1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[For Sale] AMD Dual 12-core servers - amazing folding performance!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by CraigWatson, 17 Nov 2011.

1. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

I know this should technically belong in the Marketplace section, but it's not my personal kit and F@H guys should see this.

We are selling the AMD servers that I was previously using for Folding@Home - they're dual 12-core Opterons with 16GB RAM, as featured in CPC's "Folder of the Month" feature a few months back!

I'm sad to see these leave, but disk I/O is a bit rubbish and we can't find a purpose for them. I/O isn't mentioned in the listing as we don't want to ward off potential bidders but be warned they do have substantial sustained I/O issues - we've spent weeks trying to debug this and have come to the conclusion that it's an inherent issue with the chipset/NB.

Luckily F@H isn't I/O intensive so if you have some cash to spare and you're looking for a bargain (and can afford the power of these babies!), please bid, I'd prefer to keep the points within the CPC/BT team :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180757293008

Thanks,
    Craig

// Edit: I should mention that they're being sold individually, so the auction is just for one server, though we have four available. We'll consider ending the auction if someone puts in an offer for all four and we think the price is reasonable, PM me for more details :)

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  2. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

The Marketplace is there to keep sales in one place. Don't be surprised if a mod says something.

Also, in the marketplace, the rules for sales say:

7. No auctions or links to auctions (including 'Buy It Now' style sales). These forums are for friendly transactions between users. They are not free advertising space for your eBay items.

So your thread may get removed, as you have advertised an external auction.

Also, if the system was used for folding, that would be considered heavy usage. The listing says they have not been heavily used. That might be considered fraudulent.

Sorry for picking holes, just don't want you to get in trouble for trying to be helpful.

3. CraigWatson

Fair points, just thought I'd try to offer it to the right market rather than just general sale. It's also technically not my own kit (it's my employer's) so not sure if it comes under the Marketplace rules. I'm happy to take a mod's word though :)

The folding was on one server for 2 weeks while we were trying to work out what to do with them - no server has been subject to heavy load, though two have had the motherboards replaced under warranty from HP after suffering an intermittent overnight power off scenario where iLO would report that power was pulled for no reason and we'd come in to find the server off.

Other "usage" would consist of load-testing I/O to troubleshoot the inconsistent issues (we originally thought this was our FC SAN, but having tested with SSDs, and 15k SAS drives locally, and using CentOS and Ubuntu, we've come to the conclusion that it's hardware-based).

It's up to the buyer to determine their definition of "heavy" usage - some would consider "heavy" to mean consistent high load over a period of months (almost certainly the case with a server).

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Craig, how much does each server pull from the wall ?

Do you have all the manuals and disks etc?

5. CraigWatson

No disks/manuals, though you can download both from the HP website

According to the HP Power Advisor, they'll draw 178.28W idle, and 347.1W at 100% load, including 2 x 72GB 15k 2.5" SAS HDDs (which we're not selling) - 168.79W idle and 332.49W without the disks :)

6. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

@ Craig ... PM sent