1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fullscreen video commercial

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Picarro, 13 Mar 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

LOL that is amazing! Just clicked through a few pages in an incognito window and well, oh my!

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Got it on opening my 4th or 5th thread this morning. Epic fail is epic. Get rid of that s**t.

3. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Just had it while browsing the forums. Never want to see it again please.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Sorry bit-tech you just got your adblock whitelist removed.

This advert is totally unacceptable and a great way to annoy your readership..

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Funny, I've been reading the site and forums all morning and haven't seen it once.

Does it make a difference I'm on Chrome?

6. longweight

Do you use any form of adblock? I get it on Chrome if I use an incognito window as adblock doesn't run on my incognito windows.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Not had it on mine. On ie8/xp :p

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Nope, no form of ad-block. Just bog standard vanilla Chrome, not incognito or anything like that.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Bog standard Firefox and I've not seen it (yet) either.

Edit: Saw it Lunch time, at least it was easily closed.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2012
  10. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Yeah, I've not seen this yet either - it could possibly be targeted at specific geographical areas.

It's incredibly frustrating that the we have to find out about things like this via a complaint thread on the forum. Sorry guys.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Bunch of locationists!

Ad blocker enabled now. Sorry bit tech money people, I want to support you but until this has gone, I won't be looking at any advertising

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I use vanilla Chrome with no plug-ins and no incognito window, both at work and at home. I have yet to see one of these ads.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have only had it that one single time. Using vanilla Chrome on my desktop.

15. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

i've already done it... I very VERY rarely uses adblock on tech-sites/forums because ads is whats keeps them alive! But this i just to much, bit-tech is no longer in the off list...

16. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I've just started a thread which is likely a duplicate (in my rash anger I didnt check first - in retrospect it was silly of me as this thing has become disgustingly familiar on this website)

Here is my post:

I've just been reading the article about Game and its prospects for the future, when all of a sudden my entire screen changes and became distorted, before falling apart and revealing a bloody eBay logo the size of my screen, and then cutting to a full screen video!

'Oh well, I obviously was bored with reading your article and wanted to look at some mindless, poorly directed advertising instead.' (Closes website and visits a competitor instead).

What the hell is this all about? I thought Bit-Tech was changing for the better? Don't tell me that a decision like this was taken with the blessing of the Bit-Tech readership???? There's lots of rhetoric about the new Captains in charge and listening to the input of the readers, and whilst its acknowledged that there will be advertising, we are consistently told this advertsiing is measured and in a non-obtrusive manner. This is all complete nonsense however as the methods of advertising increasingly become more and more intrusive over the past 12 months.

Would someone from Bit-Tech please explain this advertising, please?

What gets me is the people who make up Bit-tech's editorial staff know nothing of these advertising pirates. I find this completely unacceptable and that it demonstrates a shocking lack of potency by the management that the people who formulate the content of the website have no knowledge or control over the actual form of the website.
    Yet again the Bit-Tech readership is raped in the name of advertising, the excellent writers for bit-tech are made to look stupid, and those truly accountable for this are not within sight. I don't suppose Bit-Techs new editor would like to comment?

17. longweight

I would imagine that the advertising strategy has nothing to do with anyone on the bit-tech staff and is run by a Dennis marketing group that covers all of their websites and publications.

18. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

This is true, but it is a little galling when we complain en masse regarding these adverts and the bit-tech staff al say they know nothing, and the advertising departments are conspicuous by their complete lack of communication. I know they like to say we are listened to, but clearly the readers arent on this issue. I've been enjoying the content of Bit-Tech since the last change. I like the site again, but if my reading of an article is going to be compeltely interrupted by this method of advertising even a couple of times, I will take my clicks elsewhere. I dont think it's too much to ask - I dont use adblocker or anything because i do actually want to support bit-tech and recognise it needs a commercial element, but the day that that commercial element stops people reading the actual articles is the final nail in the coffin for me.

19. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Reading the character design article at the moment. Very interesting stuff then BANG!!! EBAY scrolling down my screen. Didn't finish the article. Headed to another tech site. A sad day indeed.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I haven't seen it yet, either at home or at work. At work I'm forced to use IE6 but at home I use Chrome with bit-tech whitelisted in AdBlock Plus. I don't really mind advertising as long as it does not intrude upon the content. I've learned to live with the skimlinks stuff - restricted to articles on the main site only - but I won't live with full-screen adverts. The ad blocker will go back up if I start to see this advert.

As for the bra advert I just saw in work however, that's a subject for a thread I'm about to start...