1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other FORUM UPDATE/CHANGELOG THREAD

Discussion in 'General' started by bit-tech, 30 Jun 2017.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I don't mind either a like system or a rep system. I'm pretty easy really, either is good by me :)

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

OK so not much different. Honestly we'll probs keep the like system and just rename it rep but I'll see.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't get why the old system hid the fact that you had repped someone's post. Regardless, it's hardly a big deal - whichever way you choose to go, it'll be fine IMO. :)

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Wondered how long until you'd get your handbag out Dave :p

I'll be honest, I'm just messing and I don't really mind, having it visible does at least make more sense. I'm trying to see how it works though, I've just liked some posts and it just says 'you like this'... I guess it's a good reminder for me, give it 10 minutes and I generally forget whether I like or disliked a thing. :)

Edit: I do like trophies though :) Saying, that I can't seem to find mine again, maybe I should just go to bed for the rest of the day...

Last edited: 1 Jul 2017
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think trophies and likes will soon be visible under your avatar on posts sort of like the old forums. It's on my list Monday.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Rep was an odd system, hilarious, but odd - Since people could give tens of thousands of rep points each time they gave any, as Rep was some weird magical combination of the User's own Rep, their post numbers and the phase of the moon.

Might have fudged the numbers on your end somewhere if you find someone with 100,000 "Likes" or similar - They probably only got hit about six times, but they'll have been from users with lots of posts.

7. MLyons

You can actually view the numbers here https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?members/&type=likes.

.//TuNdRa likes this.
  8. .//TuNdRa

Huh, It actually stored the base values, not the mental rep numbers that were shown to users, nice.

Well, that rules out that problem of figuring out how to make all of those numbers sane, if they're all already neat and tidy.

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

seeing kidmod on that list brings a tear to my eye,

i miss the Super Spamming Saiyan

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

+1 to that. Nearly 3 years gone now but never forgotten

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Teelz and Kidmod...

...right in the feels

12. MLyons

Believe me I'm as surprised as you that the old system has actually made something convenient for devs.

Any information on those users? I feel like I'm missing an important piece of history here.

EDIT: so to confirm you want likes/rep points shown under user avatars?

Last edited: 1 Jul 2017
  13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Teelzebub aka Tel was the most irreverent, call it as you see it, free spirited person as most people will ever have known - he was as kind as he was controversial, a legend would probably describe him best.

KidMod-Southpaw aka Alessandro was just starting out in life and liked by everyone - his passing came as a hammer blow to the skull (a true head f*cker to be fair which a great many felt).

RIP both.

Fingers66 likes this.
  14. MLyons

damm. :sad: . I had assumed they were just users that had left the community. I've just looked at their posts and they both seemed like great people. :(

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Makes me sad that Kidmod's profile shows his age as it would be now.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

It would be cool if the forum sections would change colour if there was a new post on a thread you posted on. Like on the old forums.

edit: also, the divisions between posts is to thin, it is difficult for me to distinguish between posts.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah they were both awesome in their own very different ways, shame you didn't get to meet them. They'll never leave the community though.

18. MLyons

working on it

Also working on it

DXR_13KE and Gunsmith like this.
  19. .//TuNdRa

Could we have the 100 posts per page back? I've had a fish and there doesn't appear to be any option to change the number of posts, it also generally didn't cause any issues, so long as I stayed out of the "What are you listening to" thread, otherwise the 100 odd Youtube embeds just sort of ground everything to a halt.

20. MLyons

This is something we can only set forum wide and it's something I'm asking the powers that be tomorrow.