1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forgot lock combo

Discussion in 'General' started by mattthegamer463, 17 Mar 2008.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

After 5 long months of weather unsuited for biking, its starting to warm up. Today however, I realized that I do not any longer know the combination to my $40 bike lock. Its a Bike Guard 1500, and uses 4 rotating rings with 0-9 on each. Does anyone know of a way I can find my combination without spinning through every single possible one? I have tried all the numbers I remember, but nothing has worked and I've only managed to waste a hour of my life thus far.

Its one of these. http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/402-431773

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

dremmel? There are a lot of combinations it may be easier just to destroy the lock with a suitable tool and replace it.

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Well if you did one combination a second it would only take 2 and half hours maximum, but perhaps you could try giving the manufacturer an email? If you can manage to prove that you do actually own the lock they might be able to tell you something useful.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Try to pull really hard on the wire while you slowly turn one of the wheels at a time. Om many locks you can feel a very weak click on one of them. You will only be able to feel it on one at a time, so you have to try all 4 until you find one number, then follow the same method on the other 3 without moving the first one.

This works best on cheap and new locks, but if you are lucky you could figure it out.

5. Major

Major Guest

Any help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfj4D8yUXw

I had a problem like this, but basically I left it so long it got pretty jammed, and even though I had the right combination, it was bloody hard to get it out.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

+1, the way to picking quite a few locks.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

That must be the cheapest bike lock ever! :hehe:

Would probably be easier to just give the chain a yank until it brakes.

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I tried the videos method, pulling on it doesn't make it move nearly at all, and theres a click after each turn of any of the rings but none make a distinctly different sound. After two minutes of turning I can't find a consistency. Its a quality heavy duty lock, you can't really buy much better. The cables the width of my finger, its probably the biggest lock I've ever seen.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The whole idea behind combo locks is to make it impossible to have a method that bypasses knowing the combination. You can bet that if the info existed, the first people to get it would be thieves.

I think you're in for a few wasted hours of random guesswork.

10. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

Stick something like the Lord of the Rings on and relax ;)
    You'll save yourself the $40 for a replacement that way too.

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

2nd that, it's the best technique. Done it in the past at work when bored, takes a few minutes if that, unless it's a really well made lock which combi's generally are not.

Or you good spend a few $ on some cheap bolt cutters :p

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

From the responses, you lose either way.
    • If the lock can be easily picked, you've wasted $40;

• If it can't, you'll end up destroying a $40 lock.
    Life is a series of learning experiences. :sigh:

How about a hypnosis session to recall the combination? :idea:

13. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I have a similar style lock, if you can move the rings slightly to see the dimple created by the plastic that slips over the metal nipple signifying that is the number. I had one with numbers completely worn off from my tires, and thats how i' figured out the combo after a long while.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

It would probably cost you more time to find a quick method of unlocking it, than it will take to do it the hard way... ;)

15. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I had done the same thing on a 4 combo spinning lock. But I developed a method to crack the combination. I had a small ammount of play between the rod with the teeth and the spinning rings that are the combination. I basicly pulled at the rod end and spun the numbers till I got more play. Basicly did this with all four and did eventually get it unlocked, took like 30-40 mins if I recall, but if you have sensitive fingers and can feel the play between then you should be able to get it (assuming you have at least a half decent ammount of play to begin with)

:)

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Was about to say that. If you practice then you can get through a number of different locks with that method and use it as a method for picking padlocks even. Certainly entertained me through a mischievous childhood.

17. thestig198

thestig198 Minimodder

If it takes 1 second to try each number then in under 3 hours you could have tried them all. It would be possible to do it in even less time than that if you clamp one side of the combination then turn the dials while pulling on the other side.

18. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

If it's a good lock, the only way to get it open will be to spin through every possible combination. Fortunately, as tom_goodyear says, even at the relatively slow rate of one number per second, it'll take a bit under three hours to try all possible combinations. It's mindless enough work that you can put on a good movie while you work.

But don't forget to try 3141 first. ;)

19. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Blow torch. Cough cough

20. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Just grind it out matey. It's unlikely that it'll take the full 3 hours either, as that assumes the number is 9999. If your number is like 2459 or something, it'll take you roughly 40 minutes. Of course, if you can't be assed, it's probably better to go for the boltcutter.