1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors ford mondeos

Discussion in 'General' started by samuelellis, 20 Dec 2003.

1. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

right ive seen a for mondeo for cheap & im thinking are they good cars

as far as ai know its a 1.8 turbo diesel, group 8 (would i see much difference in insurance as my current car is a group 9 1.9 non turbo diesel)

si there anyithg to watch out for on them

& are they fun to drive

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The Mondeo is not a bad car but its not a good car either, this was when Ford started to turn the corner and actually startmaking decent cars again.
    It all depends what you need the car for, it is ideal if you are going to be driving a fair few miles or motorway driving, thats what its designed for.
    They are not bad looking and have plenty space, but your not going to be able to throw it about and have fun with it.
    Like I say its good at what it does and it wont cost you an arm and a leg to buy and run.

3. samuelellis

im in a old rover atm so what does that say

i had heared that the modeos are farely chuckable (not by your standards as the engine is in the wrong palce for you init)

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Nothing wrong with the Rover, I used to have a 216SLi and loved it until it fell to peices with rust.

5. samuelellis

i will admit i will be sad to see my rover go but i reccon its gonna ahve to eventually

6. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

dad has had 2 of them and they do alright. Never had any major problems with either of them altho there are a few things to look out for.

The earliest model mondeos had problems with the steering alignment which caused excesive wear on the inside of the front wheels. this is quite well known and prob documented. Also we had a probs with the electrics in our 1st one but never worked out what it was and never seemed to cause any probs.

on all of them I'd watch out for worn seals around doors and light assemblies (our boot was completely flooded recently cause of this.) Also check the air conditioning works if there is any.

7. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Mondeos are dirt cheap second hand and you get a lot of motor for your money, certainly if you have £1k or something compare the sort of Fiesta that will buy with the Mondeo that costs the same and its plain to see that bigger cars make better second hand buys.

The Mondeo is supposed to be one of the best handling cars in its class, better than the old Vectras or Cavaliers, and the 405...the Pug 406 is probably equal to the Mondeo though.

The Mondeo diesel engines were poor though compared to the Peugeot or Citroen offerings though so an early Mondeo Diesel won't be any great shakes (where as the TDCi engines are pretty good as diesels go).

Mondeos are very very common, so you can be relatively picky and try and find one that fits your specifications :) which is a good thing...

8. samuelellis

yea i saw one cheap & thats whats got me thinking, unfortunately the pug options are relatively expensive for the options i have

tbh the old repmobile cars are fatnastic first or 2nd buys arent they

9. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Mondeo - fast(ish), comfortable and responsive to drive. The suspension is soft, as you'd expect for a rep-mobile and there is a fair amount of body roll. The seats are lovely, as is the driving position. The boot is gigantic.

The handling is by far the best in its class but the TD engine is horrid. I've got a 2.0l petrol which just got me to Wales and back on about £60 worth of petrol.

Tags: