1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Ford Granada 2.9 - should I?

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 13 Feb 2007.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I have been offered one of these on the cheap, it has MOT and everything, and leather heated seats/leccy windows etc - it's an Automatic too. Insurance is for some reason quite cheap for me so I am thinking of buying it as it seats 5 in comfort (and my van certainly doesn't!)

Anything to watch out for with these? Are they rear-wheel drive or front? What is the fuel economy going to be like?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

MK III?

If it is, (AKA scorpio) then there's a chance it'll be 4WD, otherwise it's RWD.

My only real piece of advice is check the wheel arches, they're usually first to rust through.

For fuel economy, it's an old 2.9L engine so not great TBH.

3. Rav

Rav New Member

How long is the MOT good for? If it's the better part of a year, and the car is more or less all there, even if it fails in a year it won't owe you much and just scrap it and move on.

Being auto and a big petrol car fuel economy probably won't be very good though.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd say go for it - big saloons are often nice runners, and last for bloody ages, even when they start to rust.
    Fuel economy won't be fantastic, but if it costs you nothing to start with, and nearly nothing to insure, why not?

5. padair

padair Inebriated

They were a decent enough car in their day, like Rav says, if it's got a longish MOT tehn go for it. The insurance is cheap as they're not a boy racer's type of thing and most reps using their allowance would have picked a small Beemer rather than move up a class with Ford.

6. evileclipse

evileclipse Toxic Waste!

do it i had a mk3 granada saloon for years

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Errr.. word of warning... the 2.9 cologne V6 drinks!!! I used to have a XR4x4 with the same engine, in a lighter car, and unless I drove like I had a jar of nitro-glicerine on the passenger seat, it returned 18mpg!

8. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Pooky speaks the truth! I've had the XR4X4 and a Granada (only a Ghia Though) and on a run I used to get low to mid 20's.

Nice cars though, the Granada was very comfortable and despite all the electric goodies, very easy to maintain yourself.

One thing that did drive me nuts was the squeaking from behind the dash. There are so many bundles of cables there they rub on each other. Quite a easy fix if you have time.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Having said that however, it IS a great engine. It's a bit asthmatic.. 150bhp from a 2.9 is pretty pathetic, but it sounds nice, and he's right, it's simple to maintain. The 2.9 uses the Bosch LE2 injection system which is slightly more complicated than the Bosch K mechanical system used on the 2.8 version found in older models and the earlier XR sierras, but it's still an old school OHV V6. I used to take mine apart just for the fun of it. Dead easy to maintain. Sounds great (if you keep your valve clearances set right) and has bags of torque really low down in the rev range.

Just be prepared for around 20mpg.

10. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

And bucket loads of over steer on the Granny :rock:

11. jon bda

jon bda New Member

If its the 24v (Cosworth) V6 buy it and run it 'til the mot runs out then flog it to someone with an XR4x4 or 4i Sierra...
    :)

Tags: