1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ]KahppA[

]KahppA[ What's a Dremel?

Amazing job G-gnome!!! :rock: :rock:

I just love the green plexi!!! :jawdrop:

Keep up the good job!!! :thumb:

2. ]DL[JimmyJazz

]DL[JimmyJazz What's a Dremel?

I'm one of the thousands who found this via the [H]ard|OCP post. I'm a regular fan now, though, coming back every few days to look for updates. I've also read most of the other recent project logs. It's all great stuff. That said, I feel like a butthead for daring to offer constructive criticism, but I hope you'll find an objective outside opinion to be useful, given how close you are to your own project. I figure it might be difficult to step back and take a fresh look.

For any other modder, your shrinkwrap work on the back of the front panel switches would be a study in how it's done. Given the extraordinary bar-raising you've done, though, I'm holding you to a higher standard. :D I'll go out on a limb and say that this is the weakest (very relative term, hehe) aspect of your case so far. I do not think that exposed shrink wrap can compare to the chromed junction box, shower hose and other cable ends that you've fabricated, no matter how well executed.

[​IMG]

Given the way that you've approached the rest of your case, I would've expected to see another rectangular chrome box with radiused corners and jacks instead of this. I'd also argue, though, that one could begin to go overkill on that theme. I see the threaded backs of the switch bosses and I envision something like, say, chromed film canisters over each the back of each switch with one or two female jacks in the tail of each, and corresponding male plugs on each cable. I have little or no electronics experience, so perhaps you can't jack these for impedance reasons or whatnot. Even if you cannot, you could have the cables gracefully penetrate the "film canisters" with those nice grommets that you fabricate. These ideas assume that the lid is left on the canister, as you'd need both ends of the cylinder in place. Alternatively, one could ditch the lids. Drill the bottom of the film canisters such that they'll thread onto the switch bosses, and leave the open end of the canisters to abutt the acrylic angle bracket that you fabricated, with an O-ring glued to the canister lip to prevent chafing the acrylic, like so:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't have a large enough round black O-ring to use, so I subbed in the flat grey one, but it serves well enough for illustrative purposes. This idea makes a pretty huge assumption about the distance between the front panel and the acrylic angle bracket. The calipers say that the film canister is 49.5mm long, 30.5mm wide on the inside ~31.2mm wide on the outside, and 33.5mm wide on the outside of the lip at the open end. Who knows if the shrinkwrapped electronics would even fit inside? Or what the distance between switches is, centre-to-centre?

I've really enjoyed following your project. It's truly a thing of beauty. I'm dying to see what you have planned for the motherboard. :thumb:

-Jim "]DL[JimmyJazz" Jones

Last edited: 14 Sep 2003
  3. rodaniel

rodaniel What's a Dremel?

As much as I am awed by this creation, I have to agree with Jimmy. While this is very clean looking, a creative solution to a tricky problem, and skillfully executed...

[​IMG]

... the black shrinkwrap does sorta stick out like a sore thumb. If I may be so bold - and yet at the same time humbled - I'd say that these connections are not up to par with the others that we've seen thusfar. The various chromed connectors used elsewhere in this case are just so much more... MORE. :eyebrow:

That said, G-Nome, I hope that you'll feel flattered by knowing that I'm using one of your power junnction box photos as my wallpaper. I love the chrome / green / acrylic color scheme!!

4. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hey Jim, thanks for the comments and posting your idea. It's actually a pretty good one and to be honest I simply didn't think of something like this :duh: . Props to you dude. The flexible plastic of a film can would be next to impossible to chrome though as any flex would crack the chrome - however, along those lines a metal tube would work well :idea: - even if I just left both ends open and fixed it to the green plexi back cover so the backs of the switches could fit inside? You have to look closely at how I cut the front panel, etc - with the switches fixed to the front bezel I had to come up with a way of fixing things so I could still remove the front without difficulty.

Personally I quite like the look of the switches as they are now - especially when the front is on and the backs are fairly unobtrusive under all that green plexi and match all the black rubber surrounds on LED holders, hoses and the rubber on the bolts holding the switch back cover in place. They fit with my 'Retro SciFi' theme (check the inspiration 'Orac' pic in the original proj log for a really messy wiring job :lol: ) and will fit with some of the other things I have planned for the case. I'll leave them as they are now but, now that I see how they might be improved a bit, I'll start looking around for suitable metal tubes (chrome) and see what things might look like following your suggestion.:)

You are right in that it could be overkill and also that it is difficult to step back and take a fresh look, posts like yours keep my feet on the ground and help me take that step back - cheers!

Thanks for the idea and your interest in the Proj. Heh, I'll have to stay on top of my game and keep the standard up! :D

Edit - Likewise Rodaniel - cheers for the comment :)

5. morphos

morphos What's a Dremel?

It would be awesome if, at the end of the project, G-gnome took nice res pictures, ...maybe greater than 1024x768 to use for that very purpose. I think we can all admit that even if we aren't (looks around nervously) that there are rabid fans of this mod, (fine, I admit it, I'm one of them!) and those fans would appreciate generously proportioned eye-candy.

6. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi DETN8R :)

I mentioned in the intro to the first part of the project log the folks who have inspired me and have mentioned specific ideas as I have gone along (e.g. the black reflective faceplate to my VFD from Macro Black). I plan on doing Zapwizard's lighted DVD mod exactly as he did it though I will also be including a 'disc in' light(s) (this is also in the comments, etc from the original thread). I have also mentioned in both the threads to date any other ideas I have gotten from folks (such as scopedog and Nexxos PiThon clamps) - so they have all been noted already. There aren't actually all that many when I look back - most being specific electronics techniques (as I have limited knowledge of circuits and so on, though I'm trying to learn more). As for the actual design ideas and the whole look of the case - that's all mine (with some input from the BBC's ORAC :) ). I have made an effort to try and make it unique and a bit different to mods I have seen before.

Being new to the modding scene - I saw my first modded computer (in RL or Pics) here on BiT-Tech less than 6 months ago (more like 5) I have only hung out here or Mod-the-box with a couple of looks at Metku Mods. I think this lack of exposure to the modding scene has helped me stay fresh and come up with ideas without many influences. Macro Black is probably the single project that inspired me the most - though I think my project is a lot different.

I take great pains to credit any specific ideas or techniques where they occur. Heh, I do somehow manage to come up with original ideas sometimes (even if only original to me because I haven't seen them before). If someone gets on and posts " I saw that done ... (insert proj or site) ..." well, all I can say is I haven't seen it, otherwise it would be acknowledged. I have no doubt (and it's been said by far more experienced modders than me) that pretty much anything anyone comes up with in modding has likely been done sometime in the past or in some variation - whether we are personally aware of it or not. I try to be original, and if using an idea of someone elses, try to at least put my own stamp or variation on it to make it unique (Zap's backlit DVD mod being the exception as I'm not game to mess about with the PCB in my DVD too much!) whilst giving full credit to where I got the idea.

I hope I haven't misinterpreted your question. Please accept my sincere apologies if I have done so :worried: . I don't mean what I have written to come across as a 'smack-down' or anything, Just want to clear up where my ideas and inspiration come from - mostly my own head and love of old scifi - or from whoever I have been crediting in the log to date. I guess I also get a bit short sometimes when I pour so many, many hours of precious modding time into writing up my project log and many people just look at the pics then ask questions the answers to which are in the log - I'm not picking on you or anything DETN8R as I know you do read the logs, you must have just missed that part (the first few para's of the original log explain everything :) ).

I see 'ideas' as specific techniques etc (i.e. copying what someone has done whether varying it from the original or not) and 'inspiration' as simply seeing what is possible and being motivated to go out and push yourself harder. I hope I have both given 'ideas' to some people and 'inspired' others in their own projects just as others have given me ideas and inspired me.

Edit - I agree with Knoj below and my post wasn't just for DETN8R. I hope it's cleared things up for everyone - like I said its all in the log:) . Apologies once again to DETN8R if I took things the wrong way.

7. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

May I say that I don't think the tone of the post was a blaming one, I myself am in awe of your project, and have been working on a project of my own (who isn't?).

I believe the question might have been placed to help the rest of us ease our feelings of doubt for the origional-ness of our own projects by finding how many things you have borrowed. While everyone likes to be origional, how many of us can come up with an idea that no one else has tried, or at least mentioned somewhere here on bit-tech.

I myself am very happy to hear you have borrowed ideas, and I know that I will be borrowing ideas from you (shower hose!) Macro Black was the one project that drew me in, and now I'm stuck with a life of nerdom... Gotta love it though.

8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I'm flattered Morphos. I will do as you request (even if just for you m8 ;) ). The original Pics to date are all downsized from 1280x960 originals but I can take some larger ones (if required) when the project is finished and post them on BiT-Tech for people to download as wallpaper if they want? I am not sure which size would be appropriate though - is 1280x960 ok? Which size is optimal for people(1200x1600 seems the biggest wallpaper I've seen)? Don't answer now, have a think and let me know closer to when it's finished and I'll see what I can do.

I am embarassed to admit my own desktop at home is running the original pic of the inline jack plugs shown in the most recent update, heh :rolleyes: . I guess that shot is my fave as it's fairly abstract and simple and I like the colour. It looks quite nice as I am running at about 1280x1024 anyway. Err...ahh...it keeps me focussed on the project ...ok? /goes off to hide

9. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Oh my god. You are truely a mod elite. :jawdrop: :dremel:

The craftsmanship and origionality on that thing is just breathtaking. Thats the first great acrylic case i have seen ever. This sets the standards for acrylic cases. Keep up the good work :D

10. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Sorry if I came across as acusing you. I was just wondering if you had used a specific mod or something that you had seen somewhere. Its nice to see you really made an effort to be original. I didnt expect such a lengthy reply but it was very appreciated and I thank you for your response. You put alot of effort into writing out your posts and its sometimes hard for me to remember each detail about your mods as they are just so great im drawn away from the "how you did it" and more to the "what he did is so damn cool", I know that last statement was a bit vague but I hope you get what I meant. I do try to make the effort to read your explanations.

I know I myself have copied other people but as you said, I try to add my own touch to it. As you have probably seen in my thread I will be using some payphone conduit for some cable myself but I have come up with a nice idea for it which I should be able to show in awhile, although I havnt tested it out yet.. If you would like to hear about it email me or contact me on Aim or ICQ if you use either of those, my info is in my profile. I would really like to pick your brain G-Gnome. Youve made such an impact on the whole modding scene in a matter of days.

Again, thanks for the lengthy reply.

11. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

*breathes a sigh of relief*.. phew, thanks for not taking my reply the wrong way DETN8R and I apologise for misinterpreting your question. I'll definitely get in touch with you (might be picking your brains instead!) - ICQ or email me anytime at all (I'm not at home atm but I'll add you to my ICQ asap). I would definitely love to hear about your idea and I might have some suggestions as to how you might use it (I had thoughts about what you could do with it when I was reading your project log earlier in the week). :)

12. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Uh...........you..............uh....................did.............um...........

WHY AM I NOT DEAD ALREADY FROM THE EXTREME MADNESS OF THIS MODIFICATION?! I HAVE TO KILL MYSELF! AHH!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I THINK THIS IS THE BEST MOD I HAVE EVER SEEN!

People call me a perfectionist... I think I'm organized, then I see this! YOU ARE AMAZING! THIS IS ALMOST AN EQUIVILENT IN PROPORTION TO WHEN HITLER KILLED HIMSELF! IT'S SO EXCITING!

13. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Could you post it, please :naughty: :naughty: (maybe when it's all finnished?)
    Oops, its modding time :dremel:

14. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU "KING OF PLEXIGLASS"! Although if you want it could be "KING OF CLEAR PLASTIC PRODUCTS".

15. Hallo

Hallo What's a Dremel?

Hi G-nome

I read about your project at my favourite german watercooling site, http://www.aqua-computer-systeme.de/

Your project is the best planned and built case I have ever seen so far. The way of you planning works out very well. I am very impressed.

But I have some suggestions about the cooling. Especially because I am a great aqua-computer fan. You really should consider using AC. Here is why.

They have silver cooling blocks with plexi top, which would be perfect for your case.

They have watercooled hdd cases which could be chromed.

They have a case for the eheim 1046 and 1048 to prevent magnetic fields of damaging the hdds.

From all tests which I have read the AC products were always top.
    And even for you system an eheim 1046 will be more than enough for very good temps. You would have more room in your case and nearly no noise from the eheim.

You might consider their uv-activ green water-additiv(glowmotion).

Well, if you arleady have all your parts this is nothing for you but you might check the forum and the shop to get an idea.

And no I dont work for them, I just think they would fit in very nicely with this perfect case.

Bye

16. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Welcome to the forums Hallo! :)

Thanks for taking the time to post, I will answer your suggestions as best I can. Firstly, though, I commend you in your dedication to AC's products. They have some very fine WC gear.

17. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

gnome
    u never fail to impress me in the way u take the times to answer everyones comments or suggestions that has to be the best thing about this thread i have seen so far bar none i know its not somehting u have to do to the detail that u do so that fact that u do is something beyonf the norm that i can see just like the awsome case u are building

18. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

i know you already have a complete water cooling situation by DD and im not knocking them in any way but wouldnt you like to have a S.S.C. (silver special cascade) by cathar , being as its the best there is . i know its a bit expencive and you say you have limits even for this project but its the one part you really really should have as it would go great with the system

hint hint
    /em wink
    /em secret modders hand shake

19. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Err...no.

I quite like danger den stuff (besides already having it). Could you post me a link to an independent review of the SSC (preferably one where it is stacked up against the latest DD Maze4 or other waterblocks from say AC and so forth)? I think once you get to the high-end waterblocks and you aren't overclocking you are just splitting hairs (or trying to 'one-up' the next guy) - heck, what's a degree or two when you are talking about the kind of temps you get with this stuff? Cool enough is cool enough in my books.

If it's for looks - well, one might argue a spangly, funky looking waterblock falls into the classification of a 'Pre-mod' (unless you mod it):naughty: ;) Mine won't even be visible in this mod, so all I want is a solid performer (though, looking at the amazing bench test results of the Maze4, DD is much more than a 'solid' performer).

:)

20. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Can't wait to see how your gonna stealth the mobo, maybe have it all enclosed in a nice chrome box, and have the tubes enter the 'brain' muwahahahha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.