1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FUK (18+ ONLY!) Bad Words!

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by WireFrame, 6 May 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Hmmm. I thought Bit had a swear filter. Admittedly, fuk isn't actually "swearing" in as much as it doesn't spell the word correctly, but this is meant to be a family forum. Actually, I only noticed it because of This Post and the other posts by this delightful young tech'er.
    Pissin seems to have slipped through aswell, as in: Pissin me off.

Actually, this whole thread is a pretty good example. Maybe its him, maybe its the swearfilter. Surely if people are going to swear we should at least let them spell it correctly? I seem to be picking on Henson, which is a shame, but he illustrates my point so.....eloquently.....

2. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Thanks, sorted :)

3. RTT

RTT #parp

*can't think what 3 letter word that was?* - nevermind, got it now - how on earth did i miss the thread title? :D :duh:

(we allow "light/casual" swearing, which is why piss/bloody whatever will pass the swear filter).

4. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

don't think pissing is banned. nor should it be imho :hehe:

(sorry, this post was made after copious quantities of alcoholic beverages.)

5. WireFrame

piss, bloody and crap are all "swearing" in my house.

6. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Just in case you haven't spotted it yet, this thread title is not censored in the Forums list (As Most recently updated) or on the thread list...

7. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Anyone updated their MSN profile lately? It wouldn't let me type "chicken" because it's 'not allowed'. WTF?

8. WireFrame

And quite rightly so. Can't have people talking about chickens without supervision. :naughty:

9. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

In some of my other forumse they used to replace the curse words with flour, instead of ***. It made it rather comical.

10. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

lol, your a flouring flour head....

Theres a limit to how far swearing can go, if its used lightly its not to bad but if its directed at someone it can be quite harsh,

EDIT:
    RTT, you wernt the only who missed the title, i read it as the 4 letter version...

11. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

Ehrm...

So the swearfilter's been altered to exclude the F word when it's spelt without the C present. But when it's spelt this way it is still shown in the tooltip when hovering over the thread:

"Hmmm. I thought Bit had a swear filter. Admittedly, *** isn't actually" does show the three letter F word.

Does this happen for all threads, or is it just because the filter was changed after the thread was created? I don't really want to go creating threads just to check this out, but I thought it was worth pointing out to the mods :)

12. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Looks like the fixed it.

13. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

odd messenger doesnt allow chicken but it allows ****er. odd

14. Ashen

Ashen What's a Dremel?

Im pretty sure it bars "Jesus". Don't ask why I had it in my name. Oh, yeah.

"Jesus loves you but everyone else thinks your a ****". Remove the 4 letter word and it still spat jesus out :(

Edit - Just checked. now they both work :eek:

15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Wow... this gets more interesting. Though I've not yet even had a reason to swear in the forums, I can admit that yes, my computer has gotten the "drunken sailor" treatment. Now, when I saw this, the title was not listed as "***" until I entered and started reading the thread. Weird. Of course, perhaps we could have a sub-Topic discussion in the General forum for "18+ only"? It'd prolly have it's moments, but on the other hand be a bloody pain to moderate at times. What do you think?

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I noticed that the word "sky" was removed from one of my posts... now THAT confused me :hehe:

17. WireFrame

What, a place where the illiterate and malcontent come to swear at each other? Sounds like a laugh. Join [H] ;)
    When I was in the cadets, the commanding officer told me (when I was going for cadre) thatyou should never swear at your men. I asked why. He told me that to swear was to show that you had lost your command of the English language, and if you cannot properly command the language, how could you expect the men to believe you could command THEM?

Now the occasional 'bloody' I can accept. It is fundamentally British (ie 'The bloody French' ;) ) but most people don't count that as 'swearing' anyway. There is almost no need to truly swear in the forums. :thumb:

18. jonesie

jonesie What's a Dremel?

nope, don't see that working, not on a family site. You know very well that kids are drawn to the words '18+' so they'll come read the dubious threads, then get caught at it and banned from the site by their guardians, or something similar.

19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Aye, I'm not even in the UK, and I use Bloody. :D And as for the 18+ thing, I meant a thing where you could only access it if your listed age was over 18 or something. I don't know... I was really tired at the time, and not really thinking. :wallbash:

20. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

hehehe I was drawn to this thread by the swearing and 18+ warning. :D Now I'm disapointed because there is no pr0n, alcohol, or gambling.

andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.