1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forums too strict?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yakpimp, 21 Jun 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yakpimp

Yakpimp What's a Dremel?

Well, I have been boucing around this forum for a while, and I have to say, there is some good content here, but I also think that its a little too moderated.

I mean, part of the fun of a forum is flaming, and you can't say anything on this board without it getting removed within 2 minutes. If that were the case in real life, it would be like we were in that movie equalibrium, where humans were not aloud to have feelings.

Try having a conversation with a group of friends and not using a bit of sarcasm, or joking. It is impossible. It helps make the conversation interesting and makes it stick in your head.

For example.

Bit-tech example 1:
    Hey Yakpimp, that pc you have isn't that great.

Normal example 1:
    Man Yakpimp, that pc you got really sucks donkey dink. Your mom is a fat whore too.

I think the second one is far more interesting, it actually makes me smile. The first one is sometime I would say in church, or to an elderly person.

Bit-tech example 2:
    I wish this website had more intellegent girls that contribute to our pure forum.

Normal example 2:
    Damn, we need some sweet honeys to come here and shake their good to get all the guys sayin' Wooo wooo. Yea.... Awooooga..

Again, I think the second one is a bit juvenile, but still holds some very valid information.

Although this thread is only my opinion, I think it is important.
    ------------------

On another note, how about the lead fist approach to smashing any topic that asks a question that may have been asked 6 months ago, and is burried in the forum.

I can see that the search function can become quite helpful, but to me. I don't bother lookign back to the very beginning of bit-tech seeing if I can help someone who had a problem or a question in an ancient thread. So if someone were to not look, and just repost somethign that had been asked before, maybe some fresh replies would come, and more information than before would be found. What if an expert on the topic just joined the forum that day. It would be a perfect chance for him to help another member, and not have to revive an old, dead thread.
    -------------

It just seems like the mods want this forum so streamlined that it ruins the fun of having the ability to be an individual. Im sure in your lifetime two people have asked you the same question at different times, and I am pretty sure you didn't say to them. " umm.. I just answered that question 6 months ago, you should have been around then, if you wanted an answer to it."

So anyway. Because this thread is in a way a bit negative toward the forum and the mods in general, I figure most of you wont be able to read it, and it will be erased very soon, but at least I got to say it.

2. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

I have to agree with some of it, mainly the revival of old dead threads, but you still have to moderate to a degree.

The forum is for family viewing and the content should be at a level where everyone can enjoy. If people start provokinjg people, like example one, its going to start huge wars between people and its not needed.

Anyway im sure more people will explain ebtter than me. oh and also, should be in feedback ;)

3. calnen

calnen moo!!

If you want to talk about 'foxxy hoes' with your mates, go on msn.. this is a 'computer modding and review' site (see title page!) so it's hardly appropriate.

Also, I dont know if this has anything to do with it but the site's UK-based. I guess people here use different jargon/slang to what you're used to?

4. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Fine, I shall be more "fun"....

It's a free service, run by volunteers, If you don't like it **** off you stupid, ungrateful little ******. **** sake.

Now, the "Bit-Tech" aproach...

In my opinion, the way the forum is run and moderated is it's great strength amonst all the others. There's a real nice atmosphere most of the time, where people don't resort to personal insults ("flaming") as a form of amusement or entertainment. Frankly if I started reading things like this "Man Yakpimp, that pc you got really sucks donkey dink. Your mom is a fat whore too." all around the boards, i'd be horrified.

It's totally up-to you here how you express yourself, as long as you don't start being overly offensive to other people. For the most part any moderationary action is taken as a direct result of complains from the "Report to moderator" button, the community see's what's cool and what's clearly below the mark.

As for the "repost" issue, once you've been here long enough to see the thousands of "OMG, OMFG Laptopzzzz Scr3n 1d34" threads, you'll know why it happens. It's annoying when people don't take a few seconds to run a search, it wastes their time and the time of the people that will/would-have helped them. If they can't find it, then it's a honest mistake and I don't think anyone minds pointing someone in the right direction.

If you still don't believe me, which response did you prefer?

Oh, and PS: To be honest, criticising the years of hard work of all the staff at Bit-Tech, this will be the most polite response you're likely to see.

5. Yakpimp

Yakpimp What's a Dremel?

Im not saying, I want to talk about foxy hoes. If you take that literally then you need to lighten up a bit, this forum is a computer forum, but you still need to have the variety that makes our life more enjoyable then lets say a zebra's. Not necessarily talking of hoes and other things, but its all done in good fun.

6. Yakpimp

Yakpimp What's a Dremel?

Hearing that from you doesn't change my opinion at all. Yes I agree that sometimes seeing the same post about laptop screens can be annoying, but it is a growing topic and there is new stuff being found about it sometimes. If I were to find some new info and then revive the year old thread. I am sure you would be pissed about that too. Someone is bound to say why are you bringing up old thread? blah blah.

And in response to your PS: I am not criticising you as humans, and the work you do. I believe I said in my original post that this is a good website, and a nice forum, but things sometimes need to evolve with the times. Do you still see cars that way 4000 lbs. No, the demand has slowly changed to make lighter more efficient vehicles. with the small sacrefice of possible safty issues. Im not saying fire all the mods and start over with a uncontrolled forum where people can go swearing, and posting anything. Just lighten up a bit, and let the forum lead itself, with a little bit of guiding from the mods.

7. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Beware where you step. The ice may be thick now, but it won't be when I drop a TNT charge at your ankles.

Bit-tech runs fine, we have an extremly low ban2member ratio.

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

To be perfectly honest bit-tech is about the only forum I've found to strike the perfect balance between being fun and being serious. I've personally seen some great forums totally ruined by "flaming". This a computer forum where people come to learn and part of learning is reading this and trying to help yourself. Personally I think the mods do a great job and if you were to ever meet them you will find they can have fun with the best of them (looks towards BigZ & Phat's direction).

That's all I have to say. :D

9. calnen

calnen moo!!

The forum *is* leading itself, as he pointed out. If a post of yours has been deleted, it's because another member of the forum took offence to it and reported it. "The people have spoken", as it were. If you want a more slangy, insulting and abusive atmosphere, go somewhere else.

I use bit-tech more than any other forum on the net, almost entirely because of the community atmosphere. Go through the 'project logs' forum - people here say nice things! They're polite and supportive of each other's efforts and almost all the time, when they do criticise they do it in a constructive way. It should definately stay that way!

10. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

OMG people around here want to talk like they have a highschool education?!??! Those *******s....

If it comes down to the difference of having 100 members that can carry on an adult thread with worth while posts

or

having 100,000,000 members like yourself who feel the need to use words like "donkey dick"

I will gladly stick with the 100 member forum....

Eventually its time to grow up....

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

12. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

EXACTLY what I was about to say. Have fun yak. Do whatever you want. but don't expect to be welcome to do whatever you want wherever you want. There's a place for everything. This is not the place for that crap.

13. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Bit is REALLY well moderated IMO, its got a very good balance, and isnt too strict. As others have said, this is a modding/hardware site, not a pub.
    Every forum is modded differently to suit its style. I mod forums elsewhere, and they are different to bit, but thats the style of the forums. Both ways work well. If you dont like it, make your own or go elsewhere, as others have said.

14. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

There are two main reasons why we aren't all sarcastic in our posts (well, I am, but I'm a sarky bugger).

1) Sarcasm doesn't come off well in text form
    2) We have American readers, and Americans just don't get sarcasm. Full Stop. :D

Sam

15. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Part of the 'fun' of a forum is flaming is it? You know its funny, I figured that flaming was the thing about a forum which makes it unfriendly to newbies, and destroys any sense of community, which I assume to be bad things for a forum!

As for your second paragraph, sarcasm or joking is not forbidden :p I see plenty of it on the forums myself, I know all the moderators take this piss out of each other something rotten (as that fairy bigz well knows) so its not like we don't have a a sense of humour or don't like jokes, but generally we find we're able to joke around without going overboard with swearing or other insults.

As for the moderation preventing people from being an individual, I don't see it myself - there are some right characters on the forums (I won't single people out, especially not Penski :idea: ).

Anyway I'm off, gotta watch the football, we are 1 - 0 down already :wallbash: damn butterfingers goalkeeping...

16. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

my only rebuttal, penski is not only a long standing member here, but he's a moderator to boot. :D

17. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

:rock:

Honestly, when I first started surfing around the forums, I thought close to the same way as you. That was before I really started getting into some of the discussions. Wow. This place is so much fun! I think it is probably the best forum I have come across yet. But there's a place for everything. This isn't the place for the type of forum you're looking for. As previously stated, this is a family forum. You can still have fun (God knows I have) but it needs to be fun that EVERYONE can enjoy, and there are a lot of people who find "And your mom's a fat whore too" offensive. Don't get me wrong, I think it's funny, and this is the way me and my friends are when we're together, but still, not here. Remember, alot of the people at this forum are teens or younger. But the fun is still there to be had. No doubt.

18. westeee

westeee What's a Dremel?

ive done modding on other forums before, and i know how annoying it gets when people bring up old threads or dupe threads.

it dosen't take many mods to have the forums watched 24/7

but i think the moderation on the forums is very well balanced if not near perfect, you do get the odd person who will try and spoil something and make it look over-moderated, but you always get people like that in life.

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Yer people don't insult each other here, that's a good thing.

If you don't like the way the forums work there are plenty of other forums that you might like, if you however like a forum that you can ask a question and get a good knowledgeable answer your in the right place :D

20. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi

First of all: I only read the first post

My respond:
    The reason that this forum is such a good one, is for a large part thanks to the good moderators. and the more or less 'strick' rules.

But I don't think that its really 'strict'. I've been here for quite a while, and I have never (as long as I can remember) encountered any problems about posts being edited or removed.

And if I did, then I'm sure it was with good reason.

But I don't agree with your examples.
    You're right its a different environment then when ur 'hanging' with your friends and make a sharp joking comment. Sarcasm or whatever. but keep in mind that not everybody on this forum is your friend !!

And not everybody is pleasured with the language you use in your example as you are. Some peole will be more : :eyebrow: then :D

So since u don't have any control over who you are reaching with your post, you should adjust your language to just about everyboyd. That includes underaged people.

This is all-age forum, as long as its a bit mod-related. I'm pretty sure you aren't using any swear words around your 7-old cousin (just an example).

So do the same here...

You do have a point about the revival, but that is just to stop people from reviving their treats over and over, that have actually been answered douzens of times before.

I revived a few threads were I asked something. but that because I found new information about it, and it got answered ! Nobody closed it or anything...

I think the mods are doing a mighty good job! My respect to them!
    I think this thread is out of place and not justified.

Just my opinion
    L

PS: close the thread, LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.