1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fullscreen video commercial

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Picarro, 13 Mar 2012.

1. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

I also got it today, first time onto the site today, following a twitter link for the Game article.

Using Chrome.

2. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I am STILL getting this advert EVERYTIME I VISIT THE SITE on either of my PCs.

Clearly either Simon is lying to us that it is fixed, or someone is lying to Simon, who is then feeding this lie to us. Firstly it was said that the ad campaign was being pulled, then it's reinstated, but with the news that the endless repeats of it would be stopped. Well, that hasn't been the case at any point, and frankly I find that I can no longer trust anything that comes from the editorial of Bit-Tech or Dennis. Give me ONE just ONE reason why I should???

3. greypilgers

PM to Simon - let's see if we get yet another "it's been fixed now, we promise!"

Hi Simon,

The wonderful full screen advert that was pulled, then reinstated, then apparently corrected to stop endless repeating, is, yes, you guessed it - STILL REPEATING.

I'd like to know why the people in charge of Bit-Tech don't just stand up and be honest that this is designed this way and this is the way the website is going to run. There have been three spearate promises over the past week that the issue of repeating ads had been stopped, and yet it has at no point been fixed at all. It leads me to think that it will not be fixed because it isnt actually broken...

More than the inconvenience of an advert that stops me reading the content of your site, I feel offended by the repeated assurances that an issue has been fixed only for this to be abundantly clear that it is not. It's not a very good example of managing your customer's expectations.

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

When, next year?

Are you lying to us or is someone lying to you and you're simply passing on the lie?

Erm, it's still happening...

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm not running any adblockers and I haven't see this ad, at work or at home.

Let me be clear - that was not an invitation for some tw@t to send it my way - I'm just pointing out that not all of us are getting bombarded by it.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Yep. Everyday. Just started reading the USB 3 article when it appeared. Very distracting.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

DISCLAIMER: I'm a freelance writer, and though I do work for Dennis Publishing on Bit-Tech, ExpertReviews and the Custom PC magazine, I'm not an employee nor do I work in the offices. As a result, the following is mere conjecture on my part and not an official statement from or on behalf of Dennis. It's guesswork, nothing more - I have no better idea what's going on or how the advert works than any of you.

With that out of the way: I'm guessing the advert uses cookies to detect whether it's been viewed or not. Those of you who are seeing the advert multiple times: can you check to see if your browser is configured to allow third-party cookies, and try clearing all your cookies before reloading the site? If I'm right, the repeating advert may simply be down to a configuration issue.

8. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

We've already been told:

I'm guessing it's nothing to do with cookies.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But some people *aren't* having it repeat on them. I'm trying to remove the guesswork from the equation. Like I say, it may not be cookies at all. Unless and until someone who's having it repeat on them tries enabling third-party cookies and clearing existing cookies, we won't know.

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That should have nothing to do with the advert, I am not going to change my system settings to allow an advert to run.

11. greypilgers

I think it's definitely worth investigating all methods to find the right solution, but if being able to read BitTech's articles means being forced to enable third party cookies, I'm not really very comfortable with that. I don't have to do it on other websites.

12. Gareth Halfacree

I think people are misunderstanding what I'm saying: I'm not saying you should permanently enable third-parties cookies. What I'm trying to do is see if enabling third-party cookies causes the advert to work in its intended manner by only playing once for each unique user.

If enabling third-party cookies *does* 'fix' the advert, we (and by 'we' I mean 'we users' - again, I'm not a Dennis employee so my word carries no more weight than any other reader's) can turn around to Dennis and say categorically "Here's why the advert is broken, and here are the reasons why the advert as it currently tracks users will not work for the vast majority of your readers. Additionally, here are the various reasons and security concerns why we - quite reasonably - refuse to enable third-party cookies."

Armed with that, Dennis can look at other solutions to the problem - ones which work with the end user's needs in mind.

I'd do the test myself, but for some reason I haven't seen the advert in question even once.

Shirty, greypilgers and David like this.
  13. greypilgers

Hear, hear! +1 to you, my good man! :thumb:

14. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

I don't normally come to the forums but it annoyed me enough to find this thread. Bit-Tech, sort it out.

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it's extremely annoying to start reading something and then an advert pops up full screen, the best solution for everyone, is to not have the full screen advert, banners and background adverts fine, but full screen get f****d, even if it is only supposed to be once a day or whatever

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Not quite silent as I'm posting this, but I just got it again so the site can have a few days of no revenue from me.

If it helps, I am using Chrome 17.0.963.79 and I do allow third party cookies. I am more than happy to answer provide further information about my browser config if it helps to rectify this issue.

Kudos and rep to Gareth for being constructive though, it's the best way.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i've only seen the advert twice, but both times it pissed me off.

you might want to convey to management that your users are not happy with a full screen advert full stop.

18. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Had the advert three times now. Bit-tech is no longer on my ABP whitelist.

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

New record, came on, the first thing I click on, I didn't even read the first 3 word and BAM!!! Ebay in my face again!!!!!!

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

What browsers do you guys use ? I had this ad just once, few minutes before this thread was even started. Nothing since. Do you guys have anything common ? Same browser ? Maybe some "privacy addon" ?