1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free ntl speed increase!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by severedhead, 6 May 2005.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Ntl is giving free bandwidth away again! Got the confirmation letter this morning, however some of the the following wasn't mentioned in it... like the caps, although there is a slight upload increase. I pulled this off ispreview.

2. TechnoScream

TechnoScream Minimodder

i have "750k" at the moment... 2mb sounds good but i dont really want it capped. is this an option or is this to be forced on us?

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

This news sounds a bit late. I haven't been offered the option of increased speed. It says they'd increase speeds on the 14th March. Has anyone noticed this? 300K to 1M would be great but I don't know about the measly 3gb limit. As it is I've downloaded 1.86gb this month and something like 15 gb last month. On 1M I'd be able to download so much quicker I'd probably get through 3gb in a day.

4. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

If i remember correctly my 750k was capped at 1gb a day?
    Went over it a few times never was contacted

5. K

K 528491

Woah, 3meg. Nice.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

this has been on for ages now - you can either stick with what you got, or change via the web to the new speed.

I didnt go from 300-1mbit because the cap was way too small, even for regular browsing and web downloads id be a bit dubious!

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Yeah this is old news, the new speeds have been in place for some time now.

NTL have never really enforced their caps before. It's most likely just a measure to keep the P2P police off their backs.

Let's hope they don't start enforcing them, but for the last 2 years I have been with them I have regularly broken the 1GB/day limit and never even heard a peep from them.

8. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Haven't heard a peep from NTL but then again, I can't remember my login details and haven't done so for 18 months so I guess that could be why.... :)

9. severedhead

I thought it might be a little old news but never realised until today.

Anyone have any experience with capped connections? Does it include upload? Also how much data would online games push/pull? I like to play CS:S for a good few hours a night.

And 40GB a month at 3Mbps? Thats less than an hour at full bandwidth a day, suddenly it looks a lot less appealing.

I've just dug out the letter again and read it again properly:
    no mention at all about caps, time to get on the blower.

10. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

lol the 300K to whatever is a bit useless with only 3GB cap isn't it ... Guess it's basically saying upgrade if you are the customers who want fast internet only for browsing sites etc...

11. severedhead

Just got off the phone with ntl, apparently I'm already capped at 1GB per day! Sneaky. But have not noticed any problems so I can't be using it that much! They are going to have it changed over within the hour to the new speed, still capped at 1GB per day.

As for the cap, they say that if you go over your limit they will send you a letter informing you of this and may have to charge extra depending on how much over the limit you are. If you hit twice as much there may be an extra months pay! Hmm...

12. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I've had the speed increase for a while now ( 1.5 -> 3 :D), me and my housemates use the connection *allot* and i've not heard a peep from NTL. I read somewhere they weren't going to enforce anything till later summer or something? My contract will be over by then, woo.