1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Fresh Fusion: 30-11: Do the GPU Shuffle!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xtrafresh, 27 Dec 2007.

1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

[​IMG]

Hello there. This is the worklog for the "Fresh Fusion" project. The main goal of this project is to place my PC into the custom-built desk i have in my living room. A major factor in this build is that it should look like a displaycase for my hardware, and be absolutely wire-free.

This is a project done with very limited and realistic resources. My PC is good, but not extreme. I have no access to a workshop or professional tools. I don't have weeks of free time to endlessly build away. My experience with the needed tools and materials is virtually zero. All i have is inspriration, a drive for modding and a love for harware. In a way, that is the point of this worklog: get people to realize that everyone can mod! :clap:

Since this is my very first project, and i'm learning things as i go, this worklog might come off as a bit of a mess. Forgive me :blush:
    The first page or so contains no actual modding, just me getting advice from the community about design and planning. As a result of this, I started this thread in the modding section, and it was later moved to worklogs.

I've added an index of all my updates below, so you can easily navigate through this thread. I'm hoping that the log will be a good read, but also informative to new and experienced modders. In

Updates:
    • [post=1629142]28-12-2007[/post]: rethinking the basic design
    • [post=1629809]29-12-2007[/post]: basic sketchup designs
    • [post=1630363]30-12-2007[/post]: planning the double floorboard
    • [post=1634608]05-01-2008[/post]: more sketchup drawings, more explanation
    • [post=1637025]08-01-2008[/post]: more decision making
    • [post=1637293]08-01-2008[/post]: acrylic: 1 - Xtrafresh 0 | color sampling for the window
    • [post=1637628]09-01-2008[/post]: frontpanel v0.0.1 and fan disassembly
    • [post=1638484]10-01-2008[/post]: first mockup, miserable failure
    • [post=1641198]14-01-2008[/post]: second mockup (succes!) and some more shopping
    • [post=1642557]15-01-2008[/post]: logo!
    • [post=1644611]17-01-2008[/post]: HDD bracket production
    • [post=1650345]25-01-2008[/post]: extra design decisions
    • [post=1651505]26-01-2008[/post]: new HDD bracket
    • [post=1662090]08-02-2008[/post]: assorted building
    • [post=1662106]08-02-2008[/post]: sidepanel with fans
    • [post=1662134]08-02-2008[/post]: multifunctionpanel fitting inside the desk
    • [post=1662896]09-02-2008[/post]: major progress!
    • [post=1698668]31-03-2008[/post]: I'm back!
    • [post=1699553]01-04-2008[/post]: Tough love on the main tray
    • [post=1699606]01-04-2008[/post]: Cable management 201
    • [post=1699751]01-04-2008[/post]: Shiny Sidepanel
    • [post=1704729]07-04-2008[/post]: Frontpanel with controls
    • [post=1707027]10-04-2008[/post]: Final HDD Bracket
    • [post=1816889]3-09-2008[/post]: second Final HDD Bracket and project restart!
    • [post=1817647]5-09-2008[/post]: HDD rack finished at last! Shiny pics!
    • [post=1830772]24-09-2008[/post]: GPU coverplate
    • [post=1851269]26-10-2008[/post]: buildup 0.1, the project is taking shape!
    • [post=1862317]11-11-2008[/post]: Stealthing a Reserator
    • [post=1873496]30-11-2008[/post]: Do the GPU shuffle!

Expenses so far: 315,68 (in euros)
    • 22,60 - 2 sheets of clear acrylic 100x50 (2mm), bought at the local DIY-store
    • 19,99 - blue glass-tinting film, bought at a car-tuning shop
    • 27,50 - fake dremel, DIY-store
    • 10,00 - assorted plexi, local hobbystore
    • 17,34 - Wood-design sticker, specialty shop
    • 8,95 - threadwire, angle-iron, nuts&bolts, DIY
    • 12,30 - dremel bits, DIY
    • 22,00 - Coolermaster Musketeer 1, 4Launch online store
    • 53,70 - Lights, fans and cables, B&G computers online store
    • 23,00 - powered 7-port USB hub, local computer store
    • 43,00 - various cables and tools, Azerty Hardware
    • 21,30 - showercurtain parts for HDD bracket, DIY
    • 34,00 - Flexible PCIe x16 Risercard, eBay

Last edited: 30 Nov 2008
  2. Xtrafresh

First of all a big hello to you people here at Bit-tech, and my congratulations for the great site!

I'm completely new to casemodding, but not to building computers. I build one everytime a family member needs a new one or breaks an old one :thumb:
    I've recently got it in my head to do a big mod. Basically it boils down to this:

I'm going to integrate the components of my PC in a self-built desk, without actually using a case.

I am new to this, so i'm going to need a lot of advice, hence this thread. :hip:
    Eventually this will turn into a worklog, but the rules about posting plans as a log are quite specific: don't.
    Ah well, we'll see about all that later, first it is time for some details!

The PC:

[​IMG]

Code:
    Mainbord:        Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (rev.2, flashed to bios F8)
    CPU:             Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (clocked @2.97GHz)
    CPU Cooler:      AC Freezer Pro 7
    VGA:             GeForce 8800GTS 640MB Gainward TV 2xDVI
    RAM:             2x 1GB G.E.I.L. PC2-6400 (GX22GB6400UDC), (ultra series)
    HDD1:            SATA 150GB Western Digital WD1500AD Raptor
    HDD2:            SATA 160GB 7200 2MB Seagate ST3160211AS
    PSU:             Revoltec Chromus II 450, Active
    DVD-RW:          Nec 7170A (Black)
    Case:            AP Turbine
    Display:         2x Sony LCD SDM-HS95P
    Input:           Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3200
    The Desk:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The desk is not really a desk.
    I took out the door in the stair-closet in the livingroom. <insert Harry Potter-joke here>
    A multiplex board hangs supported by 3 walls on normal desk-height.
    I sit with my chair in the door-opening.:rock:
    The two monitors stand on a raised section, the old stereo-amplifyer i use instead of a soundcard is sitting below there.

The Plan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I plan to discard the PC case and build all the components in the space below the monitors.
    Ofcourse, the desk itself will be seriously updated. I want to tack the whole thing with black imitation leather. (maybe i'll concider white instead)
    I'll also fit a few blue LED lights from IKEA. They're cheap as hell, and kinda extend the blue LED theme the PC has out into the desk.
    The whole rig needs to be aircooled with the components i have right now, for budgettary reasons. Maybe one day i can upgrade to watercooling.
    In the front, a plexiglass cover will close the space off to prevent too much dust problems.
    All the cables to peripherals can be connected inside the setup, so the mainboard I/O panel will be facing the wall.
    The amplifier stays where it is. I will use only the left and middle "compartment" under the screens to place the PC in.

Dimensions of the current "box" in which the PC needs to be built:
    Code:
    Width:    104  cm
    Depth:    32   cm
    Height:   15.5 cm
    Here's a short list of problems i foresee:
    • keeping the thing cool: figuring out the best airflow path.
    • keeping the thing clean: making the rig airtight, but servicable.
    • building a good-looking and sturdy frontpanel for USB and power/reset buttons.
    • harvesting the PC case for parts without destroying everything. :wallbash:

Questions i have:
    • If neccisary, i can cut the bottom out, creating more height to place stuff. Is this advisable?
    • Shall i use the 25cm fan that is installed in the case? I am concidering placing it in the bottom plate on the far left or right, and installing one or two 12 cm fans in the top plate on the other side as an exit. will this work and succeed in keeping this system cool?
    • I'm thinking of placing the mainboard at an agle, mailny for esthetic reasons. Will this cause any problems for the used equipment? Optical drives are all placed straight.

I would really appreceate all input that you people have.
    Do you foresee any trouble?
    Can you help me with anything on the problems list?
    Do you have any general ideas and/or hints?
    What materials should i use for the desk building?

The next step is to draw a detailed plan of the placements of all the components. I'm going to take measurements now, expect another post tonight!:naughty:

and here is a preliminary paint mockup of the PC's layout under the monitors. The HDDs will be placed above the DVD, but not very high. Directly above those two 120mm fans will provide airflow exit, the 250mm fan on the right will take care of the intake.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Apr 2008
  3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

if its enclosed all the way around you can have 2 120mm fans on each side. one side for intake one for exhaust.

i wouldnt use the 25cm fan. unless its really high quality. just stick with 120mm fans that are good quality.

as long as that closet thing isnt too hot i would think having it as i said should work.

but to do it you need to have the left side not right up against the wall.

you could maybe have the intake, which would be on the left, form underneath through 2 holes and use a 90 degree airduct thing to blow air over the components and then the other 2 fans blow it out the right side.

also if there is room behind the monitors i would cut some holes and use mesh to have air vents so hot air can rise out of there as well.

you have plenty of room under there so you dont have to have the parts very close together which will help keep it cool.

use some plexiglass (black maybe) for the back, sides and front to enclose it all and make it look nice.

4. Xtrafresh

thx for the pointers :dremel:

I was planning on using the 25cm fan because i like it, i know it's overkill :cooldude:. It's an excellent fan though, real silent, and i really would dig the way it will look mounted in the desk.
    I'll definately go fo the black plexiglass thing on the back, great idea!
    The mainboard can't be placed at the angle i was talking about though, the AC Freezer is too high :wallbash:

I've realised another problem though: the GPU is almost completely blocking the airflow. Also, it has it's own airflow, now aimed at the wall, i don't think it can lose it's heat atm.
    I'm going to solve this problem by rotating the motherboard 90%, and then mirroring the entire setup.

The fan will be placed on the left, then the motherboard with GPU, and everything else will be just mirrored.
    This also has the benefit of being able to place the 120mm fan on the right side planel, instead of having to drill the top.

the new schetch:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Dec 2007
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

Hi Xtrafresh,

what an interresting idea you have there. :hip:

I suppose one of the reasons you have for putting everything up under the monitors, is to also be able to enjoy looking at the great parts you have there?

Rotating the motherboard is probably a very good idea, and as long as you have air intake at the desk level and air outtake at the monitor level, or out through the front, or up behind the two monitors I think you'll be just fine for cooling the parts.

What about using clear plexi with that window shade stuff, for the front. This will make you able to see anything when the LED's, lights, cathodes etc. are turned on, but will stealth everything if you turn off the lights. I think stealthability would be cool.

Also I would consider mounting the HD's under the DVD drive. This would make it easier to leave some stuff on the table, when you have the DVD tray move in and out.

For my own - also highly integrated desktop pc and deskspace - I have some external drives and other stuff connected via USB, I have multiple shelves above the desktop it self, and can thus place things so they are handy to get to, and so that operating the DVD tray will not interfere with whatever I have sitting on the desk, be it keyboard, laptop, soldering iron etc.

So my personal choice has been to leave the pc parts still inside the pc case, and place it underneath the desktop, and just extend connections to the things I access, above the desktop. I just thought I might also throw that idea in there.

Anyway, for easy access to all the parts, you may want to consider using slideable trays for all the parts, so it's easy to move things out on the table, to allow for serviceing/upgrading etc.
    Such trays could be built from plexi, or stuff you cut out of old cases. I would not consider hacking up the case you have, as it looks so nice, and you may some day want to move the stuff back into a regular pc case.

For dust proofing, all you need are air filters on the intake fan. I don't know if you can get standard airfilters for a 25 cm fan, so making some using womens black nylon stockings may be the way to go. :eyebrow:

For inexpensive on/off buttons and such, I would also advice using something from an old case, or an old remote or some other gadget that has a miniature switch.
    If you can not find any old cases where you live, try to advertise for some old parts here on bit-tech. I'm sure there may be one or two of the readers here :lol: that may have some old stuff laying around that they may be able to send you for cheap or even for free :thumb:

6. Xtrafresh

I have 3 reasons for moving the PC to this custom space:
    1. To free up the space below the desk
    2. To look at all the great parts as you mentioned
    3. 'cos i can :dremel:

The "window shade stuff" you describe sounds cool, where can i get my hands on it?

Oh, and dont worry, i'm not going to cut up THIS case, apart from removing the fan. I have a few old bangers lying around for that.
    I'm not sure i can fabricate sliders for everything, that may just be a bit out of my league...

Oh, and thanks a bunch for the DVD tray hint, that's gotta be a lifesaver.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

The "windows shade stuff", is available in most car styling/accessories shops. Its usually available in silver and black-ish, but I have also seen shades of green. Sometimes the black can also appear silver from one side. So beware that you get the right black-ish kind.

Good to hear that you have some old cases to salvage parts from.

About the sliders.
    I was mainly thinking some kind of base plates for the parts. It could just be acryllic plates, or cutting boards from Ikea, or a cutout of metal.
    The actual sliders can be fancy rolling sliders for cubboards (like kitchen cubboards), but can also just be plastic feet, or acryllic bars, or even the soft part of velcro tape. Anything that make it easy to slide the parts in and out - and maybe something that prevents scratching up the surface of your desk.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Welcome to Bit-Tech

With your current plans I'm concerned with the PSU being in the middle. Personally I think all of your biggest heat producers (CPU, GPU, & PSU) should be near the exhaust so they don't heat the other components.

Also:
    What about:
    [​IMG]?
    That would be much more unique and customized, and it would save space.

9. Xtrafresh

I like the way you think, but that wall is made of the strongest concrete i know, and not fun to drill. Plus, i don't think it'll look too good (dont forget i have zero fabrication skills :p)

Oh, and about the heating... i thought it would be best to place the hottest components close to the coolest air. Anyway, the airflow will be more then enough, and a lot more then in the current case, so no worries there :)

10. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

Hmmm.... I had not thought about the order of the heat sources, but I must say, I tend to agree with Tyinsar, that it would be worth considering placing the hottest heat sources last. On the other hand, if there is ample airflow, like Xtrafresh mentionens, then it may not matter.

hmmmm.... so maybe a mockup test would be wise.

Like just placeing the components where they should be, hook them up and power up the system, with a cardboard front made, and a cardboard duct/cut-out where the fans are just mounted in the front-cover-cardboard, and then try to monitor the temp of cpu, hd and the likes that have temp sensors built-in.
    This way one would be able to make a table showing the temps, with the parts placed in different order, and then one can easily decide if one or the other order of placing the things are actually a practical necessity.

Hey - the cardboard front cover could even have "windows" cut out with transparent plastic taped on, so part of the fell of the looks of the parts could also be tested out. It may even turn out that if the placement makes no or little difference to the temps, then there may be some need or desire to adjust the placements of the components, just for better viewing experience?

Just a thought anyway. :idea:

11. Xtrafresh

good idea pegasus, a mockup test would be nice.

One minor problem with airflow testing is that i have to cut the gigantic 25cm hole first, and i cant really change that after i cut it, can i?:duh:

I've been playing with sketchup for a while now, this thing absolutely :rock::rock::rock:

here's the virgin desk :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Feb 2008
  12. Xtrafresh

Ok, time for the first serious decisions! :worried:

We need a name! I've decided on Fresh Fusion, i like the sound of it, with a little hint at cold fusion :)

Now, lets outline some of the design goals, i realise i havent been very clear so far.
    • I'm goin for a very segmented look, meaning all the components of the PC should be separated and visible by themselves
    • I want to see as few cables as possible
    • The main theme color for the internal lighting is blue, i dont want any other colors of leds in there
    • The PC should be "upgradable". Meaning that for my 2008 upgrade, i should be able to slap all my new parts in without trouble

And finally, i decided to stick with that second placement design i made. Here is the whole thing in sketchup:
    (with a lot of thanks to Jezmck's component collection and contributors)
    [​IMG]

Some minro decisions i was able to make according to this sketchup:
    • the PSU will be placed backwards and upside down. This will allow me to hide almost all the cabling in the back, and show off the pretty blue I/O button. Also,the fan will not be facing the wood :)
    • I'm making extra blowholes behind the monitors, but not a lot. Aside from that, the two fans in the side panel should be sufficient for exiting air.
    • I'm getting rid of all the wooden pegs for a MUCH cleaner look. The plexiglass i'll use should be able to support the weight of the two monitors easily.
    • The power plug unit that is shown on the first outline is removed from the "box" and bolted or glued underneath the desk, to reduce clutter inside the box.

Ok, i'm off, shopping for materials! :)

Just for good measure, here's another sketch. I rather like the coloring this way, maybe i'll stick with it :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Dec 2007
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

Hey!! I really like what you have come up with so far.
    I especially like that you have some color on the desk now. And that you have decided to do some of the wireing underneth the desk. :thumb:

Are you going to also make holes for some (or all of the other wireing) so you get a basically wire free design?
    with all of the wires underneth the desk? or behind a back coverplate?

hmm.... making all those holes in the desk, might make it difficult to change things at a later date :grr: - unless..... one were to sort of cut out the whole square piece of the board, so a new board could be put in if some of the wiering would need to change.

hmmmm.... that migh also make the whole assembly/wireing easier, if one were sort of able to mount everytning onto a board, and then slide the whole assembly into place from the buttom of the desk.

Let me illustrate with a simple sketch. maybe that whole cut idea should just be saved for a later date, if it ever is needed.

Also... one could simply cover the oversized holes in the desk - needed to accomodate the plugs - with some round corner acrylic cut-outs.

Just a few thoughts. However I am mainly (patiently) waiting to see your next illustrations or pictures.

14. Xtrafresh

Thanks for all the great input Pegasus!

I've also been thinking about cutting away the entire thing. That would enable me to mod it a bit more, like slanting the whole board, dropping it 10cm to give it a bit more of a "fishtank" feel, etc etc.

I decided not to do it, because of my first design goal above. I want the thing to look segmented, like they are just a few parts slapped on my desk. From that view, keeping the desk as intact as possible is very important.

About running the cabling below the desk: that would be hella cool, but i doubt all the cables are long enough, so that all requires a bit more research. For that same reason i also decided to switch the positioning of the mobo and the PSU. The picture above is out of date again. :wallbash:

What i was thinking about for hiding the cabling is this:

I'm going to make a board (plexiglass, wood, metal?) on which everything will be mounted. The board will rest on the desk in the front, and in the back it will be raised about 2 cm. That way i'll create the hiding place for the cables, without looking too artificial. It will also serve as a good way to be able to service the whole rig, making it removable.

Sketchup drawing will follow... later! There's beer and poker waiting for me now :)

Ow, one more question, i really require your expertise on this... The whole casing will end up being made of wood and plexiglass. Will i run into trouble for that? (static electricity, rig not grounded, etc)

15. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

Hey - I think that way of adding an extra "hidden" buttom to the whole design is a great idea :clap: Many plusses to that design.

Well, that part about static is always a bit tricky when working on parts.

Once they are put together however, then they are all connected by a ground wire, and thus all components will always keep the same static level.

It may however still be wise to add a ground wire from the frame of HDs and DVD cases, to a ground wire of the system. Lots of people use acryllic cases, and they hardly ever experience static problems (or when they do, they just don't know that it was cause by a static problem - and ie. the lack of a ground wire to the case of the DVD drive).

So what - short - advice to give when working with the parts?? Always touch the pcb (or frame part) of two parts you are going to put together first. That will always make sure that the two pats are at the same static level.
    The challenge is that one has to remember to do it EVERY time one brings the two parts close to one another.

A simple way is to wear a wrist band, connected to the ground part of the main piece/board that you are working on, and then just touch the pcb (non-wire) part first to all parts that you grab hold of.
    By the way the DIY wrist band can just be a piece of wire strapped to your arm or leg (the metal part of the wire should have some way of touching your skin).

And even if you forget to do that - 999 of a 1000 times you will still be lucky, to not static fry anytning. So its that one in a thousand, we try to prevent with wise anti-static work habits.

Once you have the whole thing assembled - and up and running - I suppose the only time one should worry about static is when dusting, or touching any parts the potrude from the case, like the button array and DVD drive. And even then we are still talking that one in a thousand times of touching, that there may be a problem.

I think that is the shortes (best advice) I can give about fighting static in a non metal case. :idea: [​IMG]

Hope it gives you some ideas, but mainly some peace of mind.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

looks pretty good but I would center the case in the middle of the desk

17. Xtrafresh

thanks for all that pegasus, i'll sleep better now :thumb:

Oh and The_Beast, look at the top pictures. The part where i am putting the PC is the center of the desk, there's just an extra bit on the side where the stairs are.

18. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

Hi looks like a great project.

I recently completed a furniture/case type mod myself, so you might find it useful.

As an air-cooling nut, I do have some reservations about your air flow. The 25cm fan is a horrible intake fan as it has a terrible pressure curve. Not only so, its airflow must take a 90 degree turn to flow thru the system. Undoubtably, 2 lower speed 120mm fans blowing in, in a laminar flow, will give you much better cooling. Then again, it does look wicked awesome. Just as long as it meets your air cooling needs, but I would say its not optimal.

navig

19. Xtrafresh

Hey Navig, thanks for that guide, it was indeed pretty useful.

It looks like we share the same ideals when it comes to case design.
    The main difference is that you are oriented on performance mainly, and i'm more concerned with silence. With all those fans it appears to me that your case cannot be too silent, at least not the kind of silence i'm looking for. That is the main reason i am using that bigass fan: it's a beast, but on tip-toes :clap:

Anyway, you being an airflow nut (certifiable, by the looks of your projects :jawdrop: ), here are a few questions for you:

• i thought a bit of reversing the airflow: using the two 120mm fans on the side as intake, the 250mm as exhaust. Will that work better?
    • if i have the 250mm fan blowing away happily, do i even need the two 120mm fans on the right? As stated before, i like to play in silence, so less fans = better.
    • And in reply to your remarks in your post: dude, what's a pressure curve, and what's wrong with mine? :eyebrow:

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  20. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

Regarding fans and pressure curves: Fan specs about cfm are a theoretical measure of how much air is moving past the fan against NO resistance. For example, if you put your hand up to a fan blowing thru a heatsink, you will feel air blowing backwards off the fan. As a general rule, the smaller the fan, the better pressure curve (its a curve because it depends at what rpms), but the lower the cfms (per rpm).

250mm fans have a giant housing but are wicked thin--they have no force behind them (they do not generate any decent pressure). So, for example, if you were to hook up a 250mm fan with a adaptor to a heatsink, this fan would do horribly--despite being rated for such and such cfms, it cannot push any air thru a heatsink.

Now a computer case doesn't generate as much back pressure as a heatsink, but it can generate a significant amount if it is exhaust-starved. If you look at careful reviews of cases with 250mm fans, its not entirely clear that having the big fan on there is a great aid.

Given your layout, I would probably suspect that your best performance will actually be as you currently have it. It would probably be more accurate to think of ventilation thru your case as being dependent on the 2 120mm exhaust fans, with the 250mm being an minor aid to just having an open mesh. Therefore, you should probably keep the 2 120mm exhaust. Reversing the air flow would probably result in worse temps because the cpu is so far away from a fresh air intake. If you wanted to reverse the airflow, you could slip a fresh air intake closer to the motherboard--this would probably result in the best cool:quiet result.

My major point, which I think you understand is: very quiet air cooling does come at the cost of performance.

Generally speaking, in quiet air cooling, the most important element is exhaust. Probably the next important element is proximity of fresh air for the cpu. Trailing last would be intake.

navig