The reality is that with the markets how they are you'd be looking at less than £250 for a cpu and mobo after buying 16gb of RAM.

Not sure you'd see any benefit tbh from the sounds of it. True, newer cpus are getting bios support for spectre/meltdown but it looks like this may be getting to older cpus (not sure on which ones).

3. true_gamer

true_gamer Well-Known Member

Personally, I would wait till next year to upgrade. Maybe keep with what you have and get a 2600K cheap? As I've had a 4670K for several years, and was looking to upgrade, but DDR4 had no performance benefit, and the 4670k was as fast as a 7600k in games. So it would of been a side grade for more money. In the end, I just picked up a 4790K cheap, and will run with that until we get CPU's that don't have the security flaws, and hopefully by then, DDR4 would of started to come down in price too.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wait for Ryzen +. It's literally two weeks away. Even if you were dead set on Intel that is fine, because it will force Intel to react. Either with lower prices or more for your money.

5. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

+1

6. Vault-Tec

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That system config is dumber than I’ve seen in a while. A 1TB laptop drive to run benchmarks...? Highly, highly doubtful.

8. Vault-Tec

I dunno man. A lot of people use laptop drives now. I know I do, mostly. It's definitely coming. Even if it does not come very soon it will have to eventually. Ryzen + = faster clocks on 8/16. Which will probably mean they are faster in stuff like CB, despite a clock deficit. And Intel know this..

Weren't they releasing Z470 this summer?

9. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Hi, all. Now Ryzen is here, what's the status? I heard it's not as good as it was thought to be?

10. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Well it is better than the old Ryzen, problem of course is that old Ryzen has dropped in price, plus there is a blue elephant in the room in the shape of the £200 i5-8600k which when OC'd makes a mockery out of most more expensive other CPUs for many use cases, regardless of Intel or AMD.

Last edited: 18 May 2018
  11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

7 year old CPU, pah, my daily gaming rig is almost 10! still max games no problem.

12. David

David RIP Tel

To the OP: Do you own an SSD?

If not, then that's definitely job one - no other upgrade is as noticeable as an SSD, if you're still rocking a HDD for the OS.

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

adidan Avatar is in season. See it while stocks last.

Oh yeah. SSD and gpu.