1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Fun car suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by NiHiLiST, 6 Jan 2006.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

It's a while away yet, but later this year (around Septemberish) I'll be looking at getting a new car. I'm currently driving an S reg 1.2 Clio which is fine and dandy, but I'm looking for something with a bit more "oomph".

I can only justify a group 12 or 13 on insurance at the most really (I'm only 20 and had a typical young-male-new-driver-crash).

Looked at a few cars that are appealing, so I'm just looking for suggestions and advice really :) If I go for a new car I'm looking at about £12,000 tops, probably half that for a second hand car. I expect I'll go second hand and spend a bit on some subtle engine/brakes/suspension mods.

Here are a few cars I've been looking at:
    • Suzuki Cappuccino
    • Skoda Fabia vRS
    • Renault Clio Williams

I want either something very light and nippy, or something like the Fabia vRS that can punch above it's class in terms of power. It has to be fun, at least slightly uncommon and preferably moddable.

May as well have my fun while I'm young and can afford it hey :D

Edit: Almost forgot... I'd like something I could do the odd track day with. Maybe even a few years down the line I may get a more sensible daily driver and strip this car out, rollcage in etc? Just a thought :cooldude:

2. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

civic esi (125bhp n/a)
    106 gti
    106 rallye
    306 xsi
    saxo vts
    205 gti
    Corolla gti
    Punto gt turbo
    Renault 5 gt turbo
    Corolla ae86 for the rwd fun can be phenomnial track cars and rev forever have a good engine note too :hip:

Yes some are group 14 but they are damn worth it ! :rock: :hehe:

3. NiHiLiST

Thanks for the suggestions uldis :D

Civics are a bit too popular for me, want something a bit different really. Same with the Saxo.

I've looked at the 205 GTI and they're very tasty :D Anyone know how much an MI16 engine conversion would be? ;) Also looked at the AE86 (yeah, I watch Initial D), not a massively appealing car to me.

The others I've not looked at, so I'll go and have a browse around the net and see which make my petrol glands start throbbing ;)

4. NiHiLiST

106 Rallye looks nice... :baby:

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

MX-5 1.8i is a hell of a lot of fun at legal speeds and insurance-wise something stupidly low like group 12. You might see a few about but that is because it is such a good car. RWD goodness which is very, very trackable.

Or if you want something silly fast and loads of fun, spend 3-4K on an mk2 or mk3 mr2 turbo (225bhp and 245bhp respectively) and spend the rest on insurance (gp20!). Or have a look at fiat 20V turbos. Very fast.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2006
  6. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

fab little cars as standard handling wise and 100bhp out of a 1.3 aint bad and there light as fook :thumb:

warning about the fiat 20v turbo cambelt change is engine out jobbie :jawdrop:

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

So is the mr2, but one every 50,000 miles isn't going to hurt. I would worry more about mpg and tyres.

8. NiHiLiST

I have thought about an MX-5 and it's quite appealing, the only real thing that bothers me is having a soft-top. Would be a pain to make sure I never left anything half-valuable in the car. Not written off as an idea though ;)

An MR2 Turbo would be lovely, but like you say, the insurance would be crazy. I think I'd struggle to even get insured at all. What are the Fiat Coupe 20V Turbos like for insurance?

Thanks for the suggestions :D

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

20v turbo is group 19 I think. Very similar performance to the mr2 tubby.

Get some insurance quotes. Try Adrian Flux, Sky, Hyperformance. Tell them you are a member of the mr2 owners club for a discount. www.mr2oc.co.uk. Having a low annual mileage helps. also try adding a female as a named driver. Your mum or girlfriend or whatever..

10. NiHiLiST

Thanks for the tips mushky, never thought that adding a named driver could reduce the premium!

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It can drop it quite a lot but it can't just be someone you know. Usually it needs to be a "family member" of some sort. It won't add to your premium so it's worth a try, but ask them to quote both with and without them on.

edit.. mr2 turbo mr2 turbo :)

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Renault Clio Cup182. Amazing car to drive, brilliant handling etc, probably one of the best FWD cars out there - especially with Bi-Xenon's on it.

13. ChriX

ChriX ^

Get one with the conversion already done, much cheaper. :p

What about the new shape 200bhp Clio that is due out this year? They have stuck a diffuser on the back, looks quite funky. That can't be too much more than 12k new. Linky. Not sure where I got 200bhp from, probably a magazine...

14. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

One thing i will say is get a RWD car!!!

Ive driven many and RWD is what makes the differance when it comes to having fun in a car. theres plenty of FWD hot hatches out there that have a reputation as being fun cars to drive (and rightly so in comparson to some other FWD) but they just dont compare

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/xenon.htm

Spot on!

ninja mushky edit: mr2 turbo mr2 turbo

16. NiHiLiST

I like your thinking ;) *slaps forehead*

That would be nice, but judging by previous Clio sports models it will probably be more like £15k+. £12k is really at the upper end of my budget.

Rear wheel drive would be nice, but I'm not overly bothered either way really. I'll no doubt drive a RWD car at some point :)

I've looked into the Suzuki Cappuccino the most (wanted one for years). Can pick up one in good condition for £2500-3000. They're meant to be awesome fun and round a tight track it'll keep up with an Elise. Also possible to fit a nice bike engine in place of the standard 670cc turbo lump. They're front engined, rear wheel drive, stunning levels of grip and a kerb weight of 725kg.

The downsides of course are if I had a crash I'd burst like a grape, and it's about as practical as a condom machine in the Vatican if you need to actually transport anything other than yourself, a passenger and maybe a small sandwich.

17. Krikkit

The difference between joe public and us is, we would all use the appropriate dipping settings, so you shouldn't get too much retina burning, even at reasonably close range.

Either that or manufacturers should start fitting both normal and Xenon bulbs to cars - normals for motorways, Xenon's for actually driving in the dark.

18. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Cambelt changes on a mr2 turbo is not an engine out job atall. If any garage tells you otherwise it's because they are trying to rip you off or don't know the car atall. In both cases walk away :D

19. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Get the suzuki. I've only seen two different ones round here. And I can't fault them.
    And if theres not enough power for you, it won't be too hard to change ;)

20. Krikkit

And no offence, but they look ridiculous. They look like someone took an MX5 and put it on a high-temperature wash... :p

Tags: