1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News France to disconnect pirates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

1. What ISP in their right minds is going to disconnect someone (and the person stop paying them) when all that will happen is that someone else living in the same property will sign up for an account with a different ISP.

2. Is this not a breach of the human rights act in some way I'm remembering vaguely that everyone is entitled to privacy of information (I just can not remember where I saw it)

3. Also just because it states that a specific IP is downloading illegal files prove that its the account holder doing it.

4. Anyone every heard of proxy servers

5. Whats to stop some one just changing the file name before its uploaded so that instead of reading *latest film name here* it just reads *my holiday videos* or something.

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais New Member

1 (as mentioned by ryu), would proxies make this redundant for the more hard core pirates?
    2, how will they email you with the first warning without (I'm guessing) breaching your privacy by forcing someone to divulge your details. its not like your email is tied to your IP. My ISP doesn't know any of my email accounts

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The traditional method for preventing "argh, privacy breach!!!11eleven" accusations is to pass the letter/e-mail to your ISP, who then forwards it to you. The first e-mail will, I would imagine, be sent to whatever e-mail address your ISP has on record for you. If you don't use that address, that's not their problem. The letter will be sent to your billing address, which your ISP does know.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I love anti-piracy methods.

I love insane goals, too.

They're fun :B

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Such a restrictive and draconian law will never pass through the French Parliament - It is one of the rare world democracy's where the government is still afraid of the people.

7. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

...have you tried torrenting over a proxy server?

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

What if your ISP doesn't hold any email address for you? When signing up, I refuse to give one normally.

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm. Not so sure about that, as governments seem to be more scared of the copyright lobby groups now. :( Also, there is the stupid connection that some people have in their heads that disagreeing with legislation like this makes you a pirate yourself. Which is patently nonsense, but that doesn't mean it's any less present in the heads of the anti-piracy lobby and most politicians (as they will think whatever the person handing them the wad of cash wants them to, half the time...)

And for those who are saying "My ISP doesn't have my e-mail address"... well, do you have a net connection? Do you send them money each month?

Then they have enough information to contact you. By e-mail or snail mail.

10. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Oh well, looks like France will be inventing a new kind of torrent encryption / proxy method.

The only problem I can see with this is that if France pass this bill and it works it won't be long before it spreads liek the black plague throughout the rest of Europe then in to the rest of Eurasia then on to the ol' USofA.

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I'm quite interested in the magical way that they get my email address without breaking privacy laws. Care to elaborate?

12. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

I don't think they can ever stop it, regardless of what they try. It's like trying to hold back the ocean :/

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Most ISPs provide you with an ISP e-mail. Chances are they'll write to that (if indeed they only use e-mail for the 'First Strike') and if you don't have that e-mail active... well they'll turn around and say, "We tried, but you ignored us."

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

my philosophy is not to punch the bear that is in his corner eating your picnic.... if they enrage the pirates then i think the repercussions of such act will surpass all damages that have been done by pirates...

15. remy

remy New Member

I live in France, and I'm afraid about this new law. What about my privacy ? My ISP will track all my IP packets ? Will I have to encrypt everything, to use proxy, etc... ? We are talking about chineese that can't do whatever they want with their internet connections. But I think that if the law is voted, France will be just like China ! France, a land of freedom ? Ahahah !!!

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I don't get all this...

Isn't copyright supposed to stop others from profiting from your work? In which case, all this downloading is perfectly within copyright law...

17. fungry

fungry New Member

In extension to your post, your ISP may provide you with an email. But not all ISPs do that. Just like mine. Maybe this will apply to France because ISPs do provide an email account. My guess is that, if a country does rectify such a law and your ISP does not provide you with an email. Expect the first warning in the form of a letter.

18. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    An ISP will be more than happy in kicking the heavy users out of their service.
    No privacy of information applies when performing illegal activities.
    The account holder will get informed at least two times before the disconnection.
    Nope. To protect your work from misuse.

19. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Member

Not technically true, however the data Protection Act in the UK does in include work arounds to obtain information for the purpose of investigating and preventing fraudulent activity -piracy in this case. A formal request just has to be made in accordance with Section 29(3) or 35 something and ANY information can be passed freely. If the info is used for anything else though that also is a criminal offence and the person/company misusing the info can be prosecuted. I would assume something similar will be in effect in France.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Also France have the wonderful clause in there legal system which makes this law much easier to enforce. Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Tags: Add Tags