1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Free HL2 content for Core 2 Duo?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by _Kat_, 23 Jan 2007.

1. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

lmfao :D ,

The reason you are noticing no difference is because there isn't any! Nvidia cards do not support 6x anti-aliasing, it's strictly ATI territory.

Therefore, when you select 6x AA, your video card will use 0x instead.

Try setting 4x in the nvidia control panel or in the in game options. Then you'll see a difference.

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Ahh.. I see, well that's rather stupid then :rolleyes:

I still don't see a difference between 0x, 2x, and 4x though. Well there's a tiny difference between 0x and 4x, but it's barely noticeable, because of that stupid glow that seems to surround everything, even with HDR and bloom and reflections all off... *sigh* :rolleyes:

3. WhiskeyAlpha

I think the HDR lighting looks great in the source engine. Personally, I'd leave it on. And the reflections? Why wouldn't you want realistic reflections?

Try creating a custom profile in the Nvidia control panel ('manage 3d settings' IIRC) set:

'Transparency Anti Aliasing' to 'SuperSampling',
    'Gamma Correct Anti Aliasing' to 'on',
    'Anti Aliasing' to '4x',
    'Anisotropic Filtering' to '16x' and
    'Image Quality' to 'High Quality'

Leave all other settings as default (though you might also consider 'V-Sync', 'on' and 'Triple Buffering', 'on')

Now to me that makes a huge difference.

But tbh DarkLord, if you're finding it hard to tell the difference between 0xAA and 4xAA then you're a lucky man. i.e. it means you'll never need a hideously expensive video card :thumb:

4. DarkLord7854

Haha, I'll try that when I get home, though it may be because I run everything at 1024 by 768.

The problem I get is that the screen blinds me :rolleyes:
    Specialy in GMod10, I grabbed some sunglasses last time I played because the screen was so incredibly bright, and toning down the brightness didn't help.. Oh well, never had this problem with my 9600 though, weird.

Anyways.. back to the topic :p
    Is there any difference with that demo? All it did was boot up my HL2 retail copy

5. WhiskeyAlpha

A final off-topic (I promise this time :))

The 9600 series doesn't support HDR lighting - that'll be why.

Good luck with your settings and always try and run at your native res. If 1024x768 is your native res then cool. :thumb:

/off-topic

6. DarkLord7854

'Tis 1440x900 but it's not supported (darned games with no widescreen support!(The widescreen ratio options don't work well))

7. WhiskeyAlpha

Go the video tab in options (at the hl2 menu screen) and select '16:10' as your aspect ratio. 1440x900 is definitely supported in the source engine and should be available once you've adjusted your aspect ratio.

Consider the fact that your card will now be drawing 509,568 more pixels than it was at 1024x768 and you might well find that the control panel settings I suggested cause a very big impact on fps.

Maybe consider 0xAA (the improvement gained from having a higher resolution and the correct aspect ratio will far outweigh the loss of AA).

It's definitely there, and makes a massive difference to the enjoyment of the game - HL2 kicks ass in widescreen :)

I presume you run your desktop @ 1440x900?

8. DarkLord7854

I see, I tried playing around with aspect ratios, but it was before I got the GS, and was just with the 9600, so everytime I'd change something, it would start straining and everyone would freeze and what not so I never really touched the resolution. I'll do that when I get home, should be interesting to play at the proper resolution for once :D

And yea, I got the 19" widescreen because of my desktop :hehe: Needed more room :p
    Was 150$, was a nice deal :hip:

I really wonder what I can get out of this card, haven't really strained it.. hmm

Tags: