1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freaky_Tweak

Freaky_Tweak What's a Dremel?

I too registered to say that this is the most AMAZING MOD I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    That's about all I can really say, other than that you are probably the cause of at least 20 new users that have joined the forums solely to compliment this wonderful project, myself incuded. :p

2. harten

harten What's a Dremel?

nice work man :thumb:
    Looking forward to next uppdate.

3. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

welcome to the forum boys

:thumb:

(wow...i got to say that :cooldude: )

4. harten

harten What's a Dremel?

Thanks

5. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Truely Amazing!!

I cant believe u've built that!!!... thats sooo smart......

But another thing i cant beleive is the amount of knowledge on bit-tech... we can find out anything about just about anything relating to computers... cool eh!!!

Rm

6. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

LOL 20 try 200, I bet its close, I am one.

Now I ain't pestering (much :D), but any chance of finding out when next update is due, or could you tell us what next update thread is gonna be called, save me checking this thread every 5 minutes.

7. Randomboy

Randomboy What's a Dremel?

Daniel, I added this thread to my favorites the first time I read it :D

8. Freaky_Tweak

Freaky_Tweak What's a Dremel?

I stand corrected... but i think they got the idea lol, this guy's friggin good!!!!!! keep them comin man, im looking forward to seeing the next update, as i love this project. I agree with the many ppl in this topic that said u make a clear case look good

9. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

G-Gnome, as you know I got myself some of that shower hose.

Am I correct in thinking that the hose itself has a smaller rubber tube that runs the length of it in order for the water to run through?

Does this tube come out with the metal part staying intact?

Also, any tips on cutting it?

10. chairman666

chairman666 What's a Dremel?

1st let me say that ur case is awesome g-gnome.

now, i hope i don't sound like a jerk or anything but i was kinda disappionted when i saw the optical drive bezels. they look way too stock to me when compared to the rest of the case. also, the off center eject bottons don't match the rest of the front of the case. what i think would look better is if u: made custom bezels out of some of that white plexi with no openings for the headphone jack or volume control, move the eject button to the center, and use the leds u put in the buttons as activity lights, then of course chrome the bezels.

other than that everything on the case is perfect in design and execution.

11. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Welcome to the forums all you new members! Thanks for the nice words :)

Ahah!...I sense a cry for help!/runs to phone booth to change...
    Tube comes out with a little work - I took it out of all my hose.

I clamped the hose to the edge of a workbench and cut it with a hacksaw. It is so thin with those sliding/moving joins that it catches really easy and is difficult (make that near impossible) to cut except on the backwards movement of the hacksaw. Basically, no pressure at all (and I mean none - you can even lift the saw up altogether) pushing the saw forward but lots of cutting pressure as you drag it backwards. Cuts easy then. Use a good blade too - I first tried a cheap blade and stripped the teeth! np with the good blade though). You will get rough edges - file the worst and use the heatshrink like I did to cover the remaining sharp edges.

To remove the centre hose, cut it with the hose inside then slide it out. For the ends, try using one prong off the end of an opened pair of needle-nose pliers to lever out the plug holding the rubber hose in. There is normally an inside and an outside 'plug' with the rubber sandwiched between - you only want to pop the inside one - the outside one helps keep the ends nice and stops the fittings coming off. This can take a reasonable amount of work depending on your hose.

Apologies not covering this in the log so far - there is a lot more I just skipped over as the log would have just gotten out of control! Gives you an idea how much more there is to even the simplest looking mod. ;)

Good luck DET, email me if you are still unsure. :)

12. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

After taking a closer look at the pics I saw this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What happened to the shower hose comming from the junction box to the DVD-drive??
    The junction box looks damaged :confused:
    The hose seems to be sitting in an angle in the junctionbox.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2003
  13. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

i know you're not asking me, but i think you may just be seeing the mounting holes in the hard drive caddy being lit up.

if you mean the greenish blob on the shower hose half way down the second pic, and the green blobs on the justion box they are just the mounting holes. you can see them if you look closely in the first pic.

or i might have missed something.....

RoB

14. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Edited my post
    Taak a good look at the hose comming out of the junction box, look at the angle it's making and then look at the hose behind it.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2003
  15. ]DL[JimmyJazz

]DL[JimmyJazz What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, yeah, it looks like the shower hose won't turn a very tight radius, and in forcing it, the grommet went bye-bye. Give us a close-up shot, G-Nome! :dremel:

-jj

16. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

ahhh i get you now, i couldnt see what the problem was before!

yeah, id agree with jj, it looks like its missing a grommet.

but it looks only g-gnome can solve this!

RoB

17. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Missing grommet? = No
    Hose can’t bend to a tight enough radius? = No
    G-gnome stupidly pulling on hose without even noticing it? = Yes! :blush:

Thanks for spotting that Raid51! I hadn’t even noticed :duh:

The grommet had popped inwards a bit and the irony is that it was the work of (literally) less than a second to press the hose forward and pop it straight back out! The grommets are stretched over and stuck to the hoses like glue so it is a simple matter to wiggle the hose about to get the grommets sitting right.

As requested, I took these a few minutes ago to show you what it looks like now (you can see from the wider shot that the radius of any bend wasn’t the cause):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I am glad at least somebody is on the ball with this project! :rolleyes: :blush:

I think the saying is "cannot see the forest for the trees"...or perhaps "cannot see the grommets for the cables"...?

Thanks also phaSe and ]DL[JimmyJazz :thumb:

:)

18. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Nice work on those cables G-Gnome. I have an intersting Idea myself for my cabling.

Also, I see you are adding the Bit-tech watermark to your images.

19. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

WOW. :jawdrop:

20. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

How many posts have I seen with a single word describing astonishment in this thread? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.