1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Further Maths Difficulty

Discussion in 'General' started by Olivier, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Olivier

Olivier What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I've recently just started my A2 year (U6/Yr13) and I'm kind of in a dilemma as to whether I should continue with A2 further maths or take the easier option of AS Further Maths. My AS module results produced a low A overall in Mathematics and I've heard many a rumour about FP2's insane difficulty. I was wondering if you guys could give me some guidance, for example:
    1. Is FP2 as difficult as it's made out to be?
    2. Has doing further maths made first year uni noticeably easier? if so in what courses and at what unis?
    3. Would I get much recognition for AS further maths considering I'm applying to read physics at Oxford, Southampton, Durham, Manchester and UCL?

Thanks for your opinions and advice,

Olivier

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Odd, since the Fmaths guys over here do FP1 and then FP3.
    I've heard it's difficult (today in fact). But, physics doesn't need further maths, and I believe a lot of the first year is spent getting people up to scratch with their maths.
    You'll have to make your own decision I'm afraid.

3. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

You won't NEED it, but you'll probably have to learn some of the stuff in your first year of uni. Southampton is awesome, good choice (although don't know what it's like for physics). It might help your application to have further maths - something to consider is that I took A2 further maths and when I got my offer of ABB from southampton I just dropped it and concentrated on my other 2 A-levels (I already had an A in A2 Maths) - it meant I had tonnes of free periods and could concentrate on my other two subjects (physics and computing).

AH

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Its cant hurt to have, its probably only essential if applying to oxford. Oxford are rather elitist and although they dont ask for it you can be sure that the people who have applied would have taken it so you'll be at a disadvantage if you dont. Anywhere else though I wouldnt bother, all the uni's dont ask for FP1 maths nevermind FP2. FP2 is a hard module if you dont take your time with it (though I suppose depending on the subject the same could be said about anything) but if your smart enough to do FP1 then you can do FP2, But if I was you i'd be asking myself if its really worth putting all the extra time into a module I dont really need when I could be spending that time revising my other subjects?

I did FP when I was at college and tbh it hasnt made any difference at uni, most of the first year was spent getting everyone up to the same level which included alot of teh further pure stuff, so it was kinda like revision all year. This is electronic systems engineering at manchester, i've got a mate doing physics at the same uni and he says its pretty similar with him.

Whatever you choose though, good luck!

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Although most universities don't explicitly specify a need for Further Maths, the admissions tutors will probably take note of it. The stuff in FP1 almost certainly will come in handy in the first year of science and engineering degrees.

I only did AS Further Maths and I haven't started my course yet (E&EE at Imperial) but I had a quick look through some of the textbooks and a lot of the initial stuff is just relearning FP1 & 2.

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Well I'm kind of in a simlar situation having done A2 maths in one year with the veiw of doing further A2 the next year. The problem was I didn't get very good marks in any of the pure moduals and came out with an overall C. Because of this I switched to As further and the normal A2 class for my seocnd year and am doing some resits. Fp2 is ment to be very tricky, freinds of mine who did it and are awsome at maths (95+ ums on alll other modulals) found it hard. Fp1 I have done abit of and it's quite easy and has usefull maths like complex numbers which will be used at uni. Unless you plan on doing a maths degree or some physics degrees at cambridge don't do the A2 further as it will all be covered at uni. As further isn't much extra work (think its Fp1 and D2/M2/S2).

7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

What have you taken already? Which modules have you already done, and which are part of the course for AS/A2 further maths?

8. Olivier

Olivier What's a Dremel?

I've done C1, C2, C3, M1, S1 and S2. In January I'll be taking C4, FP1, S3 and M2. For AS further maths I need all those mentioned apart from S3. So I was thinking that I could do just the AS F. Maths and have it all finished by January (probably dropping S3), meaning I could concentrate on solely physics and French in the summer. A2 further maths however, consists of all those mentioned plus FP2 and another applied module, most probably D1. If i really knuckled down i could try the full A2, but I don't want it to jeopardize my other grades.

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

D1 is pretty easy, why don't you ask for an FP2 book to look through and see what it entails. I haven't started it yet, so I can't help you with that.

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Stick at it. I did triple maths, and in my mocks my grades came to A, B and E but in the real thing I got AAA. It's all really hard to start with, but if you practice doing questions it all gets easier.
    So to answer your questions:
    1. I found it pretty easy after doing lots of practice papers.
    2. I haven't started yet, but I can do the questions Oxford sent me to do without much effort.
    3. For Oxford you should really have the AS further maths as standard, the A2 is a bonus. The other unis won't care too much.

Only quit if you really really hate it and your teachers are sure that you're not going to get an A if you carry on with it.

Tags: