1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Found a rather serious flaw with at least one companies product - what should I do?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lorquis, 25 Jul 2009.

1. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

Move to america, sue them for bringing you in this mortifying situation where you are doubting your morals. Win/Win if you ask me.

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

They do have a US presence I believe... more Europe and such tho

3. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I think the company's tech support may be the best bet, they may be 'trained' to understand such a problem. Another option is to contact all the depts. you can and see who gets back first i guess!

I'd tread carefully though, who's to say someone else hasn't found this problem and reported it already? They may be working on a fix as we speak. If the problem is as widespread as you say it is, there may be people reporting / reported already.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Sorry if my post wasn't clear; it was not my intent to accuse you of being a money grubbing git. The difference between consultancy and what you've done is the fact that they never hired you to QA their software to begin with. In their eyes, you're just another user who happened to stumble on a previously overlooked flaw - and an apparent serious flaw at that. I will point out that just about every one of your posts so far has involved some estimation of how much money the company is losing, and how much you feel you should expect to receive in compensation.

Now, you're perfectly within your rights to ask for compensation; however, since the company never hired you to begin with, they are under no obligation to provide compensation. You hinted that this is a major, multinational corporation, a Fortune 100 company. Companies like that tend to have very deep pockets, and very skilled legal teams. I would guess that they'll thank you for the information, and offer a free copy of the product in return.

A couple years ago, my wife bought a copy of Photoshop CS2 from the Amazon.com marketplace (a Christmas gift for me). It turned out to be a pirated copy. I called Adobe to inform them, and all they did was enter the serial number in their known pirated copy database. They had no interest in the seller's name, and they never asked for any other information. Although your case sounds different, I suspect the results may end up being very similar.

My point? Feel free to ask for as much money as you want. Just don't get too excited about some grand financial windfall, and don't start looking through the car ads just yet.

-monkey

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

@ALL

I have been doing software QA in one form or another since 1981. It is very hard for me to NOT look at site problems. Bit-Tech ahs many bugs but they are from the underlying software and NOT Jamie and the staff.I have made a considerable income as an employee and an independent contractor for Govt. and Civilian top 5 through top 100 companies. I have found Very few websites that do not have less than complete interfaces. I have found bugs in US Govt. websites and companies like Apple and Microsoft. I just let them go and they appear to be 'self healing'. Without a history and documented involvement in finding and fixing software problems, it is hard to get serious exposure.

Not meant as a demote, just my ancient arse telling it like it is.

Too much info and they can fix it themselves. Too little and you won't be taken serious.

Fees? I won't go there.

john

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Send a long, well-written email to someone important sounding from the company, explain everything, tell them the problem, and mention a possible reward toward the end?

It might not work, but them's the breaks.