1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design Array R2 mini-ITX case review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 14 Jul 2010.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

The biggest mistake in the design-process is maybe, that there's no mini-ITX-boards with more then 4 SATA-ports, so two of the HDD-mountings will never be used.

They should've made only 4 HDD-mountings and then there would've been enough room for a fully fledged PCIe GFX-card.

However, even then, the PSU wouldn't be powerful enough to run a gaming-rig with a beefy GFX-card.

Back to the drawing-bioard I'd say.

2. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Not true, the Zotac H55 WIFI has 6 Sata ports, also, someone might use a expansion card for more SATA's.
    I would NOT recommend the Zotach H55, its flawed with problems left and right.

And here I thought this case seemed too good to be true.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tell me what way the Zotac board is flawed? The BIOS isn't great but it works. :confused:

jrs77 - it's not a case for a graphics card: it never was designed that way. It would have to compromise on the aesthetics and noise greatly to get the airflow to stop it getting too hot. It's only a NAS/HTPC box - of which onboard graphics suffices.

If you wanted to use an extra card though - say HD 5450 or GTS 240 for the HTPC spec or PCI-E RAID card, it would have to be half height, which, given the size of the case is silly.

robothunter - It's already been reviewed by Mr. Harry and is coming to the site in the next week :thumb:

Honestly, it'll be the easiest case you've ever worked on. It takes drilling just 8 pop rivets and unscrewing 12 screws to get it all apart. There's tons of space inside.

4. Pete1989

Pete1989 New Member

5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I opened my sample this morning and the construction reminded me of XBOX-01

As Richard stated, it's a great canvas for mods.

My Review of the Array R2 Mini ITX Case ...aka "The Fractal Design Project Box" by Lian Li.

[​IMG]

edited 9/21/10

Last edited: 21 Sep 2010
  6. Cadair

Cadair New Member

Where art thou case...

This is a shame, I am still looking for a decent case for a NAS server bulid, something ION based would be ok so cooling isn't an issue, however the 6 drive bays would be nice!

One day I shall find the perfect case!

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, it does, because the Gigabyte board (and other like it) put the CPU socket right next to the PCI-E slot - this way is easier to design because PCI-E and memory are closest to the CPU and SATA at the other side of the board comes from the H55 chipset right next to it. If you look at the DFI P55 board it puts the chipset in the middle instead, which puts the heatsink further away from the socket. Unfortunately for people like Silverstone who make the heatsink we tested and showed in the pics, most companies are making mini-ITX boards with the socket in the middle.

@Bill - INCHES! I'm pretty sure we stopped using that when we left America ~300 years ago :p;)

8. Pete1989

Pete1989 New Member

Damn, I was hoping to use this board and case for a little HTPC/Gaming rig. Mod the hdd bay so it accepts full length/height cards, put a Silverstone 450W PSU in along with a 5770 Hawk.

Shall have to get the DFI P55 then.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pete, it WILL overheat if you put a graphics card in - I guarantee it. You'll have to cut another hole for an additional fan and buy another 14cm to replace the fractal one.

If that Silverstone PSU is any longer than the Fractal then it won't fit with the cage either - length wise it's tightly packed so you'll need to drop the cage entirely :thumb:

10. Ck2000r

Ck2000r New Member

With the 2 expansion slots would this case work as a Mini ITX / Mini DTX case like the Lian Li PC-Q08? Its a shame they made such a mistake with the hard drive cage and fan on this would I was about to buy one for a low energy windows home server but overheating hard drives would be a big worry. I guess if you could find a simple mod to replace the drive cage or replace the fan with somthing better (maybe 2 80mm ones not better for noise I know but may improve the cooling)

Also there are several Mini itx motherboards with 6 SATA port Supermico has a server Mini itx board that has 6 SATA and dual gigabit LAN also Zotc has a Mini DTX board with 6 SATA but bith have an ATOM D510 processor

11. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

1. 16X PCI-E flexi riser cable.
    2. Trim 1 drive bay off HD rack.
    3. Re-position PSU under the HD rack.
    4. Modify rear panel to take GTX 460.
    5. Use empty rear panel to add an additional extract fan... Looking at a H70 now !

dunx

P.S. Zotac H55 + i5-655K + OCZ + WD caviar black 1 TB + 80 GB Intel SSD + Zalman CNPS-10X cooler

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Damn it, when I first saw this I thought it was exactly what I need to put my NAS box in (aside from the price)

Oh well, I guess I'll have to stick with the Shuttle case I got for free and a little modding :D

13. whitehart

whitehart New Member

This case is perfect for a NAS case, if you get 6X ECO or Green drives and a lower power Atom motherboard, it'll be fine, the overheating will happen if you add a Graphics card into the case.
    I'm not convinced on this review sorry. its reviewing it as a HTPC case and NOT as a NAS only, the way I see it, its a NAS only case thats why it has the option to go up to 6 drives.

14. mnpctech

Here is what happened to my review sample. Colbalt Blue Metal Flake paint and Von Dutch pinstriping... which is from diy tutorial guide from the Mod Men webisode series coming this spring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Have the Corsair H70 and a GTX 460 in mine now, and with a 120mm fan aimed at the rear of the card I have it running Einstein@Home ( BOINC) OC'd at 800 MHz without any thermal issues.
    Also added two more WD 1 Tb drives, the i5-665K is running at 3.6 GHz too ! But gets too warm with HT enabled.

The 2nd Fractal supplied PSU is dying though...

dunx

P.S. It's too tall for a HTPC, it won't fit my TV rack :-(

16. mnpctech

depending upon height of H70, you may have space for ATX PSU

It's pretty straight forward.. I used Mounting plate from another case...and I did re-paint the exposed cuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My TEST PSU ....Use of a DEAD PSU works great for referencing PSU width dimensions in customized applications w/o cables getting in my way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags