1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage fubbard XP install on a raid partition, how to recover data?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bixie_62, 27 Feb 2010.

1. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

Hi all

I had XP installed on a raid array (3 x 74gb raptors) and for some strange strange reason that xp install has decided to mess up (it just keeps scrolling the blue bar on the loading screen and if i attempt to go into safe mode it just restarts after it gets to giveio.sys)

unless someone knows how to recover from this weird behaviour from xp, how would i recover my data off the partition?

i'm thinking about just removing the three drives as they are, installing xp onto another separate hard drive and then plugging the raid array back in and seeing if that helps but its proving difficult to get xp to boot off the drive which is attached to a via raid controller, the computer doesnt want to boot off the card!

any help is appreciated

cheers

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Is that a RAID0 setup? If so, your data might be hosed by now.

I was going to suggest trying to run the recovery console off the XP installation disc, but then I remembered that you may only be able to stop services. Anyway, perhaps it'll work. You can check if GiveIO.sys is disableable by running the listsvc command. If it is you can disable it with the disable command.

3. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I think starting with a clean install and getting your key data back from your latest backup would be a good starting point.

You do have a backup right?

4. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

If the array is intact and you didn't encrypt files, surely the obvious way would be install XP or live linux and recover the files from a sepperate install.

i.e.
    Stick in another disk, install windows, then copy files over.

If the array is intact, you could probably just install windows over the top and still access the users files.

The only fly in the ointment is....
    If you give users passwords, and then set files to private, this makes it a whole lot harder.

But can be done with a linux disk....
    I did it once, but I don't have a clue how.....