1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films For those of you looking forward to Avatar...

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 4 Nov 2009.

1. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Can't believe it stole best Drama from The Hurt Locker at the Golden Globes last night, the generic nature of the story should have precluded it from winning no matter how awesome everything else is.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Have to agree, it's a lot of cool things but a good drama isn't one of them -_-

edit- actually, no, it is a good drama, kind of. I dunno. The central plot of him and the Na'vi is really well-done. It's just the script that weakens it really, and everything being so borrowed. But is originality a necessary condition of quality? I haven't decided yet...

Man I need to see it again, is it still showing in cinemas in 3D?

3. October

October Mariachi Style

Yeah, it's still showing in 3D everywhere here anyways. Nothing new out in 3D yet, Toy Story 2 re-release on the 22nd is the next one I think.

I think the fact that the script was written about 15 years ago might have had an adverse effect... I think if you tell a story well enough, it doesn't need to be anything new. My favourite part is the almost dialogue free "becoming a man" section, absolutely excellent film-making.

4. boiled_elephant

I love the subplot of his escape from disability more than anything, the way the avatar becomes his primary existence and returning to his body becomes secondary. It's just so well-done.

Also I need to see the full 'sex scene'. Not to get off - I don't really find hair braiding all that hot - but out of morbid curiosity as to how well or badly it was done. I think it speaks volumes of how well they did the Na'vi that nobody in the cinema laughed or scoffed during the brief, edited love scene. It just worked: uncanny valley finally didn't apply.

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but are you actually holding 2012 up as a superior piece of cinema than Avatar? The mind boggles...

This. I felt his pain every time he "woke up". And the absolute depth of imagination and obvious painstaking research behind every frame... When compared to other "visionary" movies (9 springs to mind, very disappointed in Mr. Bekmambatov) its absolutely stunning.

The only bad points as far as I'm concerned:
    - The final fight, I mean
    you go to all the trouble of building a suit that technologically advanced (motion controlled mech cheesecake) and in the end it has to pull out a knife (??) and still gets its ass kicked by a bow and arrow? Didn't buy it.
    - Sigourney Weaver. Friend of mine came out of watching it and said she felt Sigourney carried the movie. I pretty strongly disagreed, I think she hammed it up big time. Especially when I watch her scenes again, very dodgy, especially compared with Zoe Saldana.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2010
  6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Sigourney Weaver in human form did seem very weak and cheesy, but her Avatar performance was superb.

7. October

October Mariachi Style

I did think all the Avatar acting was awesome, very natural feeling. I read somewhere that EVERY Na'vi is unique, pretty impressive.

8. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Saw it a few days ago in 3D. Visuals were just godlike, loved the stupid attention to detail in every scene. You have to give James Cameron some credit for creating a detailed world and ecosystem for Pandora. CGI was super convincing, it was quite surreal. Story wasn't original without many surprises, but was very enjoyable none the less. Class blockbuster material anyone?

Scarily good for being part CGI huh! I think Zoe Saldana did an outstanding job with her part, it was very, very convincing.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yes, you did read it wrong, although on second glance I think I just phrased it wrong. The last comment was directed at 2012, where even though it had stunning CGI, it was still a truly, truly awful film :)

And agreed on Sigourney Weaver's performance, it felt very forced.

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Avatar up for 9 Oscars - Best Picture, Direction, Art Direction, Cinematography, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Original Score, Film Editing, Visual Effects.

I reckon it's a shoe in for Visual Effects & Cinematography.

Most likely best picture as well - You can't argue with $2Bn in takings (and still counting)

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I reckon it might be a good bet for sound mixing too.

12. boiled_elephant

I've been heckling several of my friends who haven't seen Avatar to go and see it with me, because I really wanted to see it again in 3D, but they won't. Bloody phillistines :(

13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

If it get's best direction I will officially have no faith left in the Oscars, that award belong to The Hurt Locker, just like best Actor belonged to Mickey Rourke last year.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

The Hurt Locker is a phenominal film, I was on the endge of my seat on more then one occasion.

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Plus it's got that added bit of rivalry that it's Cameron's ex-wife who directed it.