1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Found a hint for a possible Vista SP2 on MS website

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoodBytes, 24 Aug 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello,

So I was about to download a fix for eSATA HDD's for Vista 64-bit SP1 (also available for 32-bit, if you ask). The Hot fix is in beta. But when I went to the website I see this on the update to request the beta version:
    [​IMG]

Does that mean that they plan it to be release on SP2 of Vista?
    Is Vista SP2 be out shortly after/before Windows 7?
    Is Windows 7 Vista SP2, as the Windows Server 2008 will just have an update and nothing more?

Linky: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950186/en-us (click on "View and request hotfix downloads") at the top left corner of the page)

What do you think?

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Typo?

Yeah, I'm a cynic I guess.
    But where you really expecting support to end with SP1?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fix for eSATA hard drives? What chipset does it use? I've had no end of trouble with JMicron ones on 32-bit and 64-bit Vista with and without SP1.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well I don't have an eSata HDD YET, I order one... so I'll see if it works. For a friend of mine he has issues. He did not come across testing this patch mentioned yet.

For my case, I don't know the chip my motherboard uses. (see signature for my compy specs)
    But when I tested with a normal SATA HDD, it fails to detect it when it's plug-in/out. I have to shut down the computer and perform the switch.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Silicon Image Sil3132 - is it set to ACHI in the BIOS (is there an option?)

6. quack

quack New Member

Nothing new. A lot of updates for XP were marked as SP3 over a year before the first beta even appeared. Basically anything that gets released after a service pack is automatically marked as being for the next one (even if one never appears).

7. seanblee

seanblee New Member

Quack's spot on - if you look closely, all current XP updates are labelled 'sp4', and it doesn't look like MS are even planning on releasing one of those.

8. Akava

Akava Lurking...

It probably just a way of easily keeping track of updates that would be stuck in the next service pack should it come to pass.

Tags: