1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Free (!) data recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by IamJudd, 9 May 2021.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Modder

The minefield which is software from an unknown source... A friend has a dodge memory card from a Canon camera... it's buggered up his photos and I've said I'll try and get them back. Some of the "free" options are too expensive but I'd be happy to pay up to £20 for him - luckily, said free options have found the 10.72GB of files (on a 2GB memory card - go figure).

So can anyone point me onto a decent option with a "start and leave" kind of thing?

it's 6 months worth of fishing photos and he's gutted!

Thanks in advance,

Ian

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think I used Recuva to pull data off a jiggered SD card a few years back - it finds filenames and details of deleted files too (hence the 10GB from 2GB deal), but you leave it running and then just select and copy all to a fresh drive - it's hardly labour intensive.

I feel like there's a joke in there...

Last edited: 9 May 2021
  3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

What a catch Dave!

David likes this.
  4. IamJudd

IamJudd Modder

Got hook line and sinker! Went with REcuva and got a deal based on installing it then uninstalling after trial...

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I've used the free and open source PhotoRec before. It isn't most inviting to use (simple command line UI) and took a long time to do it's stuff, but it had some success where other quicker more friendly looking solutions failed.

6. creative

creative 500rwhp

not free... unless you look for it.

I had a mates 3tb drive fail a while ago and I tried everyone on the market and not one piece of software worked except the last I used, UFS explorer pro recovery.

It found and recovered 99% of the files.... the other software, especially with photo's ALL had failed headers and whilst they could be recovered, they were all broken.