1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Great work!

One question though, why go with dangerden blocks? They certanly are not the best, and if I may say so, they usualy hang aroud the rear of the pack preformance-wise. Why not get a whitewater or cascade + decent gpu and chipset blocks?

Just my $0.02 ;)

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

thats freakin profound man! thats well up on the ranking of best mod ever on bit tech, problalbly the best looking i have seen certainly! nottechnically up with zapwizard, but thats mullah! :)

3. dallas

dallas What's a Dremel?

G-Gnome. excellent work, :clap: :clap:

4. SweMOD

SweMOD What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow: :eeek: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :rock: :rock:

sweeeeet update :d

I love all the things you have done with the case...
    must be worth more than $100.000 ...
    as the work with the case must cost you lots of hours :p

I wouldnt mind buying the case for at least 1 million...
    if I got the money tho :grr:

5. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

No, that's just a rumour.

Although, I did have to upgrade my other computer's CPU and add a new Hard Drive to cope with the project log... ;)

:lol:

6. SweMOD

SweMOD What's a Dremel?

cool :p

7. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

kind of really off-topic, does anyone know any good places to get like 1500 mcd 5mm white leds/1000 mcd 3mm white leds in USA. I have already asked G-Gnome what he suggested to use if i were to put many leds in my case, and keep it not too bright, but he is in asutralia and i am in usa. I can only find 6500 mcd or so. Perhaps someone knows a place to get some

8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

1) At the time, I had never even heard of whitewater or cascade blocks (remember I am first-time water-cooling)

2) All the reviews I read on several reputable sites rated the DD blocks as amongst the best they had ever tested? So I'd have to disagree about being 'around the rear of the pack' from the many reviews/head-to-head tests I read. And 'cool enough is cool enough' in my book.

3) I'm not overclocking (much) so anything more expensive (like cathars blocks) would be wasted expense. I love those Cathar blocks now but cost lots of $$ (and a waiting list apparently).

So they may not be 'the best' but seem to be amongst 'the best' in all the head to heads I read. They're certainly good enough for my purposes.

Hope that explains my reasoning well-enough. :)

9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Not the right thread Vcdman - please ask in the modding or electronics section. Google search and check out the suppliers list stickys in those forums.

Stay on topic please.

:)

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Update! Aahhhh.... :brrr: (drools like Homer Simpson getting his hands on a box of donuts).

Very nice work as always, G-gnome! :dremel:

Seeing as you're going for a Maze4GPU block, and I get the subtle but distinct feeling that you might be into chrome :worried: , just remember that those blocks polish up quite nicely indeed!

[​IMG]

(based on an original idea by Coolmeister: )

[​IMG]

11. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

Thank you for another dose of your digital crack.

I feel like I should be viewing this page under a flickering street lamp and watching over my shoulder for the cops. It's just too good to be legal.

May the mods look favorably on you as you complete your project, the end of which we are anticipating.

12. m3t4tr0n

m3t4tr0n What's a Dremel?

simply amazing. i've never seen a thing created with such a love for details.

13. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Thanks Nexxo :)

I have seen Coolmeister's (and your) blocks and all I have to say is Oooooh BABY! :baby:

Polished up it's the best looking GPU block I've seen.

I'll be leaving mine black though as it won't be visible at all when the case is done (all that 'stealthing' people keep talkin' about :rolleyes: ) :D

I'd really like to do that in a future mod though. Mad skillz.

14. phocion

phocion What's a Dremel?

Mr. G-gnome... sir...

I'd ike some clarification about your use of the 3mm neoprene "rubber slabs" inside the pump housing. I'm not familiar with the dimension differences between the Eheim 1250 and the 1048 so I was wondering about one thing:
    • Were the rubber slabs used solely for keeping the now smaller 1250 (after it was gloriously trimmed of its fat) snug within the 1048 housing or were they used for some other purpose? You did reference the fit as "squashing" a V-8 into a Toyota... or something of that nature.
      ;)
    Just a thought, this was mentioned by someone earlier, ever thought of dressing up the pump with green plexi? I don't know if the relay you are using itself will indicate the on/off status of the pump, but how about creating something similar to the glow of the power distribution box or the LEDs underneath the green plexi on the PSU to signal that the pump is... pumping?

Plain-Jane, yet beautifully chromed, pump housing...
    • [​IMG]
    to something like so...
    • [​IMG]
    or *in a deeper voice* like so...
    • [​IMG]

Keep up the inspirational work, G-gnome. Some of us are taking notes... and keeping a nice clean blank page for the up-coming motherboard stealth shenanigan.
    :thumb:

15. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

phocion,

These pictures are awesome. :thumb:

Are these your mods?

16. phocion

phocion What's a Dremel?

Oh I wish they were, redhawk!

But they're both G-gnome's doings. Props to him, yes?

Both pics were from Part 1 of the Orac3 saga. The middle pic is of the power supply and the last pic is the "power distribution" module. BTW, the power distribution green plexi sandwich trick is what got me hooked.

17. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info phocion,

I will read the Part 1 now. Those pictures are hard to stop looking at. I have to try something like this.

18. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

I guess some of us can't stress this enough...

READ ALL OF G-GNOMES POSTS BEFORE POSTING YOURSELF!

This will help save time and energy for everybody reading this, and also save clutter and useless posts by people who could answer their own question by searching and reading on their own for a couple of minutes.

19. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

i think he used those in order to reduce noise too

20. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Still by far the best pc I have ever seen, looking Loooovvvveeellllyyy keep it up :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.