1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Fusion [Final Pics]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 15 Feb 2019.

1. DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤

DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ Well-Known Member

Lookin good ! getting me even more "cured " :rock: :naughty:

2. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Active Member

To continue on with the assembly, now that I knew how tall the case would end up, I could cut the legs for the tray to get the exact height I wanted, and then some tint and shellac to match them and the feet up with the rest of the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While those were drying, I decided to tackle the front I/O panel...about 3 different ways. I stripped and sanded the original color off the plastic trim piece, tried a few different colors and materials that didn't really look good. That left me with a bit of a problem, I'd killed the gloss on the front side of the trim piece and had to address that as well. So after sanding both sides down, I decided to stop trying to find something that complimented the colors of the build and went with a cobalt blue for the color on the I/O panel.

[​IMG]

And since the front needed to be dealt with as well, I thought it would be cool if I could have it be black until the system was on and then the blue glowed through. To do this, I hit the front with a mix of black and a black pearl.

[​IMG]

I like the effect, but it'll need some tuning down the road.

[​IMG]

Also before I could assemble anything, I had to pull the block of my 1080Ti and put the blower back on it. No 2080Ti for me right now.

[​IMG]

Assembly was fun, it started with laying all the cables out since they ran under the MB. I wanted to see how the stock Silverstone cables looked since I'm trying to get away from sleeving and this is a more toned down build anyways. If it makes life easier then great.

[​IMG]

And since I didn't want to spend hours rewiring everything, there was a lot of bundling things up to keep it clean on the outside.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the GPU wires were ghastly and I had to break down and make some cables. I went with gray to match the tray and bring in some contrast to all the black of the hardware. I only tackled the MB, CPU, and GPU cables since everything else worked alright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That turned out a lot cleaner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, those are cable ties...I don't want to hear it. I want tight and clean, not bulky wide strands of cable to deal with.

And after sliding the tray into the shell, I have to say, using the 2080Ti for the GPU cutout worked brilliantly. Frames the 1080Ti perfectly.

[​IMG]

Now just waiting on that cooler...

Thanks for following along!

3. InsolentGnome

From the front, I'm liking how this is looking.

[​IMG]

And my cooler finally showed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got my original Cross just because of the way it looked, but it was actually super quiet as well. Perfect for this build with it sitting open right next to me. And how many coolers have you gotten that have a nice screwdriver included???

[​IMG]

And seated in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mostly done, but I've been playing Anthem on a 1070 and have chugging episodes, so I really wanted to try the game out on my normal system so...

[​IMG]

Hey, it works! But I'm not liking that logo spot on the front panel, I really need to do something with it. It needs a logo number one, but it's also got spots that either I scratched putting it together or didn't have a good enough coat of paint on shining through. I thought about hitting it with some more paint, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get it as even as I wanted it so I decided to flip the idea of a dark logo on the blue background and used black vinyl to black out the panel, leaving a logo to show through in the blue.

[​IMG]

Yep, that was definitely the right call.

[​IMG]

I think that's about it except for a little touch-up here and there and then finals. Thanks for following along!

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

No fitted faceplate shenanigans? That's the downside of minimalist builds; they only take a week. :(

5. InsolentGnome

And I was in a rush to get it back up and running so it got fast tracked. The I/O being so wide kind of shut down any ideas I had for adding to the front. I was thinking some vertical pieces, but they would have blocked ports that I'm kind of excited to have. This will be the first time my main rig has front I/O in over 2 years.

6. InsolentGnome

Now for the finals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along!

Cheapskate likes this.
  7. DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤

DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ Well-Known Member

I'm 100% Cured now!

Looks more like modern art than a pc or a "fusion" of the two :D

As always mate original clean and pro finish :rock::rock::rock:

8. InsolentGnome

Well that's good! LOL!

Thanks! Yeah, I feel myself slipping into a artsy/furniture-y style for the moment. The 9' slab of walnut in my basement might confirm that.

9. storm-83

storm-83 Member

Please look into the "MORPHEUS II CORE EDITION"!
    Like the rug in The Big Lebowski, that cooler would really tie the whole thing together

Otherwise, you have my vote for MOTM - and congrats on the nomination

10. InsolentGnome

Thanks!

Ah yeah, I've seen that cooler and it's sick! That would really look good with the rest of the build and be quieter than the stock blower on my card. Thanks for the idea!