1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News French Minister wants games classified as art

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 9 Nov 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

At least the guy has a sense of humour.

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

True, but non the less a nice thing.
    btw link is broken

4. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Wow, what a great guy. It makes a nice change to see some possitive views on games.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Come to think of it, why hasnt anybody tried toestablish video games as art. There is alot of work putingto games and alot of artwork etc. Films are pieces of art so why not games. Games are along the lines of a film to me. You have scripts, artists, actors, directors etc. Its not just code.

6. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Damn right its not! Just how a painting isnt just colours. And like you say, games are on the same lines as a film, which I agree on, so surely if we made games an artform then wouldnt be have to place films in there to?

7. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

Yeah this does make sense. There are actual artist that actually draw out characters and such. Well, are comic books considered art??

8. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

If you really look at games, they are a complex system of mathematical precision, which is masked by what starts as concept art and is eventually turned into a precise 3d model with textures and colors, like a 3d painting.

How is a game not art compared to things that are called art? Carving a statue out of stone or a virtual environment still takes detication and creativity.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Let's look at that. Taking a large piece of marble and removing pieces to create a model of a man carrying a sling is considered art. After all, as you said, it takes dedication and creativity.

In that same line, taking a seemingly random string of letters and numbers and combining them such they create a model of a man carrying a BFG could be comparable because, again as you said, it takes dedication and creativity. After all, producing a game takes a lot of creativity and dedication, from the earliest design phases to actually implementing the code so that everything renders properly on screen. Id didn't create Quake by accident.

Still, I don't think the video game itself is necessarily art just because someone worked on it for a while. Rather, like so many things in life, I think the video game is the culmination of a combination of disciplines. It combines elements from art (such as modelling, texturing, cinematics) and engineering (computer code, etc.). Would it still be art if you stripped the pretty graphics? Is a poem or orchestral movement art if it doesn't come with pictures?

Or, as Frank Zappa said, "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."

-monkey

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Games aren't art, and shouldn't be classified as so. I'd say the demoscene maybe in it's own geeky way almost approaches art, but certainly video games proper are no where near art in my mind.

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

visual elements = art

sound (including but not limited to background music) = art

storyline (some have almost none but most RPGs have a novel's worth) = art

cut scenes = art

There is even an "art" to creating the interface.

But at the same time; is a board game, or even a card game, "art" simply becuase the pieces contain artwork?

I'm leaning towards a "yes but...?"

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think a better parallel would be industrial design as art, which is widely considered to be a valid link.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Becuase GTA games keep coming out.

14. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Is a movie based on a video game art? (technically yes but I've yet to see a good one)

:hehe: (Thankfully no movie of that yet) :worried:

Although the situation is really no worse than all the sequels Hollywood keeps dumping on us. Nor is Hollywood any more creative about movies (one studio makes a movie about virus outbreaks so the other does too, one studio makes a movie about asteroids ..., one takes on a poplar comic book character(s) ...

Last edited: 10 Nov 2006
Tags: Add Tags