1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films For those of you looking forward to Avatar...

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 4 Nov 2009.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

my work college went to see it with his brother and he said it was the best movie of all time, he saw the 3d version on a big screen.

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Normally I'd agree with you, but luckily she isn't ever on screen for very long, albeit in her typecast one-dimensional role (I swear she plays the same character in exactly the same way in every single film she's been in).

And no, she still can't act for s*** ;)

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Saw it last night in 3D. Good film, good story and well put together.

Although, did anyone else think the story was a little bit similar to:
    FernGully

4. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

I think it was closer to Dances with Wolves.
    Even though the story has been done repeatedly, the pacing of the movie was spot on. Also, the concept of of being able to 'plug' into Gaia (called Ehwa in the movie) is a pretty cool idea.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Oh. I guess that's a good thing, then.

And it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who think she is an awful "actress".

6. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Went to see it for the same reason I watch any movies on the big screen: the visuals. And I must say, they were stunning in 3D. Going to go again just to gawk at the pretty pictures.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

It's like everyone is willing to drop the fact that the plot was pants, for the pretty eye candy.

All my mates have seen it 2-3 times. I fell asleep from boredom the first time through :(

8. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I liked it, but it reminded me a lot of Crysis - the graphics were pretty, the action was good, but the story was pretty poor.

9. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Indeed. The destruction of forest and the big tree thing(not really a spoiler this one, it's already in the trailer :p). IMO it's a mixture of
    Pocahontas, Dances With Wolves, FernGully

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

No, I saw this (NSFW/A). Furries are evil, trust me. And the ones that aren't evil, they're at least partially deluded and/or insane. And the ones that aren't insane are crippled by low self-esteem and poor image. And the ones that aren't that, I just have to wonder why they bother, because there's no reason for it in a good, sane world.

edit - oh, but I'm definitely seeing Avatar, still. A few deviant sexually repressed mid-life-crisis-suffering freaks aren't going to stop me enjoying it; though the storyline sounds a bit thin and morally loaded.

11. casey_cole

casey_cole Minimodder

I saw it tonight in 2D (3D makes me a bit queezy sometimes, and I didn't want to take any chances) - I thought it was fantastic. Not only because of the stunning visuals, but also the plot and characters were strong too IMO.

The Na'vi were believable and realistic, the villains weren't cartoonish (just) and the plot was engaging and tense. Serious contender for my favourite ever film.

CC

12. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Defiantly the best looking film I've ever seen, and best use of 3D. Shame the plot was a little predictable. A 5* film for sure.

13. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Call it Dances with Smurfs, Call it Fern Gully. Call it what you want.

I just call it

AWESOME.

:rock:

I'm now totally sold on 3D - I didn't find it intrusive, like I have on other movies. And the attention to detail is just staggering - from the tiles on the shuttle to the amazingly believable fauna and flora. I particularly liked the insect that took off like a helicopter.

I was so engrossed with the Navii parts of the film, I got peeved when Jake woke up.

As for the predictability of the plot - well, yes, the good guys win as the Hero goes native. So what. It was damn good yarn well told.

I for one am looking forward to a return trip to Pandora. :thumb:

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Same, I'm sold on the 3D, it was excellent. Film almost totally avoided furry bait, too, which was a relief.

The moral overtones were a bit nauseating at times, and one line that Spoony pointed out really just made me double-take:

Macho army colonel (regarding the bow-wielding little blue people): "We will fight terror with terror!"

Other than that hilariously terrible piece of script, I enjoyed it. It's like crysis - a middling, unremarkable story and totally unoriginal ideas, but so goddamn gorgeous that it doesn't matter.

edit -
    Are...are you sure? :(

15. casey_cole

casey_cole Minimodder

I've never been so captivated by any film. I felt like a little kid, engrossed in the action. I felt sad that I'd never be able to see it for the first time again - do you know what I mean?

It was corny in places (not as corny as this post :p), but it was spectacular.

CC

16. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

If only I could claim those 3 hours back... Ferngully remade I must agree! Flamin rubbish!

Andy

17. xrain

xrain Minimodder

[​IMG]

I would defiantly rate it as one of my top5 movies of all time. I actually went and seen it twice and thought it was just as good, if not better the second go around.

The 3D is definitely a huge asset to the film.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Just saw it at the IMAX 3D... I must say, absolutely gorgeous effects. The story wasn't bad either, the end was totally predictable but w/e, very enjoyable movie though 3 hours is a bit long.

Totally worth a watch though, I think I might even go again, the 3D looked truly stunning.

19. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Really a fantastic film. Sure, the visuals are amazing and reason enough to pony up the dough to see it in the theaters but what I was surprised about was that the story was good and engaging - quite a lot more than I thought it would be considering what I had heard before going in. Also surprising was that I never felt like I was getting beaten over the head with political or environmental issues (I am quite sensitive to that stuff in my entertainment) so I am not sure where that is coming from when I see it mentioned.

I will say that Avatar is very anti-military. The main antagonist is unwavering, his grunts, with one exception, mindless thugs, and the main character's moral issues stem from a life of being a "dumb" soldier. Dances with Wolves mixed with Aliens would be an accurate description. Don't try to tell me the main battleship in Avatar and the Colonial Marine dropship don't share the same DNA ;)

The experience is still sticking with me a good 2 hours after I walked out of the theater...lets see how I feel in a week. 8 or 9 out of 10.

20. quietguy

quietguy D'orc