1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

France unveils anti-piracy plan

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ỒĊBłůē, 23 Nov 2007.

1. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

BBC news story

I hope there's something to prevent this happening over here :sigh:

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

They give you a warning and dont throw you in jail (and take all your money). And to be fair you are stealing when you pirate, it IS illegal...

If you get a warning you just stop downloading, or get all your wares from your freinds if your that bothered :)

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

damn

that would be a b*tch if it came to england ... something else we can set all out police force on instead of catching real criminals. I swear if you murdered someone you would make you sentence one hell of a lot longer if you were caught speeding away from the scene of the crime ...

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I really dont see how murder is the same, and they aren't the "real police" they are a new organisation. And if you download pirated material you "are" a REAL criminal. Just because all the anti-piracy ads and whatnot are lol to the point of roflmao doesn't mean the message is wrong. The main problem with companies such as the RIAA (not the MPAA so much but they're getting there) is that they don't care if they are sueing a single mother who downloaded a song to try it first or if its a hardcore file sharer, they just want to sue sue sue,. everybody, who cares? Not them! *******S.

The real sucker would be if it came to england and so the record companies hiked their prices. If that happened there would be issues...

5. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

no I was just being semi serious and saying I dont have much trust in the government and their initiative.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

You mean the UK, not England.
    Plus, is it really a crime? Copyright infringement is a civil case not a criminal one, you can't go to prison, you can only get (heavily) fined.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

France :hehe: :lol:

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

@Ramble: not necessarily English law is quite different from Scots which is different from Irish. The biggest difference being in Scotland you need two forms of proof for every thing, thus why the average speed enforcement cameras can't be used up here. It may be quite difficult to get a prosecution under Scots law for this just from the proofs, in the first place all you have is an IP address, its barely enough for a warrant else where. With out a warrant it would be very difficult to find other forms of proof the suspect was actually downloading, unless the idiot was down the market selling what he had stolen.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Good solution. There'll be far less congestion for the people who don't download 24/7 - and it will certainly be the heavy users the ISPs will be checking on.

Why not? We have driving bans for bad behaviour.

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I like this plan a lot

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i also think this is very logic... it does not cut out piracy interely.... this would imbalance things and make lots of people really unhappy... this plan is non damaging in terms of time in jail and in terms of fines.... cool.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And I wrote a news story about this last night too :(:(

13. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

How's the monitoring going to work? (I would like to introduce you to my friend Encryption (that is until all encryption is considered suspect(no ssh for you only telnet)))
    What's the level of proof? (Considering that the IFPI is supporting it i would say not much (Hens have teeth i have proof of it))
    Does it take into account Fair Use (or the equiv) how about unregulated uses?
    Perhaps the outmoded scum at the IFPI would prefer it if the Internet was just a more effective version of the TV
    These actions and this bill will simply move the enforcers out of the Music cartels pocket books and into the ISPs.

Government enforcement for out of date business plans is always good to see

You see all this come from the problems that some stupid name for a law can cause.
    Copy Rights.
    they regulate copying but when you get into the world of computers Everything is a copy.
    I posted this by Copying the web page onto my computer several times then transferring a copy to my screen then i transmitted another copy with modifications in when i posted.

a simple renaming of the term would fix many issues with the concept.
    Distribution Rights > Copy Rights

A further problem is that Copyrights are no longer limited (11 retroactive extensions in the last 40 years in the US (and spread like a virus to the rest of the world)) this prevents anyone from doing to Disney what Disney did to the Brothers Grim or Steamboat Bill.

The uses of fake property such as Copyrighted works that we as a civilisation enjoyed in the past are becoming more and more regulated. (don't you dare sing happy birthday without paying for a public performance license( and that adobe ebook of the Public Domain work well lets just say don't read it to anyone else let alone use a text to voice app))

How about the pictures you took the other day or a short movie oh look a company logo lets go pay some money

A Decisive movement for monitoring and storage companies everywhere would be slightly more accurate
    A Decisive movement for more False positives as well.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/187

And after the French Govt and ISPs spend all that money on building the monitoring systems they still will either kill everything or do squat

Bogomip i don't know of any reasonable country where non commercial distribution right infringement is a criminal offence

Cpemma Perhaps the ISP facing congestion could A. Redesign their network B. Consider joining the 21st century with their equipment Or C. Stop Selling Stuff that they Don't Have

Darklord i would be more interested in digital distribution of media files if they had any benefit to me and followed current law governing objects such as books\cds (right of first sale is first to mind)

and finally read my sig to get a final comment on this LL again