1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows FPS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by crazydeep74, 29 May 2006.

1. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

I think it breaks down into two styles:

In single player FPS:
    I think they should keep trying to push the boundaries and start coming up with new ideas. I mean how many FPS games do you smash crates to get supplies or jump from box to box to avoid something.
    AI can always be improved, maybe not just enemy but squad AI so that you can fight with a computer team against people.
    More and more engrossing story lines, with puzzles like in HL2 that you can have a break from the constant battling.

In multiplayer FPS:
    I want better hitboxes. When you aim and a bullet goes in the head i want to see them die, not some miraculous deflection off there helmet. The maintain the fact that CS1.6 was so good in earlier stages as the hitboxes where so accurate and it took the game away from spraying and praying.
    I want better recognition of where the bullets go, i dont care if it looks stupid of abnormal with large bullet holes that you can from miles off, seeing where your bullets go helps recoil control.
    More cheaters/hackers getting banned :D

2. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

I want no idiots on multiplayer servers, no bugs and no more crashes.

That's just to start with for BF2 bearing in mind it is nearly a year old, it is amazing it isn't fixed. Yet I still play it.

But for CounterStrike I would really like to see some better implement VOIP and more modes of play.

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Agreed with on the idiodt in MP. I think CS's VOIP is decent (at least in Source, dunno about 1.6)

I'd like to see BF2 fixed of all bugs, but that's like asking for a miracle or Duke Nukem Forever to come out.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I would like to see the inclusion of feet as standard:
    Like fear did but better. If I turn i want to see my feet shuffling not just spinning on the spot.

I'd like to see more dynamic ragdoll effects in the player:
    Basically, i think that the ability to just keep running even when your face against a wall is just plain silly. I'd prefer to be taught a lesson! If i sprint full whack into a wall, i think I should bounce of said wall and land flat on my back. Another situation would be large obsticals like logs and the like. If I don't jump over that log, i would like to land flat on my face.

I'd like to see games being a more fluid dificulty.
    In real life, we do have a training level before going to battle, but more often than not, your straight into the thick of it. I agree that over time, you may become hardened and more technically honed, so increacing overall health is not such a bad thing, and making your reactions quicker is fine. BUT i don't want to see any more games that get gradually harder as you go through. I want constant difficulty with extra hard bits along the way. (yes i know, todays kid gamer like to just be able to tootle through a whole game just shooting his gun, using nil brain power, but lets leave them to play with there ps3's and xbox 360)

Like mentioned before, I'd like to see more dynamic dammage. Not just to people but terrain as well. I know far cry had grenade pits if on blew up on a soft surface, but it was very basic, and only worked occasionally. I want to see completely destructable terrain!

I would like all fire in every game to look like the fire in max payne 2 and fear mixed together.

I want to see the AI in games be like fear and far cry combined.

And this is probally the biggest one:
    Sound/Voice actors... Half life was excelent, the voice acting was spot on. But there are so many games that - i'm sure - just hire the same guy for all the generic goons! Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory (WHOS THAT? GET HIM!), Far Cry (ITS YOU! KILL HIM), Max Payne 2 (ITS PAYNE, GET HIM)

oh and no more shiny faces please human skin is does not reflect.

5. SeBbY_007

The VOIP in CS:S is good, but it is terrible when the whole of the 20 man team tries to go on the VOIP at once. Compared to the squads in BF2, CS:S is lacking in this department.

As for a response to Will, I think most of us would like to see these features implement in FPS but at the moment I just cannot see it happening. Maybe in the future they will do it but at the moment the things you have listed will either take too much time programming or use up too much CPU power. Maybe when the Physics Systems do take off we will see destructible terrains, but until then I just want to see the bug fixes in BF2 and less idiots (but I suppose both of them are impossible for an EA game).

:rolleyes:

6. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

insane weapons
    ungodly amounts of enemies
    corny catch phrases.

oh wait they already made that one...Serious Sam Series :D

BUt seriously

A GOOD story line, Lots of character development, and Baddies smarter than the wood door. Oh and LONG, i find a lot of games these days are far to short. Where is the games like the original Deus Ex with like 30+ levels :D

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

More challenge, but in a skill based way. Far Cry nailed this dead on. The difficulty was not superficial. They didn't just give all the enemies crazy accuracy, god-like body armor, and super powerful guns. They created challenges with the environment, the enemy placement, the AI, etc... Look at the Trigens. Yes they could kill you with 2 hits, but if you used your environment and strategy against them, they could be quite easy.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm not amazed at all. It's freaking EA. Look what they did to CnC :duh:

I play BF2 a lot also, but the glaring bugs and balance issues can really piss me off sometimes.

Yeah, they can make good games, but that's about all they care about. Selling the game. Get it out the door. Once they buy it the money is made. Why spend money fixing a game when everyone who's gonna buy it already has it. Whether they play it or not EA already got their payday off it. (Their opinion, not mine.)

9. SeBbY_007

I totally agree with you, but you have to admit even with the bugs it is an awesome game, annoying at times but awesome.

In protest at clearly not attempting to fix the bugs before launching a 'rip-off' pack, I haven't bought these booster packs. Maybe if we all did that they would stop programming the next game (which uses the same engine by the way - so we can expect bugs in that) and actually fix the game they promsed to.

So what do I want from EA? Bug free games and extra content that is actually worth paying for.

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

EA have a completely "big evil corpiration" attitude towards games. They are ill suited to the PC game market. Computers require far more accurate and expansive testing than consoles. Even that said. They do spawn out a lot of utter trash on consoles as well. Unfortunately they have marketing and the "average kid gamer" on their side. Look at the games they make most money on... sports and film based games. They have the right attitude to make money, and have lost the quality because of it.

Tags: