1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Free Scanning Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arboreal, 3 Aug 2022.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have been happily using a Canon MP250 combo unit to scan in documents at work.
    I usually use it as a WIA device in Photoshop Elements 12, which works fine and produces good scans.
    The scans I have been getting recently after an interface change are really not as good or detailed as they were.

I have tried demo Vuescan which is fine but overkill to buy and Scanspeeder is doing great work while the demo lasts...

Any recommendations for a free or low cost option for me please?.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Are you tied to Windows? 'cos I've had great success using my Fujitsu SP-1425 with Simple Scan ("Document Scanner") in Linux. It can drive the ADF and everything.

Here's a scan I did of an Interzone magazine, after removing the spine so I could feed it through the ADF (hurts, but I've no room for the piggin' things - so it's slice, scan, recycle!)

[​IMG]

I use Simple Scan to output PNGs, then a script I wrote to tie together a bunch of tools to compress the PNGs into JPEGs, optimise 'em, pass 'em through Tesseract to add a text layer for full-text search, and output a PDF. Works a treat!

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks Gareth, when I saw that you'd replied I thought 'he'll ask about windies...'

It's a Win 10 work PC which is tied for a number of other bits of software

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Can you run WSL on this system? If so, what G said is still valid.

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

reallly ... I'm more surprised he accepted that there was such a thing as windaz