1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics *fumes* Microsoft trying to mess up my netbook's OpenGL!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trekkypj, 27 Mar 2011.

1. trekkypj

trekkypj Forward Momentum!!!

Hey all,

I've noticed something on my Eee PC 1201T which is annoying and perhaps a little sinister. It's the one with the AMD processor and ATI Radeon HD3200 chipset.

I updated to SP1 recently and ever since my OpenGL has been fubared. Defcon and Darwinia running at 1fps.

I ran a program called OpenGL Extensions Viewer 3.0 and it was showing that the default MS driver was only using OpenGL 1.1. So basically, no use for games using OpenGL.

I removed the MS driver in its entirety and installed ATI's 11.2 over it. Fixed the problem (at least temporarily) so that I had OpenGL 3.6 compatibility. Not the latest but good enough considering the hardware.

However, now I keep getting Microsoft Update pop-ups telling me I have an important update to install - you guessed it - a 2009 dated driver from Microsoft.

The first time, I let it install, and hey presto! Back to OpenGL 1.1. :wallbash:

I uninstalled it again, and ever since Microsoft Update is screaming at me to install *their* driver.

I have the official AMD drivers installed.
    I have it the way I want it.
    Why is Microsoft so intent on hobbling my OpenGL performance on the netbook which is only using it for the likes of Darwinia and Defcon?

Why is Microsoft messing with this?

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Right-click the update, Hide. Problem sorted.

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The problem isn't directly Microsoft, it's that they haven't been provided with the latest driver by AMD to post onto Windows Update. Drivers are never selected for installation by default, so you shouldn't have a problem with them automatically installing. Just ignore it, or hide it.

4. trekkypj

trekkypj Forward Momentum!!!

Done. Cheers for the advice.

I just don't understand why OpenGL is so badly crippled with that driver. I mean it seems fairly silly to have a driver on Windows Update that doesn't support anything more than OpenGL 1.1. And I wonder at Microsoft's role in this. They have DirectX which they push for games development and I dare say they won't shed any tears if OpenGL dies a death.

I know AMD have this issue with laptop manufacturers not wanting AMD to allow their driver releases to update the drivers for netbooks and laptops; making their tech support easier (something which I personally think is silly but again not down to AMD).

But really? OpenGL 1.1?

That's stone age. And I really like my Darwinia and my Defcon so not best pleased at having to mess with the drivers to fix it.

Ah well, rant over. It's sorted for now.