1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress FRAMED by timpelay

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by timpelay, 10 Sep 2015.

1. timpelay

timpelay What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

With a couple of scratch builds in my portfolio: Gallery at Sweclockers.com I would now like to present my new project at this forum.

Previously, my intention has been to stylish enclose all hardware. Now I'm about to do a U-turn and build a showcase in which hardware and chassis are more like a single unit. I will also for the first time start of from a computer case, this is new ground.

The project begins with an In Win D-frame mini that will get a make-over.
    In terms of modifications and themes, this will become apparent as the project continues.
    The idea is to keep it clean but also do something unique.

_________________________________________​

Hardware

MB: Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5
    CPU: Intel i7 4790K
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980Ti 6GB Xtreme Gaming
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1600MHz
    SSD: 2x Corsair Force LX 256GB
    CPU-cooling: Corsair H100i GTX
    PSU: Corsair RM750i

[​IMG]

This project is made possible by Johan and Corsair. Great thanks to you, main sponsor!

[​IMG]

I am also privileged to work with Gigabyte thanks to Josefin. An honor.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2016
  2. timpelay

[​IMG]

I bought the case in January and since then it has been stuffed away. This spring I devoted to complete IP66-M and building an American Muscle car. But in the meantime I could come up with an idea for this one. My previous projects has got a genuine overall touch including stainless steel and aluminum. So I've been thinking about how I want this project to be perceived.

The idea is to try not to imitate someone else's project based on this chassis. This issue is a bit new for me because I have only done scratch builds before. But it will be fun and challenging to try something unique.

Lets unbox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was easy to disassemble case because nothing was attached with rivets. Just easily accessible screws.

[​IMG]

For this project, a 3D model is not as important as in my previous projects. Now, I will follow my original plan but also let me be influenced by the time. Yet still I've put together a rough model to show a bit of my thoughts.

[​IMG]

It's not that hard to understand that the case won't be black, neither painted at all.

I'll high gloss polish it!

What have I got my self in to :eyebrow:

3. timpelay

[​IMG]

Step one is to remove the usually fine powder coating. Blasting would be the quickest way to get rid of it if I understand it correct. But powder coating may require good quality blast and coarse sand. This would result in a rough surface which demands plenty of grinding. So, if I'll need to grind then I can just as easily grind right from the start. I'll try without blasting and see what happens.

Just load up with materials and tools for metal and finish.

I bought a couple of different grinding discs, papers and polishing equipment. It required a lot of testing to confirm what method that worked best. Clearly, you need a coarse grain size to get any resault at all. The powder coating is cruel!

After som more experimenting I came to realize that a nylon wheel may be the way to go. The surface will get a uneven and rough finish but without the deep scratches that comes with the abrasive wheels. With the nylon wheel, I can also reach in to tight welded corners. At least halft of them..

I found out pretty quickly that ear and eye protection is not enough. I supplemented immediately with a beathing mask to avoid filling my nose and lungs with grinding dust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some progress! :clap:

Two hours later, I had come nowhere at all. This will take a looong time. A quick estimation is that it will require about 20 hours to remove the powder coating and get a nice clean surface. After that it's time for fine grinding and polishing. I've got some work in front of me. :rolleyes:

4. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

Just keep polishing, just keep polishing !

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Would aircraft remover work?

6. timpelay

I'll do that!

Maybe, but it's not possible to buy here in Sweden. I've tried other paint removers but without any success.

7. timpelay

[​IMG]

It's time to show some hardware!

Corsair and Gigabyte are the reason why I will be able to pull this one off. Without them I would be grinding all alone!

Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5

It's my first time with a Gigabyte mobo since LGA775 so it will be really interesting. I like the design, it's clean and will be able to receive some modding to fit this project. I don't know what's happened with Z170 but most motherboard manufacturers seem to have gotten a bug for plastic covers and spacecraft design. That's not what I want here and now. I will return to the mobo once it's time for some modding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz + Corsair Light Bar kit

It's given that I use Dominator Platinums for this one. I'll try the light bar kit and maybe with a minor modification.

[​IMG]

2st Corsair Force LX 256GB

In previous projects I have used Corsair Force GT and Neutron GTX and been just as happy with both of them. Therefore I've got high expectations for Force LX too. Like all Corsair SSDs these also use MLC NAND. It's a small difference in sequential write speed between 256GB and 512GB version. (300MB/s > 450MB/s). Doubtful whether this has any significance in practice. But we'll see, perhaps I'll supplemented with one or two 512GB.. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Corsair RM750i

My friend and supplier Johan recommended a RMi series power supply and I definitely want to try one. With a proper update on RMs weaker points, this PSU will represent the premium within 80 Plus Gold certification. 7-year warranty, only Japanese capacitors, high-quality fan and Corsair Link. Bring it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corsair H100i GTX

Many of you would not even think about using a closed water cooling system, but I have only got positive experiences. But it's the first time for me with corsair and 240 mm. Should one interpret tests, this is probably one of the best CPU-coolers the market has to offer at the moment.

[​IMG]

As you can see it's consistent black parts with a splash of green. Just like I want it. (Exceptions red on the mobo, but I'll take care of that)

Now I have other things to do, like a lot of grinding! :clap:

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Oh man that's going to be a lot of work, best of luck!

Edit: WoO0o0o0O 1000th post :rock:

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The best case require 10 parts crazy... good luck with striping the rest of the powder coat paint.

10. timpelay

You can say that again! Thank you, gonna need it!

Thanks! It's not an easy job done in a minute..

11. timpelay

[​IMG]

Now I'm finally getting somewhere! A bit late update since I did this grinding session some week ago.
    But well, 6 hours of grinding on the counter and a few more to go before I can move on to the next step.

Damn you get dirty doing this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. timpelay

[​IMG]

I'm a bit behind with updates here and I apologize for that..

At last done with the first step of grinding, using the red nylon brush to remove all paint. I've moved on to hand grinding and spent a few hours with grit 180 to remove all scratches left by the brush. This is a real pain and I have to go through the entire chassis. I also need to be more and more carful when continuing with smaller grain-size. Every possible large scratch will be clearly visable.

With a proper audio book and the right fighting spirit this may be possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. timpelay

[​IMG]

After I've been grinding entirely by hand non-stop for two hours, I got sooooo bored. There must be a way to grind pipes with a machine without having to buy an expensive pipe sander. Time for ingenuity!

I first bought sanding belts for machine and turned them "outside-in" using tape to put them back together around one of the tubes in the chassis. My plan was then to use a drilling machine and an appropriate pulley to create my own small reversed belt sander. However the belt was to stiff in relation to the pipe's diameter, no success.

That stuff went down the trash.

I kept looking for a more suitable product and found Mirka Abranet sanding "nets". They are very easy to bend and got Velcro on the back, excellent! I used Velcro straps as tape and a rough old polishing disc as pulley. Nailed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Congratulations, you are about to complete step 1 of your project.
    Looking good.

15. niklot1981

niklot1981 What's a Dremel?

SuperB raving about photos, great eye ! Saw your projects in SC before - amazing creativity !

[​IMG]

16. timpelay

[​IMG]

I apologize again for late updates.. The race to finish before Dreamhack Casemod Championship at the end of November made me to prioritize late nights in the workshop other than doing project log updates. The project is almost finished and I will now play catch up with updates!

I've focused on getting the motherboard to look the way I want it. Removed stickers and labels, painting capacitors and connectors, removed the red anodised color on the heatsink. It now looks perfekt and clean, ready for this project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also tried something new. High gloss polishing the top frame of my Dominators light bar kit will definitely add that perfect touch of detail work. It will take alot of extra time but sure worth it!

[​IMG]

17. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That is a lot of hard work man :D

I believe BNegative used sewer unplugging acid stuff. He did not have to work hard for it at all to remove it.

18. timpelay

I used the same method! :) It works great. I hade to remove the anodized silver on the Dominator light bar kit aswell. Before I could polish them.

19. timpelay

[​IMG]

Here we go again guys. I'll let most of the pictures talk for themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks good? Waiting for high-gloss polish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made copper covers to the motherboard tray spacers. It's all in the small details. OFC high-gloss polished.

[​IMG]

To customize the Corsair H100i CPU cooler I made my own inserts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, pump insert!

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looking promising.:D