1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Fr4nk's X1800/X1900 Overclocking guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fr4nk, 21 May 2006.

1. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Since there’s quite a few people on here who have X1800/1900's I think it's about someone wrote a guide on Overclocking these cards, since they are quite picky.

So lets get started.

What you'll need:
    • An ATi X1800/X1900 card (duh)
    • Tech power up's ATitool (beta 0.25)
    • Rivatuner (for monitoring clocks) (optional)
    • 3D mark 05/06 (for testing)
    • Graphical games (Fear, Oblivion .etc)

Step 1 Finding your max core clock

Firstly we are going to find the max core clock. Open up ATi tool, now with stock volts. (note: you can set the slider to the rated 3d clocks to save time(eg, I would set my Xt to 625/ 750(1500)

Then click the "find max core" button, this will slowly increase your core clock, while scanning for artifacts and using heat up phases.
    [​IMG]

At some point while using the find max core you will encounter artifacts and probably a VPU recover message, this shows tat your core clock is unstable (on my XT the highest I could get the core with stock volts was 650Mhz), so with ATi tool, go to the settings button > choose “voltage control” from the drop box
    [​IMG]

Now with the voltage box open increase the VGPU a few notches up (easier to use the arrow keys). Now return back to the main box in ATi tool and increase your core clock by 5mhz, then test for artifacts, if no artifact are detected, increase the core clock by another 5mhz, then test for artifacts again. Continue this process until you find the absolute max stable core clock.

If you are using an X1800 XT / X1900 XT/ XTX then you should have the dual slot cooler then you shouldn’t have a problem increasing the VGPU to the max (1.575v) but if your on a single slot cooler I would recommend you keep the VGPU under 1.4v as temps can really build up.

Finally create a new profile calling it “max overclock” and save it

Step 2 Finding your max memory clock

Finding the max memory clock is a completely game, obviously your going to use the same method for finding the max core clock but instead of increasing the memory voltage, try slightly undervolting it, my xt can do 900mhz (1800mhz DDR) with the memory undervolted but if its overvolted it is extremely unstable. Also if your card likes higher memory voltage (I doubt it) the max voltages you should be looking at are:

• MVDDC: 2.3v
    • MVDDQ: 2.2v

Once again after you find your max memory clock, save it to the profile you made earlier.

Step 3 implementing your overclock into 3D modes

There are many ways of enabling your overclock into games, since ATi uses a 2D/3D clock switch well have to disable it, to do this you need to run “services.msc” then find “ATi hotkey poller” and disable it by going into its properties.
    [​IMG]

This will leave your card in 2d clocks mode all the time (600/1400 for my XT). Now we want to override the 3D detection switch with ATi tool goto the “settings” button and select “3D-Detection”, tick the “3D-Detection enabled” box. Then add your profile to the “load profile” drop down box. This will now make your card switch to the max overclock profile when entering a game or 3D application. You can also choose to let ATitool switch back to a lower clocks when exiting a 3D profile by choosing a profile in the “When 3D application is closed” box.
    [​IMG]

Alternatively you can set ATi tool to run your max Overclock profile from start up, to do this choose “startup” from the settings drop down box and then add your profile.
    [​IMG]

Step 4 Testing your Overclock

What’s a max overclock if it’s not stable? Run 3D Mark and some high powered games to give your card a good test, if it fails, artifacts or VPU errors then I would recommend you come back a bit on your overclock. Then test again.

Results

With 700/1800 on a X1800 XT and my X2 @ 2.4ghz I managed:
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps ;)

-Fr4nk

Last edited by a moderator: 23 May 2006
  2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

This should be sticky'd, good work Frank!

3. Fr4nk

Hehe, thanks, working on the sticking.

Done.
    -hitman012

Ty ^^

Last edited: 21 May 2006
  4. warup89

warup89 New Member

i love this guide , helped a lot THX fr4nk, anyways im strugling with mem, my current MEM voltages at like this:

MVDDC: 2.302V
    MVDDQ: 2.228V

and the max mem OC i could get is 680mzh, and you say that undervolatging the card is better, but do you mean undervolatging from stcoks speeds?

5. Fr4nk

Well when I was trying to overclcok my card I noticed that using a higher voltage on memory doesn't seem to stabilise the clocks, so I tried running stock volts (2.095/2.095) and using the find max/ testing with 3D Mark. with stock clocks I managed around 800(1600)mhz. Then I decided to try using lower voltages (2.075/2.075), by using the lower voltage I think it allows a higher clock because not as much heat is generated, thus less heat = high clocks, by doing this I was able to hit 920(1840) mhz which is massize memory overclock :thumb:

Hope this helps Warup89,

-Fr4nk

6. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

You didn't mention anything about disabling the ATi CCC SMARTGART before overclocking. Do you not disable ATi Smart in the services window?

7. Fr4nk

I don't know what it is about ATi smart but it comes and goes in my services.msc, in the screensot above its there but it isn't currently there atm, unless aTi got rid of it in 6.5 (the oc guide was done on 6.4), i'll have to look into it.

-Fr4nk

8. mbm

mbm New Member

What voltage are you using yourself?

I doubt 1,575v is safe? Where did you get that imformation?

9. Fr4nk

Well assuming you have good airflow or abit of Ghetto cooling the temps using the dual slot XT cooler with 1.575v Doesn't seem to be a problem, of course it will shorten the life of your video card like if you increase the voltage on a cpu but thats the risk you have to take when overclocking.

10. ahmad

ahmad New Member

11. Fr4nk

Wow, thats very nice ahmad, some very usefull info :)

-Fr4nk

12. warup89

warup89 New Member

i dont know if this is normal but i started to noticed flashing of little white pixels around every object in my desktop, they are really hard to notice at naked eye but when i look really close i noticed them.

is my video card dying :sigh:

13. Hamish

Hamish New Member

im having trouble getting increased clocks to stick :\
    ati tool, i increase the clocks, hit apply = blank screens
    monitors go into standby, have to reboot

ati tray tools, increase clocks, hit apply = reset to default

ati official overclocker thingy, increase clocks, hit apply, they change in the app but dont actually change

i've disabled the hotkey poller thingy :\

edit: nevermind, im an idiot
    was trying to set stock 3d clocks without increasing the voltage from 2d levels :D
    graphics overclocking just got a whole lot more complicated, it used to be so easy :p
    drag sliders til everything goes tits up, drag down a bit, save \o/

edit2: someone should tell ati tool to reduce the minimum value on the temperature graph, mine idles at 30 on 3d clocks :p

Last edited: 3 Jun 2006
  14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

top guide fr4nk..... mabey a stickey?...

I will need this now is my X1800XT should be here on Monday..

15. Fr4nk

Ushually when you see dot artifacts it means your core is too overclocked, decreasing clock by ~5-10mhz

You can say that again but it's for the better, witht he software voltage controls you have much more accurate volts and loads of room to tweak.
    And without ghetto cooling mine goes over 90C (on artifact scanning only:p)

It's in the "Video how-to thread" :)

-Fr4nk

16. Hamish

Hamish New Member

does anyone know what temps the voltage regulator is rated too?
    mine just hit 100C after 2mins of artifact scanning
    725 @ 1.475v

gonna go work on the memory now :p

17. Hamish

Hamish New Member

ok wtf. i can get my memory clocks over 630
    i tried it on default voltages and just got a hard crash, had to reset
    reduced the voltages to 2.075 and set mem to 630, got crazy artifacting and then hard crash
    the ramchips are pretty warm but not roasting hot :\

18. Fr4nk

Jion the club, the hottest mine have been is 117C, you should really get a fan over them like this , it really helps, knocked my temps down by a good 40c. also I think they're rated to liek 150c (not sure but its over 100c)

Thats very strange indeed, your memory should run 747 (stock), try setting the core on 625 or 600 then try overclocking the memory (or on 747).

-Fr4nk

19. Hamish

Hamish New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    please tell me i've just missed something obvious :p

ill try clocking down the core and upping the memory :\
    the ram isnt really cooled in anyway though, im using a maze4 on the core and nothing on the ram
    worth getting some ramsinks? i never bothered before, just put up with lower memory overclocks :p

edit: i get the feeling it might just be ati tool being a pile of **** cos i was happily playing hl2 ep1 yesterday after installing the card but before i had tried clocking it at all :\

20. Fr4nk

Ram sinks are deffinantly needed, do a arti scan or 10mins then feel the bottom the chips oppisite side of board (try not to touch the chips for obivous reasons), It gets very toasty. Also I forgot to mention in the guide, apparantly the the VDDCI is some kind of "gatekeeper" to the memory, try running it of max (1.5 something IIRC). Though I can't really comment of the effect of VDDCI as I don't have a X1900... Yet :p

Edit: typos
    -Fr4nk

Tags: