1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro FPS map design

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SimonStern, 8 Jun 2011.

1. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

[​IMG]

Sad but true it seems these days :wallbash:;)

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Just from my own library, here are a few FPS games that would like to respectfully disagree:

Arma II
    CS:S (joke, I know you mean singleplayer :p)
    Crysis 2 - yes it is essentially linear, but the level layout does allow for a multitude of approaches.
    Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
    STALKER: ShoC
    STALKER: Clear Sky
    STALKER: CoP

Also 1998 HalfLife would like to be included in the list of linear 2010 FPS games please.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

To be fair; Half-Life was awesome at the time, if only because it never actually used Cutscenes (Woot for rendering everything in-engine), but I sadly agree; Call Of Duty: Linear Shooter 3 isn't going to improve, and it seems most other games are starting to go the same way too.

I miss the original Call of Duty. (Even then, it wasn't perfect)

Also; Half-Life 2. I dare say it's not exactly vibrant in the number of ways you can complete it.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Why should linear automatically mean bad? Many of the best games i've played are linear. But cutscenes are the devils work and must never be used again.

5. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

To be fair though if we do that with storyline the inverse is probably true.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Story line of a FPS
    1. Kill bad guys/kill good guys
    2. Shoot down heli
    2 1/2. Complete a snow map
    3. Kill really bad guy/kill really good guy
    4. ????
    5. Profit!!!!!!

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Do fallout 3 and Bioshock count as FPS?

But yeah I do miss the exploration and sense of wonder from being able to explore worlds, Have fond memories of the original Unreal.

8. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

That's Doom on the left isn't it?

It's a shame that modern FPS has lost the puzzle/secrets element that Doom had -- where you would catch a glimpse of an area and then spend ages trying to work out how to get there. It was a good way of breaking up the rhythm of the game.

Tangentially, I have recently started on Crysis 2 and, bizarrely, it seems to have flags all over the screen telling me where all of the cover is, where the observation points are, where the flanking opportunities are etc etc. Is it just me or does this slightly defeat the point of playing an FPS and learning to read the maps? Hopefully, it will ease off as the game progresses otherwise I may have to put it down.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

They are probably afraid that people who are too used to corridor style play will miss the 'freedom' they are being given. It's worth playing through at least once, and possibly again with DX11. I still miss the freedom of Crysis and Far cry.

10. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

After lookin' at the picture I thought we where talking about Bulletstorm ^_^

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Linear isn't always bad, look at Metal Gear Solid... Linear as they come but fantastic games none the less. However they often mean developers can just get away with piss-poor storylines and/or slack work.

I.e. all of our favorite game, Modern Warfail 3 that'll be tragically released soon.

12. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

True it's not a given. HL2/Ep.1/Ep.2, BioShock 1-2, Singularity & Metro 2033 were some of the most linear games I've played in the last few years but in my opinion spectacular nonetheless. Linear is ok with me IF its to convey ALOT of storyline, but generally speaking I go into a game assuming linear = bad until proven otherwise.

I still much prefer open gameplay though, notably the likes of Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, STALKER CoP/SoC, etc all of which still manage a ton of storytelling but leave the order up to the player.

And lmao @ "Modern Warfail". Genius.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I quite honestly enjoy the second one more as a singleplayer experience.

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

convulated and complex levels without a map for you to use as a form of navigation just makes things tedious. However, i do like it when games include secret areas and the like. It's a shame that it's a dying trend.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Anyone here ever played TimeSplitters?

Now those were the days when maps were maps, hell creating your own maps was amazing fun in itself.

Sketchee likes this.
  16. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Hell yea Timesplitters 1 + 2 were both awesome! To this day still the most fun i've had with a local multiplayer game :rock:

Elton likes this.
  17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Soooooo good! Just loved playing Local Co - Op on this. Aren't the team working on something at the moment (Free Radical?)

18. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

Timesplitters - First and only console FPS I have been able to enjoy!

I don't think its fair to say that all FPS games are now linear, or that linear in itself is a bad thing. I think the OP is looking at a symptom of the big malaise in gaming at the moment:

The biggest selling games are not that good.

It may be rose tinted glasses, but in years gone by, to get big sales you had to come up with something GOOD. These days its a case of Moar Explosions and a big marketing budget.

19. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Timesplitters 2. Multiplayer. Crossbow and Fire. Done.

20. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

That's the real problem right now. And sadly, it's our own fault, because as long as they keep making BIG profit there's no real incentive for things to change.

If the games with huge marketing budgets did poorly and the real gems actually sold millions instead, devs and publishers would generally be more motivated to polish their product.