1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design Core 2300 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 20 Jan 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Another generico black computer case. We just don't have enough of these.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Fractal Design's specialty it seems. Still, they sell so you can't blame them. Not mention black box appears to be synonymous with "classy" and "minimalist chic" nowadays.

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Minimalist, yes. Minimalist chic, not so sure :p

Tbh though, these designs may not be that exciting, but if I was designing a case to retail for this little, that wouldn't be my priority. It's just more effiicient this way - less materials, less tooling. And as you said, they do indeed sell.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

You'd be surprised. Hang around /r/buildapc for a while and you hear people praising the ol' black box as the latest and greatest fashion piece.

For this budget range I agree it makes sense, but that's the thing, it doesn't just stop at this budget does it? In fact, the black box goes all the way to the stratosphere, culminating in what I like to call "wardobe cases" like the Caselabs TX10. Now at that point you could argue we're talking server type uses, which goes back to the same principles as at the low budget, pure utility.

But there's a whole spectrum in the middle where the focus is normal consumers or enthusiasts. It's not bad, per se, it's certainly better than the beige boxes of old that's for sure. But I would say it's a big boring. I mean there are loads of ways of making a case attractive, and frankly most people seem to like the ones that do when they see them. Apple has done this remarkably well, just look at how popular G5 mods are. People love that case, and it would fit perfectly in a sophisticated environment, probably more so than a black box actually. Other ones like the Jonsbo MX2, the InWin 904, the Silverstone FT03 etc. they're all popular and look understated and sophisticated, but aren't black boxes (aluminium box anybody?).

I like how more companies are pushing different, but sympathetic designs now though. Corsair's 760T springs to mind, as does the Bitfenix Prodigy. Heck, even the black box is evolved thanks to people like NZXT and Phanteks changing things up a little. Fractal, on the other hand, just feels soooooo boring to me.

6. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Having my desktop sat in my living room, the simplicity of my Fractal R4 is exactly what i was after. I can certainly see the appeal of plain looking cases.

7. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

Fractal R4 is a classic

8. Fugit

Fugit What's a Dremel?

Things are about to get much tougher all round, economically speaking. I worry for Fractal - not sure they will survive.

Tags: Add Tags