1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forbidden Kingdom

Discussion in 'General' started by Tsen, 22 Apr 2008.

1. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

I just got back from the theater.

Honestly, I was kind of disappointed. I mean, the fight scenes were as good as you'd expect, but it was definitely more of a Chan movie than a Jet Li movie. I like Jackie Chan as much as the next guy, but his movies always have more childish, simplistic plots nowadays. I expected more out of Li, seeing as how his last few (Hero, Fearless, etc) were all epic and artistically beautiful. And I suppose I was at least a bit annoyed by the fact that they cast a white guy as the main character. That's just never clicked with me in martial arts movies. (And no, I don't like Chuck Norris. Mr. T is the new Chuck Norris.)

Anyway, I don't want to give away spoilers, but it had sort of a "Poof! Everybody's alive and happy!" ending, rather than the sort of bitter-sweet ones in Hero and Fearless.

In short, I'd give it a 3/5. Decent attempt, nice fight scenes, fairly good costumes, but it was let down by a frankly poor leading actor and childish plot and dialogue.

Tags: