1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Free MP3s of every record you've ever bought with new Amazon Autorip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Jun 2013.

1. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Cloud player is awesome, even if it does now have my mother's copies of Lionel Ritchie and Ronan Keating in it ...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I bought one - *one* - cricket-related book as a gift, and for *years* Amazon kept recommending others to me in place of products I might actually want. The relief I felt when they added the option to manually tune the recommendation engine...

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

yeah 250 isn't much and it's only music brought directly from Amazon, I've brought several CD's from Amazon listed vendors and their not showing.

Their essentially saying were going to give you a digital copy of any CD you've brought from us and only us as long as you store it on our servers.

It's a nice idea to try and get you to use their service but I'm sticking with Google Music.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Load Cloud Player. Choose a song. Hit the 'Download' button. Get a DRM-free, 256Kb/s MP3. Store locally, or upload to Google Music, iTunes Match or A. N. Other service. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Sadly, if you're using Cloud Player in a browser, you have to download each song individually - but for free, it's better than a kick in the unmentionables.

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

*points at checkboxes on left of each and every song in the list, then points at "Download" button at the top*

You're welcome. :)

6. Gareth Halfacree

You had me all excited then, and Amazon brought me crashing back down.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Ah, Linux. Apologies, I'm a Windows man. :)

8. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Why should the OS matter? Surely a download link should be OS independent if the site is even half ways intelligently engineered - a zip file containing the files would work on (almost) every OS.

9. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

So far none of the CDs I have bought (2) have been added to my account. Thankfully. Not sure I want Pop Party 4 as an MP3.

I'm guessing this service is also not for compilation albums either.

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I ended up with almost 100 new albums getting added, including a few I guess must have been gifts (Stereophonics? well, ok then).
    Oddly, several of the albums were the special editions, when I only bought the standard version, cheers Amazon! You're my favourite tax-dodging monopoly!

11. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

mp3 is super low quality, it should be long abandoned, unless you don't hear to real music, just NOISE.

12. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I'll be honest I think it's a great offer. They didn't have to do it and I'm impressed that they have.

Best of all I've had a My Bloody Valentine album added that I had stolen several years back and never got around to replacing. It's playing now as I type, so thanks Amazon, made my day.

13. Gareth Halfacree

The OS shouldn't matter - especially as I'm using the same browser, Firefox, as I would be using were I on Windows. My guess is that Amazon is tying the multiple file download feature into the Amazon MP3 Downloader, part of the Amazon MP3 Store - and a piece of software that is Windows and Mac exclusive.

I get around it on the Amazon MP3 Store by using a third-party package that can parse the AMZ files intended for the Amazon MP3 Downloader and grab the files - but the Cloud Player won't let me get at the AMZ files. Although, I wonder what would happen if I spoofed a Windows user agent...

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Wow it doesn't include music you bought previously as MP3 download. Very odd.

15. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I thought that was an already existing feature? It certainly is on my account :eyebrow:

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Never mind took 30 minutes to load my purchase history, but finally its all there. Even the stuff I bought on the mobile app that used to not show anywhere. So yeah first log in it takes a while to compile I guess.

17. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've bought loads of CDs on Amazon but most have been through marketplace sellers. And most I've bought for myself are converted to either flac or 320kbps MP3

18. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I can't hear the difference between MP3 and Flac/CD, but that's from destroying my hearing at too many gigs ;0

19. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Amazing how many times you hear this trotted out. It's nonsense. Okay, mp3 is not the most efficient codec (ie more modern codecs can deliver equivalent quality in smaller filesize) but at high bitrate (320, 256 - as offered by amazon - or even 192 Kbps) a well encoded mp3 has repeatedly been shown to be indistinguishable from the original in blind ABX tests conducted by audiophiles on very high end equipment. Do you have some sort of magic ears that let you hear the (empirically imperceptible) differences or are you sitting comparing waveforms on a monitor?

20. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Well no, because you obviously won't get the full value back, especially after you pay for postage. Anyway, why go to such lengths? You could have achieved the same result before auto rip by buying, ripping and selling the CDs, but then if you're going to be so cheap about skanking "free" music then I'm sure you'll just cut out the intermediate steps and acquire your music from a torrent site.

Tags: Add Tags