1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Future upgradeable new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jopers1986, 8 Dec 2013.

1. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Evening fello techers.

So the time has come where i will finally build MYSELF a new machine but i have a few questions and would appreciate some advice. As you can see from my Sig, i'm a little out of date and have spent the past few years running off my Phone, work laptop, GFs ipad and consoles.

My issue is i want a decent machine, and budget isn't great now. So i'm looking at getting something basic now that in a few months i can plug some more in and do a bit more with.

So, as per the sticky, below is the template:

Budget: ~£600

Main uses of intended build: Primarily general usage, moving to gaming and overclocking at a later date. I've missing overclocking and benchmarking so want to get back into it.

Parts required: Pretty much everything.

Previous build information (list details of parts): None - So may have a Lian-Li V1000 up for sale if anyone's interested :p

Monitor resolution: not important at the mo, will be getting a new Monitor next year with some upgrades i want to do to this machine

Storage requirements: Not much, storage is networked

Will you be overclocking: yes - eventually

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): nothing really, but want to go m-itx

This is what i have lined myself up for:

CPU: i5 4670K Haswell
    Mobo: MSI H87i
    RAM: Corsair Vengance 8gb 2133mhz
    PSU: Corsair 430CXM modular hybrid
    SSD: 128gb SanDisk Pulse
    Cooling: Corsair H80i
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy

Not GFX at the moment, but put one in later....

So what do you all think?

Thanks for the help, as always, appreciated!!!

Rich

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 #noob

What kind of games do you want to play? will help with the spec :)

3. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Half-Life 3....? COME ON VALVE!!!
    Battlefield 1945 (classic, viva la VEG clan)

but seriously:
    Battlefield 4
    Assassins Creed 4
    COD: Ghosts

Varied tbh, get me away from the xbox and PS3!

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Well-Known Member

If your looking to overclock eventually, you'll want to get a Z87 based motherboard as they are the only ones that can overclock. I would also suggest going for a 500 or more watt power supply to make sure you have room to expand at a later date and also going for a Samsung 840 Evo SSD rather than the SanDisk if your budget allows.

5. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Will investigate more power, was going off the buyers guide saying that 530w thermaltake was enough to power the system twice over.

Would you notice much performance difference in the SSDs? Already at my budget limit really.

Another toss up was going down to the i3 but not sure about this!

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member

Last edited: 9 Dec 2013
  7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'd be minded to avoid the MSI z87 board for now, having read a few stories of them being a bit sub-par (stories both on here and elsewhere).

Haswell stuff more energy efficient than AMD, but it's all down to budget. I'd probably go for the best Haswell budget allows for now and add a GPU later, but that's just me. I'm also thinking futureproofing :)

8. MSHunter

Fair point I tend towords Asus or gigabyte myself for Mainboards. The difference in energy efficiency is not large enough to present a significant savings, not even enough to pay for the price difference. Also highly multi core CPUs deal better with live streaming. Don't get me wrong I like intel but not for a budget under £1k and even then it depends on what you want to do. Gaming there is no difference but if you plan to play a lot of old games that are CPU intensive (like crysis 1 then you may find you get more FPS on the ultra high settings with intel as they perform better clock for clock. If you tend to do a lot of difference things at once then the more cores the better.

9. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

AH ok, thought that looked fairly sound for the price, how am i to believe any Bit-Tech article going forward... (recommended on the buyers guide!)

This has thrown up all sorts for questions, i was fairly set on Intel, it's what i know now. What are the pros and cons? the i5 is only about £30 more than the AMD...
    I also what to do m-itx and the BitFenix, really like that case!

Multi-tasking won't be to much of an issue, i have a fairly poor attention span so if i start a long job going on the machine i'll probably walk off and look at something shiny...!

10. MSHunter

the -M version of the bitfenix is m-ATX compatible, just saying ;)

its a question of what you want to pay for, either way when gaming you wont notice a difference atm and the future is unclear. At this point it may swing in AMDs favor if MS and AMD pull a finger out and do better thread management and multi-threading. Otherwise is much of a muchness. the performance differences are so small I will not update my rig (see sig for a few years to come)

11. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

haha very true, not seen the m-ATX version before now. SO more research to be done now then!

12. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

So looking at these reviews, the i5 seems to out perform the FX-8350 in all cases?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/4
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/5

Also do the AMDs run a lot hotter? Was looking at putting an H80i in there, been way to long since i did some proper watercooling to do a custom loop...!

What do people think of the below itx mobos? (broken record?)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...ta-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-(vga)-dvi-d-hdmi-
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...i-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-dvi-i-hdmi-mini-itx

Lastly for now... 4gb or 8gb RAM? read somewhere that 8gb going forward is recomended?

13. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Typically, i have been dim! getting the MSI H87 and the Z87i mixed up!

Think i'm def going the i5 route, so if i want to overclock eventually, i would need a K series CPU and z sersies chipset correct?

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Well-Known Member

Yep :)

15. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Cheers, can someone link some reviews of the z87i with these problems? everywhere i read says it's great value for the money and a great board...!

16. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

OK, another idea...:

A10 6800K on a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN mobo? (i really want to go m-itx, so throwing up other ideas...)

17. MSHunter

From what or Asus rep (Bindi) says OCing on a itx AMD board is not stable as they do not have enough cooling, something about the power regulators being to close together and melting. Thats why even with the Intel Z board Asus have a daughterboard with all the extras to be able to support a stable OC.

18. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Melting? Wow, ok fair enough then.

How would that AMD pairing compare to an i5 similar type where i didn't do any overclocking?

Thinking about it, with all best intentions, am i really going to get stuck in? probably now :(

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The 6800k will be less powerful than the i5, there's no doubt about that (then again it's cheaper).

Should clock fairly well, I've got a 760k (the same cpu as the 6800k , just without the gpu bit) and I'm currently runing at 4.4 although want to play with it more since I want 4.5+ for daily.

I'm using the 85X version of that board, it's really nice, although I can't compare it to others I'm afraid, clocking seems pretty good on it.

I recently downgraded from an i7 2600 (xeon equivalent) to it and I'm finding it fine so far :)

20. MSHunter

to be completely honest for ITX board intel is where its at at the moment, due mainly to the fact that they need less power and produce less heat which makes it far easier to build with components so close together.