1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

Ohh.. Thx for clearing that one up. :blush:

2. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

:confused: :eyebrow:

Did you actually read the original log that I posted the link to in my previous post just then? Umm, even mentioning the words "chrome paint" reveals that you probably should go through them again. The answers are in there (both in the original log and the latest update for the specific items you mentioned). I mention the chrome in a HUGE amount of detail here and right throughout the logs as I talk about each component/mod.

Hope that linky gets you started ok.

:)

Edit - Ahh DETN8R, beat me to it :thumb:

3. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

I know, you didn´t say Chome "Paint" But only Chrome.

You see, I didnt even think about "Chrome" in general, I somehow added paint after the word in my own mind :rolleyes:

Nevermind, Now i know what you mean :baby:

A simple case of misunderstaning :)

4. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Does anybody know the normal cost of chroming say a PSU drive cover?

5. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

Hey G-Gnome,
    Exactly where did you purchase the two different kind of chrome LED holders (like the ones used under the VMD, and the other kind on the PSU) also where did you buy all your rubber grommets at. O really liked how you used the awesome looking led holders and right amount of rubber grommets throughout the case, Excellent job, your case is the best I have ever seen
    :clap:

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

If you're in a pinch, RadioShack has those LED holders. Other than there, you can get them at most any electronics place - they're pretty common. The gromets can be bought at hardware stores like Ace or True Value...

7. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

Thanks Dad :D but i have seen those ones before, i really liked the one kind of led holders he had, and that kind i cant find on any elctronic component website, so i was wondering where he got both kinds of led holders he used so i can get those exact ones. That way i will know it will look really nice like in his picutres, i know they are all teh same msotly but i specifically am looking for thsoe ones, i am sure he will be able to answer my question once he comes online.

8. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

DETN8R, Hmm, wait a sec, the fan, wasnt it already metallic when he bought it? and then he just sprayed the backside of it with spray colour? im sure thats what he said ;)

The other parts though, might be cromed ;)

9. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

hey g-gnome again i hate to get another question going in here before you answer my other one, but i know you have a time difference and i hope that by teh tiem yuo check bit-tech you can answer both at the same time. My other question is where the pcrider boards are located at in the computer. I know that the cables for the leds and the switches all run to teh main junction box and then the power to the pcrider goes down the two stainless steel hoses on the bottom of the box, and i think that is where the LED cables run down also. Just let me know so i can understand how this pcrider thing is wired, it looks interesting, and it is hard to get information about considering they dont make it anymore. i really want to buy one too, but i cant find any of the original pcrider boards like the one you have anymore sicne they went out of business, let me know if you bought any extras while computning was still in business. If so possibly i could arrange to apy you for them.
    Thanks
    -Vcdman

10. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

I don't think he has any extra ones considering they're like $50 US for each one :eeek: but then again... all that chroming... he seems to have a fat wallet.... :p I wish i bought more of them when they were in business.. i only got one.. stupid me :( Ive seen other kits though tehres a kit called knight light or something where there are 16 5mm LEDS attached to a pcb board. It is only limited to flashing left and right though and doesnt have all those neat features like the pc rider.. so no switch. But its about the same price... like $40 us or something. Damn.. i cant find the link to it.. it has something to do w/ knight rider. But i found this other site.. http://www.melvine.be/casemodding/index.php?page=shop&article=MC-004 they sell similar kits at a much lower price.. but they are located kinda far away i think. If u find out where i can get a pc rider kit too, lemme know ;)

wow this kit is actually pretty neat :D i think ill get one for myself... i never thought about that..

11. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Vcdman -

Chrome Bezels under VFD and over front switches were modded from these. Note that these are modified (sorry, skipped the modding in my log). I ripped out the light/wires in there and the plastic colored light cover, removed the sticker on them and cleaned them up.

Chrome Bezels on PSU and rest of case here. These came with actual LEDs (dim red things) as opposed to the 240v mini-lite/color filter of the others. I removed the lights from these as well to just use the sexy holders :naughty:

As to spare PCRiders - fohkus is spot on with the price (and my non-existant spares). I bought 4 but they are all being used so no spares sorry. As to where they are in the case - they aren't anywhere as yet nor are 24 of the 32 leds they will be running. You guys can speculate away but all will be revealed ;)

The rubber grommets were bought from the same place as the LED holders (there are only the two sizes).

Fohkus - checked out the link and that looks like a nice bit of kit. Pity it's only HDD acty, 7 leds as well. Have you checked out Macromans great Knight-Rider and HDD Acty displays? They are excellent and a lot better IMO - more LED options and flexible tweaking of speeds/patterns etc.

Znurf - The fan frame was brushed Aluminium to start with and I got it chromed as the Alu looked totally out of place next to all the chrome. Even polished Alu clashes (though less so) as it's a very pale 'grey-white' looking metal compared to the deep, cold, mirror-finish of proper chrome.

Do I have deep pockets/fat wallet? Nope. I saved for ages for this stuff and also bought things over a 2 month period (as and when I got paid from work and then had some $$ to spare). I have spent my budget now and the pockets are so shallow I can't even get the edges of my fingernails in - No wait...they've been sewn up!:sigh: I don't bother carrying a wallet anymore either - nothing to put in it...:waah:

12. master_akira

master_akira What's a Dremel?

This case is simply amazing G-Gnome. It reminds of Zapwizard's custom media PC in the way that you always find little extra things to do that add to the overall effect of your case. The attention to detail is truly impressive. Also I am very impressed that although you have included so many different custom pieces and parts in your case it does not look overcrowded.

Keep up the awesome work! :clap:

13. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

G-Gnome & Chroming

In other words... how much did it cost you g-gnome to get say a PSU drive cover chromed. How much was the total chroming so far...

14. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

:brrr:

hehe. I believe that question has been asked more than once in both parts of the log and I think G-gnome has purposely not answered it because what you're asking for is the 'normal' price of a service, the price completely depends on where you live and what the 'going rate' is in your part of the world.

Besides that, speculation runs rampant in unfinished project logs....lol. And I'm willing to stick my neck out and speculate that G-gnome has probably paid more for this project than most of us would spend on any 3 complete systems.

Do yourself a favor and check your local phone directory for Plating/Nickel/Chrome plating. A complete case can be done for about $50 where I live, and a drive cover can be done for about $12. Call around and find the best price.. that's what you'll have to go with regardless of what anyone else here says is "normal" price....

my 2¢,
    luvbug :dremel:

15. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

How did you go about finishing off the ATX Plug with the shower hose?

I just looked over your log and you mentioned twisting and pushing the wires through but you never actually posted a picture of it finished. Then later on in the log I found a picture with the atx plug with some hose on it but how do you plan on finishing off the connector?

Edit: Dont tell me your getting the atx connector chromed as well?

Last edited: 7 Oct 2003
  16. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Thats all i really wanted to know! I just wanted a rough estimate... Thanks

17. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

One point of critic:
    I understand that you want to remove your drives whenever you want to, but how do you do this?? (I know the Lian Li system, got myself a PC7323A HDD bracket)
    Won't the hoses to the rad be in the way of the drive bracket??

18. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

I registered for the forums awhile back but never found the time to really post something useful. Anyway, I just moved and haven't been able to check for your updates. I finally managed to get near a comp and check it out. I must say, you have been a busy fellow. Reading back a bit I rediscovered many details that had slipped my mind. So truly amazing and unique. Your time invested boggles my mind. When I finally worked up the courage to touch a Dremel (well, a dremel wannabe) and barely took the time to plan at all. Though I do regret it, my first window came out ok. It is true the modding is an addiction. I soon found myself with a transformed case and an empty wallet. Anyway, your mod alone has inspired and changed many of my ideas and plans for upcomming projects (if I ever get the money) and I wished to offer a thought that may assist your funding (or lack there of if that is the case). Some modders have been able to obtain funds through sponsors. A fellow thats runs a site by the name of evandor (or something simular to that) has had Intel funding for several of his projects. Perhaps, due to the extreme response and publicity of this mod, you may be able to obtain simular funding. As I said, just a thought. I understand that in the case of evandor, he was approached by Intel to build the cases but none the less, the idea is there.

May the mod continue without fail and problems. Good luck and best wishes to fast healing of your ankle.

19. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

a few people have been approached by intel to build systems e.g. mashie... the bit-tech team...

20. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Sorry for such a late answer but my phone line and with it my not-so- broadband connection were down from friday to monday, I didn't mean that you have to have a very expensive hacksaw but you need a strong one and I had several 'floppy all wobbling' hacksaws and having a good one made a nice difference.

EDIT: I got it cheaper, I spent about US$ 15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.